Visual Assist
 Technical Support
 1543: Had to downgrade to 1541

You must be registered to post a reply.
Click here to register.

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format: BoldItalicizeUnderlineStrikethrough Align leftCenterAlign right Insert horizontal ruleUpload and insert imageInsert hyperlinkInsert email addressInsert codeInsert quoted textInsert listInsert Emoji

Forum code is on.
Html is off.

Check to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
jpage4500 Posted - Dec 20 2006 : 4:21:37 PM
Just installed 1543 public beta and loaded up a project I've been working on today. First thing I noticed was a lot of empty tree items in the class browser (bottom half of the VA View). More importantly, I tried to use Alt+G like I'm used to and it just beeped at me.

I tried to clear temp files and rebuild/restart but same problem. Sorry, but I ended up going back to 1541 since Alt+G was a big one for me.. plus, I didn't have any complaints with 1541 anyway.

Of course, when an update comes out I'll try again :)

j
23   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
feline Posted - Feb 15 2007 : 3:32:41 PM
I am glad this is fixed for you!

At the same time, this is quite unexpected. I have often forward declared a class just like this in my own code and I have never seen empty tree items.
jpage4500 Posted - Feb 15 2007 : 3:26:30 PM
I finally spent some time playing with this to see if there was something specific in my code that was causing this issue.

I did find some typedef's that were duplicated in 2 places. This seemed to make a difference but I still had the same problem - empty tree items.

What seemed to be the fix for me was removing a forward declaration that wasn't necessary in a low-level class. I included a snippet of this below. Not sure why this would cause problems since I have the same class declared in other places and that isn't causing a problem. But at least for now I'd consider this one fixed for me!

-----------------------------
class CFmCore; // removing this line fixed the empty tree..

class CFmLinkedItem
{
public:
<snip>
feline Posted - Jan 22 2007 : 11:03:11 AM
I have the screen shots, thank you for these. One thing I am noticing is that the class CFmServiceSecurity contains the two classes FMVector<...> and FMVectorP<...>

Are you seeing this problem with both template and non template classes, or only with template classes?
Do you always see this problem with some classes, e.g. CFmServiceSecurity?
If you do, then do you have the time to create a new dummy project and add these classes to it, and see if you still get this problem?
jpage4500 Posted - Jan 19 2007 : 5:45:28 PM
Thanks for the help!

Yes, it's happening in many classes but not all. I did a find in all files and verified the method names aren't re-used elsewhere in other classes either (if that matters). The workspace I'm using only has 1 project.

1 interesting note is when I mouse-over the method name, the HCB correctly highlights the method. But, when I put the cursor inside the method, the HCB highlights an empty entry in the list. I've got 2 more pictures uploaded to show what I mean.

This particular method is private, but it happens to any in the class (public, virtual, etc).
feline Posted - Jan 19 2007 : 07:05:54 AM
A long shot, but the classes that have this problem, are they defined more than once in the solution?

e.g. the solution contains two projects and each project contains the class? This might help to explain where the extra items are coming from, but not why they are blank.
feline Posted - Jan 18 2007 : 7:18:12 PM
I have the screen shots:

Are you seeing this on lots of classes, or only one or two?
sjaffe are you still seeing these blank items in the HCB?

I am wondering if there is any pattern, something to give us a clue about the cause.
jpage4500 Posted - Jan 18 2007 : 2:42:37 PM
a little more info..

- I did rebuild and clear out the cache.. no effect.

- I also noticed the empty methods in the tree take me to a method that is listed correctly farther down below. So, it's as if the same line number is in the tree twice.

I should also say that the Alt+G problem I reported in the first post seems to be fixed. So, it's just the tree that's the issue I see.
jpage4500 Posted - Jan 18 2007 : 2:32:27 PM
I just upgraded to 1544 and am having the same issue.

I sent 2 pictures to the support address. But, it looks a lot like the picture already posted here.. empty items in the bottom half of the VA tab.

I do get a tooltip and clicking on it takes me to the correct line number. So, it's just as-if the method name (in this case) isn't showing up.

The example in my picture is pretty simple too.. here's the method:
[.h]
    void CheckConnectionStatus();
[.cpp]
/** Check if any servies are connected/connecting. If not, disconnect network */
void CFmServiceSecurity::CheckConnectionStatus()
{
  ... snip ...
}
feline Posted - Jan 17 2007 : 07:34:19 AM
These two should be totally separate problems. The line number being offset for the last enum is a known and easily reproduced problem.

