Visual Assist
 Technical Support
 1543: comment lines + extra space

You must be registered to post a reply.
Click here to register.

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format: BoldItalicizeUnderlineStrikethrough Align leftCenterAlign right Insert horizontal ruleUpload and insert imageInsert hyperlinkInsert email addressInsert codeInsert quoted textInsert listInsert Emoji

Forum code is on.
Html is off.

Check to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
bugfix Posted - Jan 16 2007 : 09:03:18 AM
since some recent 15xx build 'VAX comment lines' started adding an extra space between // and code to be commented.
this is pretty annoying because its incompatible w/ IDEs built in comment/uncomment feature and hence breaks code formatting.
please change it back to old behavior or make it an autotext entry so one can adjust the format.

-bugfix
10   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
feline Posted - Jun 02 2007 : 09:43:24 AM
FAQ entry describing the new registry key is here:

http://docs.wholetomato.com?W359
support Posted - May 31 2007 : 01:13:48 AM
case=4570 implemented in build 1557
feline Posted - Feb 02 2007 : 12:28:40 PM
True, I have been running into this myself every now and then for ages. Normally it only effects me after copy / paste a block of code, since I have format after paste turned on, and the comments get indented.

I suppose this means I cannot blame your modified version of VA either

case=387
bugfix Posted - Feb 01 2007 : 3:40:30 PM
i just found another issue w/ vax comment lines (regardless of customized version:P)

select some lines, uses vax comment lines, indent w/ tab.
now try using vax uncomment lines, its disabled!
so one either has to unindent before using vax uncomment lines or using IDE built in uncomment lines which borks formatting due to the extra space vax has inserted.
bugfix Posted - Jan 16 2007 : 3:19:30 PM
thanks a lot
feline Posted - Jan 16 2007 : 2:37:43 PM
I am a great believer in regular expressions, but I hardly ever seem to use them in my code. Probably to do with the types of code I write *shrug*. This is a solid reason for avoiding surround selection.

I have put in a feature request for this to see what the developers think of it.

case=4570
bugfix Posted - Jan 16 2007 : 1:49:32 PM
quote:
Originally posted by feline

Do I even want to ask why you don't like VA's surround selection? This is the feature I would recommend for un-commenting this code.

simple: select some part of xpath, regexp, math expression and try replacing it w/ / or * . what happens it gets commented which is last thing i want:)

quote:

Personally when doing this sort of this I would change the code to read:

void foo()
{
#if 0
    foo1();
    foo2();
    foo3();
    foo4();
#endif
}

and then use ALT-SHIFT-T to move the "#if 0" line down one line at a time. I have settled on this after trying various other methods, and for me it is the best solution, since it is simple, fast, easy and reliable.

well everyone has developed it's work flow over the years which are not easily changed. stupid habit of humans i guess:)

the thing is adding new features is a nice thing but changing behavior which was there for years i consider a bad thing esp. if there is no option to turn on old behavior, like the curly bracket thing.
just my 5 cents
feline Posted - Jan 16 2007 : 1:09:49 PM
Personally I don't know why the space is there, but I suspect it is to help readability when commenting code that starts at column 1.

Do I even want to ask why you don't like VA's surround selection? This is the feature I would recommend for un-commenting this code.

Personally when doing this sort of this I would change the code to read:

void foo()
{
#if 0
    foo1();
    foo2();
    foo3();
    foo4();
#endif
}

and then use ALT-SHIFT-T to move the "#if 0" line down one line at a time. I have settled on this after trying various other methods, and for me it is the best solution, since it is simple, fast, easy and reliable.
bugfix Posted - Jan 16 2007 : 11:21:52 AM
im not talking about block commenting and i've disabled surround selection because it's foobar imho:)
iirc the "breakage" has been introduced in 153x.

void foo()
{
    foo1();
    foo2();
    foo3();
    foo4();
}

i often do smth like this while tracking down bugs:
select foo1..4, use vax "comment LINES" (often via context menu) and then start uncommenting from top w/ delete key.
now i have to take into account that stupid extra space or i'll loose code formatting.
anyways whats the purpose of that extra space? if you start writing documentation using line comments you type // while writing anyways and if you want a space after those // you just type it as well.
feline Posted - Jan 16 2007 : 09:41:26 AM
From memory it has been this way for a long time.
The IDE's comment / uncomment is already incompatible with VA's comment / uncomment feature. We recommend you use one or the other.

If you take this piece of example code:

static void testComment(int foo /* = 0 */)
{
}

select all three lines and press '*' to comment this with VA the /* */ comment on the parameter is modified so the whole three lines are correctly commented out.

When you uncomment these lines VA undoes this, returning the inner comment to how it used to be.

This is one reason for sticking with VA's commenting / uncommenting, since it knows how to undo its self.

© 2023 Whole Tomato Software, LLC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000