Visual Assist
 Technical Support
 1548 c++ autocompletion problem

You must be registered to post a reply.
Click here to register.

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format: BoldItalicizeUnderlineStrikethrough Align leftCenterAlign right Insert horizontal ruleUpload and insert imageInsert hyperlinkInsert email addressInsert codeInsert quoted textInsert listInsert Emoji

Forum code is on.
Html is off.

Check to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
yaro Posted - Feb 26 2007 : 11:05:59 AM
I have a c++ project that compiles fine, but when I have the following code I don't get any suggestions after I press .

void SomeClass::Foo()
{
wxString msg;

msg. <---- no suggestion is shown
}

After I press ctrl+space it shows up, but it's annoying and I have switched back to 1544 which works fine.
9   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
feline Posted - Mar 27 2007 : 11:34:40 AM
Are you able to reproduce this problem in a small test project you could send me? I am struck by your statement:

I tried turning off visual assist X 1544 and intellisense does show the suggestion box after ".".

When I disable VA via its menu option, using VS2005 SP1, and my test code from further up this thread nothing is suggested and the IDE shows the message:

IntelliSense: 'Type of expression to the left of . or -> is not a class, struct or union'

on the status bar, so I suspect your project is configured differently to mine. wxWidgets are not part of your stable include directories, but have they been added to your projects additional C++ include directories?
yaro Posted - Mar 27 2007 : 08:52:45 AM
Yes, VA 1544 doesn't have this problem.

It's strange that 1548 worked fine on your system and doesn't on mine. But 1548 or 1549 work if I manually press ctrl+space, so VA can do the completion, just typing "." doesn't trigger it. Maybe you should check the differences in the VA code between typing "." and pressing ctrl+space. Or is it possible that I get standard intellisense dialog when I press ctrl+space even with VA enabled?

I actually always uninstalled the old version before installing new, so that the new version doesn't get confused by old config file.

I tried turning off visual assist X 1544 and intellisense does show the suggestion box after ".".
feline Posted - Mar 27 2007 : 07:59:18 AM
I did try with VS2005 SP1 installed.

You mention going back to VA 1544, does this mean VA 1544 does not have this problem?

You should not need to do any configuration when moving to a new build of VA, since all of your existing settings should be preserved. If they are not then this is a problem we need to look into. The only delay is VA needing to rebuild its symbol database when you change versions, but this should not take to long.

I was disabling VA via the menu option:

VAssistX -> Enable/Disable Visual Assist X
yaro Posted - Mar 26 2007 : 7:42:37 PM
Sorry for late reply but I have to work and cannot switch between different versions every day, and configure it once it is installed.

How can I disable VA? Do you mean uninstall it?
Standard intellisense has problems with wxWidgets, especially when using those hashmap and array macros for creating new types.

I have checked 1549 and the problem is still present, I'm using 1544 for now.

I have suggestions to max in 1549 and it doesn't work.

Did you try VA with Visual studio 2005 with service pack 1 installed?
feline Posted - Mar 02 2007 : 09:18:45 AM
What happens if you disable VA and you try this?
For me, with VA disabled I cannot get a completion list at all. When I press CTRL-SPACE nothing happens at all.

With VA enabled, in VA options -> Quick Config can you try setting Suggestions to Max?
yaro Posted - Mar 01 2007 : 6:00:53 PM
I tried the same code with different path in #include in small hello world project, with the same result. No listbox shows up after .

If I press CTRL-SPACE then it shows the listbox.
Default intellisense is disabled (Get content from default Intellisense is off).
feline Posted - Mar 01 2007 : 2:07:58 PM
I have downloaded and installed wxWidgets 2.8.0, accepting the default options. Using both VS2003 and VS2005 with VA 1548 I have added the following code to a cpp file:

#include "C:\\wxWidgets-2.8.0\\include\\wx\\string.h"

static void stringTest()
{
	wxString foo;
	foo|;
}

In both IDE's, after typing a dot I am seeing a completion listbox showing me a list of functions. Can you try this code on your system? Does this make any difference?

What happens if you press CTRL-SPACE after the dot?
Have you disabled the IDE's default intellisense? This should not matter here, but it might.
What do you have:

VA Options -> Text Editor -> listboxes -> Get content from default Intellisense

set to?
yaro Posted - Feb 28 2007 : 12:15:04 PM
I'm using Visual studio 2005.

wxString is a class from wxWidgets. Autocompletion works fine in 1544, but not in 1548.
If I hover mouse over wxString VAView shows me the methods and variables defined in it, but . doesn't trigger hints.

VA_X.dll file version 10.3.1548.0 built 2007.02.23
Licensed to:
VA.NET 7.1: ***********
VAOpsWin.dll version 1.3.4.6
VATE.dll version 1.0.6.0
DevEnv.exe version 8.0.50727.762
msenv.dll version 8.0.50727.762
Font: Courier New 12(Pixels)
Comctl32.dll version 6.0.2900.2982
Windows XP 5.1 Build 2600 Service Pack 2
2 processors

Platform: Win32
Stable Includes:
C:\\Program Files\\Microsoft Visual Studio 8\\VC\\include;
C:\\Program Files\\Microsoft Visual Studio 8\\VC\\atlmfc\\include;
C:\\Program Files\\Microsoft Visual Studio 8\\VC\\PlatformSDK\\include;
C:\\Program Files\\Microsoft Visual Studio 8\\SDK\\v2.0\\include;

Library Includes:
C:\\Program Files\\Microsoft Visual Studio 8\\VC\\atlmfc\\src\\mfc;
C:\\Program Files\\Microsoft Visual Studio 8\\VC\\atlmfc\\src\\mfcm;
C:\\Program Files\\Microsoft Visual Studio 8\\VC\\atlmfc\\src\\atl;
C:\\Program Files\\Microsoft Visual Studio 8\\VC\\crt\\src;

Other Includes:

feline Posted - Feb 26 2007 : 1:04:08 PM
Which IDE are you using?
If you hover the mouse over wxString does VA show you any details of this class in VAView?

Is "wxString" something to do with wxWidgets? http://www.wxwidgets.org/

Can you please go to:

VA Options -> About -> Copy Info

and paste the details (from the clipboard) into this thread. This will give us the basic information about your setup.

© 2023 Whole Tomato Software, LLC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000