Visual Assist
 Technical Support
 Surround Text with {}

You must be registered to post a reply.
Click here to register.

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format: BoldItalicizeUnderlineStrikethrough Align leftCenterAlign right Insert horizontal ruleUpload and insert imageInsert hyperlinkInsert email addressInsert codeInsert quoted textInsert listInsert Emoji

Forum code is on.
Html is off.

Check to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
BrianCBecker Posted - Feb 27 2007 : 9:57:17 PM
Hi,

I have been frustrated by the behavior of "Surround selection on {". Often, I will have a chunk of code I want to surround in an if statement or expand a single line if statement to multiple lines. When I select the line and type "{", VAX almost always places the second bracket with the wrong indention. It seems to depend partly on the direction I highlighted the text and partly on some random condition. Here is an example to demonstrate:

(My commends in red)

For larger chunks of selected text, the second bracket is not indented at all (just appears on the first column of the line). This unreliable behavior renders the surround feature next to useless because you must manually fix it afterwards.

VAX/OS Info:

VA_X.dll file version 10.3.1548.0 built 2007.02.23
Licensed to:
VA X: [email omitted] (1-user license) Support ends 2007.10.08
VAOpsWin.dll version 1.3.4.6
VATE.dll version 1.0.6.0
DevEnv.exe version 8.0.50727.762
msenv.dll version 8.0.50727.762
Font: Courier New 13(Pixels)
Comctl32.dll version 6.0.2900.2982
Windows XP 5.1 Build 2600 Service Pack 2
Single processor

After finding the bug report guidelines, I forgot to mention that I am using Visual Studio 2005 C++ Service Pack 1 and I have Comment Reflower (http://commentreflower.sourceforge.net) and Project Line Counter (http://www.wndtabs.com/products/project_line_counter/line_counter_overview.html) installed.

Thanks for your time.

Sincerely,
Brian C. Becker @ www.BrianCBecker.com
2   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
support Posted - Apr 10 2008 : 01:28:12 AM
case=1521 is fixed in build 1632
feline Posted - Feb 28 2007 : 09:16:27 AM
Unfortunately this is a known problem. It is in our list of things to fix, but I do not know when this will be fixed.

case=1521

For now I recommend selecting left to right, or preferably whole lines top to bottom. Sometimes having the caret at the start of a selected block, rather than the end, can confuse VA. The fact we are sneaking around behind the IDE does not help.

© 2023 Whole Tomato Software, LLC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000