Visual Assist
 Technical Support
 Additional in "Open File in Workspace"

You must be registered to post a reply.
Click here to register.

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format: BoldItalicizeUnderlineStrikethrough Align leftCenterAlign right Insert horizontal ruleUpload and insert imageInsert hyperlinkInsert email addressInsert codeInsert quoted textInsert listInsert Emoji

Forum code is on.
Html is off.

Check to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Lio Posted - Feb 20 2007 : 01:03:34 AM
I have a project where it is broken up into 2 solutions the first being compiled into a lib and the second including that lib and compiling an exe.

I want to be able to see all the files in both projects when I run "Open File in Workspace". Ie, is there a way to specify additional files that are listed there that are not in the current solution.

Thankyou in advance.
6   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Lio Posted - May 31 2007 : 9:09:27 PM
I was going to try this but left it for a while because it wasn't going to be so simple. The problem is the second solution contains 17 projects and we also use a custom build tools. These together make it very difficult to have the projects loaded in the solution without building them.

feline Posted - Feb 22 2007 : 2:28:48 PM
That should work. So long as they are header files I don't expect the IDE to try and compile them, but you may have some interesting effects if you have precompiled header files turned on. I am not sure if this tells the compiler to compile all headers or only some of them.
sl@sh Posted - Feb 22 2007 : 04:46:33 AM
A "cleaner" solution might be to just add the shared include files to the other solution. If the include files are all within a certain directory this should work well enough. Just add them to the solution (not the project) using "add->add existing item".
feline Posted - Feb 21 2007 : 08:07:50 AM
Personally I would add the second project into the first project, and then exclude it from the build via the IDE's build menu -> Configuration Manager

This way it is available for reference, and to easily pull in and view the files, but it should not cause any issues, since the compiler has been told to ignore it. Just remember to exclude it from the build in all configurations.
Lio Posted - Feb 20 2007 : 5:36:07 PM
I am using Microsoft Visual Studio 2003.

They are not part of the same 'workspace' they are 2 completely separate 'solutions', ie I do not see all the files in the 'solution explorer' of a single instance of the IDE. I see half the files in 1 project and half in the other, however want to be able to 'Open File in Workspace' of any of the files in either project.

The reason for this is that the files in 1 of the projects don't change very often so we have it compiled into a lib as a separate project. However a lot of the includes come from that project and I want to be able to open the files quickly as a reference.

Thankyou.
feline Posted - Feb 20 2007 : 12:56:54 PM
Which IDE are you using?
Are both solutions part of the same workspace? I.e. do you see all of these files in the "Solution Explorer" tab in the IDE?

© 2023 Whole Tomato Software, LLC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000