The blank items is not one I recognise. I am tempted to blame it on some form of corruption in VA's symbol database, but this is not really a useful answer, and it does not get us very far.
sjaffe Posted - Jan 16 2007 : 4:14:31 PM
Note: I am still seeing the same problem you are with the enum entries having the wrong line number in the class browser. It may be the blank icons and the wrong line numbers are two separate problems.
sjaffe Posted - Jan 16 2007 : 3:50:22 PM
I don't believe it is something in this file. I commented out the entire file except for the one class in question (sans its contents) and it still had the blank icons. I reparsed this file after the changes, but I did not rebuild the symbol database.

I have now rebuilt the symbol database and the original file no longer has the problem <sigh>. I was reluctant to do so because I thought we might "lose" the problem. I'll continue to monitor this to see if it still exists in any other files.
feline Posted - Jan 16 2007 : 1:47:26 PM
Can you make a copy of this header file and then delete enough code, while still seeing this problem, to be able to send us a copy of this header for testing purposes?

If so then please submit the files via the form:

http://www.wholetomato.com/support/contact.asp

including this thread ID or URL in the description, so we can match it up.

If VA was simply remembering something then rebuilding the symbol database should have fixed the problems, but I am under the impression you have tried this and it did not help.
sjaffe Posted - Jan 16 2007 : 12:52:08 PM
I have found a header file where the classes in it are having the blank icon problem. If I comment out the entire contents of the class (an empty class definition), the blank icons are still present. However, if I leave the class as is but just change its name, then it looks fine. It seems that VAX is somehow remembering something about this class even after it has been removed.
sjaffe Posted - Jan 16 2007 : 10:41:22 AM
Yes, this is the effect I am seeing. If I close, then re-open the IDE I get the same results (blank icons and wrong line numbers).
feline Posted - Jan 16 2007 : 06:12:31 AM
I am seeing the wrong line number for an enum here. Adding this enum to a class:

enum enumMultiLineFruit
    {
        APPLE,
        ORANGE
    }; // ORANGE takes me to this line

both the HCB and alt-g jump to the last line, rather than the line where ORANGE actually is. Is this the effect you are seeing?

case=784

So far I am not seeing the blank or extra items. If you open a new IDE and open the file that contains this problem enum on its own do you still see this problem with duplicate items?
sjaffe Posted - Jan 15 2007 : 6:32:25 PM
Yes, I get a tooltip that is blank for the prototype part, but lists a filename and line number. The file line numbers are similar to the line numbers of the non-blank items, but I don't see a pattern to the order (they are neither ascending numerically nor alphabetically based on the symbol name). An example: I have an enum with three values. There are five items showing up in the class browser. The first two are blank (line 84 and 87). The next three items are showing lines 85, 84 and 87. The actual lines should be 85, 84 and 86 (last item is wrong). If I double click on these items, they move the cursor to the same line numbers are the tooltip indicates. So now there are two problems: the blank items in the list AND some of the line numbers are incorrect.
feline Posted - Jan 15 2007 : 5:12:42 PM
If anything the picture just confuses things. All items being blank would make a degree of sense, but some of them?

If you hover your mouse over one of these blank items do you still get a tooltip?
feline Posted - Jan 12 2007 : 12:22:07 PM
Can you post a screen shot of this effect? If not then can you please submit a screen shot via the form:

http://www.wholetomato.com/support/contact.asp

including this thread ID or URL in the description, so we can match it up. I can then post it here. Hopefully this will offer some clues.

Do you know of any obvious differences / changes, to explain why this works some of the time, but not all of the time?
sjaffe Posted - Jan 12 2007 : 10:35:09 AM
I've shut down eVC and reopened and still have the problem. The database build has completed. I changed to the File View tab and back several times with no change in the blank entries.

feline Posted - Jan 12 2007 : 10:03:09 AM
When you upgrade to a new build of VA the symbol database will be rebuilt when you first load the IDE. It is possible that this is a factor. However I cannot explain why it would have this effect.

I can understand nothing showing up in the class browser while the symbol database is being rebuilt, but icons only does not make sense.

If you see this again does changing tabs (assuming VA View is docked next to file view, etc) away from VA View and back again make any difference?
sjaffe Posted - Jan 10 2007 : 3:45:08 PM
I just loaded 1543 this morning and am experiencing the same thing: many items in the class browser tree that just have an icon but no text. I closed down eVC and restarted. It is working correctly at the moment.
feline Posted - Dec 21 2006 : 07:38:48 AM
For what its worth I have used VA 1543 on my projects without any such problems.
support Posted - Dec 20 2006 : 8:48:55 PM
If your problems recur with the next build, see if you can isolate the culprit. Start with a new project and include/reference symbols that normally are recognized.

© 2023 Whole Tomato Software, LLC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000