Visual Assist
 Technical Support
 AutoComplete when class decl uses macro w/ten args

You must be registered to post a reply.
Click here to register.

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format: BoldItalicizeUnderlineStrikethrough Align leftCenterAlign right Insert horizontal ruleUpload and insert imageInsert hyperlinkInsert email addressInsert codeInsert quoted textInsert listInsert Emoji

Forum code is on.
Html is off.

Check to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
KirillMueller Posted - Feb 16 2007 : 4:10:15 PM
For the following code, VAX's AutoComplete/AutoSuggest features don't work:

#define TEN()

class CTest {
   TEN(a, b, c, d, e, f, g, h, i, j);

int m_iTest;

void testProc() {
      this.
   }
};

Just paste this into a new C++ file, delete "this." and re-type it. The "this" keyword is underlined with a red zigzag line, the dot doesn't get auto-converted to -> and no suggestions are offered. The problem is triggered by the number of arguments to the "TEN" macro: Just removing ", j" from the argument list makes everything work fine. (The number of parameters the TEN macro is declared with doesn't matter.)

Is this some hard-coded limit I've stumbled upon? By setting it to, say, 40, you would make me a happy VAX user again. I have no idea for a workaround, and I really need those macro beasts employed exactly like in the example above.

I've tested it with all versions between 1539 and 1545.

VA_X.dll file version 10.3.1545.0 built 2007.02.15
VAOpsWin.dll version 1.3.4.3
VATE.dll version 1.0.5.7
DevEnv.exe version 8.0.50727.762
msenv.dll version 8.0.50727.762
Font: Consolas 17(Pixels)
Comctl32.dll version 6.0.2900.2982
Windows XP 5.1 Build 2600 Service Pack 2
Single processor
6   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
feline Posted - Feb 23 2007 : 3:50:16 PM
case 3105 is fixed in VA 1548
feline Posted - Feb 22 2007 : 2:31:33 PM
*ah* so this is where macro's with so many parameters are coming from. This makes sense now. Without some form of context it just sounds "odd"
KirillMueller Posted - Feb 22 2007 : 08:46:42 AM
I need a generic wrapper for all interfaces of a COM library that wraps all invocations of all functions. I used the macro solution because I could do this using search/replace in the header file and didn't need to change all implementations, plus several other advantages I'm too lazy to enumerate. My macro

WRAP_COM_METHOD2(Name, Type1, Arg1, Type2, Arg2)

expands to something like

STDMETHODIMP Name(Type1 Arg1, Type2 Arg2) { Entry(); HRESULT hr = Name_Imp(Arg1, Arg2); Exit(); return hr; }
HRESULT Name_Imp(Type1 Arg1, Type2 Arg2)

Some methods of my interfaces have up to 9 parameters, thus, the corresponding macro WRAP_COM_METHOD9 accepts 20 parameters. -- The solution may look messy, I like it anyway.
feline Posted - Feb 20 2007 : 12:45:35 PM
20 parameters! Personally I would suggest a function taking 20 parameters needs looking at and changing, let alone a macro. Once I get beyond 3 or 4 parameters I tend to wrap things up in a structure, since it just makes my life easier. Still, that is a different discussion, and assumes you are in a position to change all of the effected code.

Your workaround fascinates me, since according to the notes on the case I tried a very similar trick with VA's stdafx.h file, but it did not work.

The good news is that one of the developers is looking into this, but I cannot give a good estimate on when this might be fixed yet.
KirillMueller Posted - Feb 18 2007 : 5:59:27 PM
The problem disappears when nine or fewer parameters are used, but I use macros with up to 20 parameters in my code. Does that answer your question?

Anyway, I've found a workaround. The following code (with the same "semantics" as the example above) does not confuse VAX:

#define WRAP(a, b) a b
#define TEN()

class CTest {
   WRAP(TEN, (a, b, c, d, e, f, g, h, i, j));

int m_iTest;

void testProc() {
      this->
   }
};

Employing this workaround makes my code yet more unreadable, but only temporarily I hope
feline Posted - Feb 17 2007 : 07:05:30 AM
Unfortunately this is a known problem

case=3105

Are you able to call macro's with fewer parameters? 10 parameters is quite a lot.

© 2023 Whole Tomato Software, LLC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000