Visual Assist
 Technical Support
 Visual studio crashes inside VA_X.dll

You must be registered to post a reply.
Click here to register.

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format: BoldItalicizeUnderlineStrikethrough Align leftCenterAlign right Insert horizontal ruleUpload and insert imageInsert hyperlinkInsert email addressInsert codeInsert quoted textInsert listInsert Emoji

Forum code is on.
Html is off.

Check to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
JohnCrenshaw Posted - Feb 19 2007 : 3:30:57 PM
I don't know what is going on for sure. I recently moved to a new computer with Vista on it. I have also installed SP1 for visual studio on vista (yes, they have a special SP for users running vista). About once per day now, maybe more, Visual Studio crashes. I hooked in with the debugger on the most recent crash and it was down inside of VA_X.dll. Are there any known issues here?
7   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
sean Posted - Feb 22 2007 : 12:28:04 AM
If that happens again, close the editor window and re-open the file - it shouldn't be necessary to restart the IDE. Should be addressed in the next build.
JohnCrenshaw Posted - Feb 22 2007 : 12:11:04 AM
Email fix is working, but, I just had another issue. For no apparant reason, the '(' key stopped doing anything. I had to close and reopen the IDE to get it back. I expect that this is because you capture the '(' for special processing. Wierd bug.
feline Posted - Feb 20 2007 : 3:35:59 PM
We have had another user seeing regular crashes when working with two IDE's open at the same time, hopefully the email fix will help, it seems to have helped the other user.
JohnCrenshaw Posted - Feb 20 2007 : 3:33:01 PM
quote:
Originally posted by feline

John are you editing any VB code? The problem macke was experiencing was specific to editing VB code.

nope, no VB, just C++
quote:

Apart from these crashes does VA work correctly?

yes, it works briliantly, worth every penny, in fact, I'd live with the crashes if I had to, but I don't expect I will. Thanks for the quick response. Sure beats what you get a MS.
quote:

Do you have DEP installed?

Since I'm drawing a blank on what DEP means, I'm guessing no.
quote:

Can you please go to:

VA Options -> About -> Copy Info

and paste the details (from the clipboard) into this thread. This will give us the basic information about your setup.

Um, in light of your recent email to me, I'm guessing that this info no longer helps.
quote:

Do you ever run more than one IDE at a time?

Absolutely! I usually have 1-2, sometimes 3, rarely 4, I don't remember the last time I was running 5. At the times of the 2 most recent crashes I had 2 and 3 instances respectively.
quote:

What anti-virus software are you using? We have had a couple of recent reports where the anti-virus might be a factor.

ClamWin AV. Latest version.
feline Posted - Feb 20 2007 : 1:11:30 PM
John are you editing any VB code? The problem macke was experiencing was specific to editing VB code.

Apart from these crashes does VA work correctly? I am wondering if there are any permissions problems, see this FAQ:

http://docs.wholetomato.com?W296

Do you have DEP installed? Unlikely, given what you are describing:
http://docs.wholetomato.com?W294

Can you please go to:

VA Options -> About -> Copy Info

and paste the details (from the clipboard) into this thread. This will give us the basic information about your setup.

Do you ever run more than one IDE at a time?
What anti-virus software are you using? We have had a couple of recent reports where the anti-virus might be a factor.
JohnCrenshaw Posted - Feb 20 2007 : 10:39:32 AM
I'm using VC++, however, it looked to me like the problem was of a more general nature. The last VS function in the call stack had a name talking about nested windows or something. I hope it was the same bug. We'll see for sure.

The above post brings up an interesting point. I'm afraid I can't send any source code for this project because of potential patent issues. Sending code would constitute public disclosure. I CAN send call stacks and dumps from when it crashes though.
macke Posted - Feb 20 2007 : 09:03:21 AM
What programming language are you using? I have a similar setup and experience crashes when using VB.NET. Not as frequent as yours however. The VAX team did manage to reproduce the issue in house using some code I gave them so hopefully that will be resolved soon.

© 2023 Whole Tomato Software, LLC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000