Visual Assist
 Technical Support
 1548 install on Vista

You must be registered to post a reply.
Click here to register.

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format: BoldItalicizeUnderlineStrikethrough Align leftCenterAlign right Insert horizontal ruleUpload and insert imageInsert hyperlinkInsert email addressInsert codeInsert quoted textInsert listInsert Emoji

Forum code is on.
Html is off.

Check to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
dcaton Posted - Feb 28 2007 : 12:51:53 PM
After installing 1548 on Vista, the "This program might not have installed correctly" dialog comes up. I have a screen capture if you want it. Far as I can tell, everything installed and is working ok.

Same thing happened with 1547.
14   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
support Posted - Oct 29 2007 : 02:34:00 AM
The installer problem (case=5322)is fixed in Build 1614

case=5325 is fixed in Build 1614
feline Posted - Mar 02 2007 : 2:39:39 PM
I have asked the developers about this, to see if anyone has any ideas why this is happening.

You are right about signing the installer, this probably is a good idea

case=5325
dcaton Posted - Mar 02 2007 : 12:19:11 PM
quote:
Originally posted by feline
Are you running a 64bit edition of Vista?

No. Vista Ultimate 32-bit. Clean install, not an upgrade.

It probably wouldn't hurt to sign the installer with your publisher and company name, although I doubt that is the problem.
feline Posted - Mar 02 2007 : 12:09:23 PM
I have the screen shot, thank you for this.

I recognise this dialog, but off hand I cannot make it appear on demand on Vista Business edition, 32bit. I have tried cancelling the install at various points, and I even tried killing it off once it reached the final screen, but no complaints from Vista. Odd since I have seen this dialog myself, but I am not sure how I reproduced it.

Are you running a 64bit edition of Vista?

I am glad it is not causing you any problems, but you are right, I want to avoid lots of people getting the same message
dcaton Posted - Mar 02 2007 : 11:31:10 AM
quote:

Please submit the files via the form:

http://www.wholetomato.com/support/contact.asp

including this thread ID or URL in the description, so we can match it up.

This is very strange. I may have seen the same dialog from Vista myself, but only when I manually cancelled the install part way through. If you never saw this final step in VA's installation then the message from Vista would make sense, but if the installer finished properly then what is Vista complaining about? Most odd.

I am wondering if other users are going to get the same message, and then suspect that VA is not installed / working correctly. Which is why I would like to get to the bottom of this problem for you

Done. It really doesn't matter to me, VA seemed to install fine and it works fine so far. Could be a potential support hassle for you guys though. Vista in some ways has been dumbed down, and in this particular case, I couldn't find any way to discover what it was complaining about, nor discover what the "recommended" settings were. And clicking on ght "What settings are applied" link just takes you to a help page with vague, non-specific information that's essentially useless to diagnose this problem.
feline Posted - Mar 02 2007 : 11:20:06 AM
Please submit the files via the form:

http://www.wholetomato.com/support/contact.asp

including this thread ID or URL in the description, so we can match it up.

This is very strange. I may have seen the same dialog from Vista myself, but only when I manually cancelled the install part way through. If you never saw this final step in VA's installation then the message from Vista would make sense, but if the installer finished properly then what is Vista complaining about? Most odd.

I am wondering if other users are going to get the same message, and then suspect that VA is not installed / working correctly. Which is why I would like to get to the bottom of this problem for you
dcaton Posted - Mar 02 2007 : 10:04:06 AM
quote:

I have just run the 1548 installer here, on Vista, capturing screen shots as it runs. Assuming you only have one IDE installed, VS2005, then you should get this question, then you should see the "progress bar" dialog briefly, followed by this screen:

Do you get this final step from the installer?

Yes. Everyting works fine. The dialog I'm talking about comes from Vista, not the installer. There doesn't appear to be any way to embed or upload an image here. I have a screen capture if you want it, just tell me where to send it.
feline Posted - Mar 01 2007 : 6:02:04 PM
I have just run the 1548 installer here, on Vista, capturing screen shots as it runs. Assuming you only have one IDE installed, VS2005, then you should get this question, then you should see the "progress bar" dialog briefly, followed by this screen:

Do you get this final step from the installer?
dcaton Posted - Mar 01 2007 : 2:18:50 PM
quote:

*ah*, no, there is confusion

I think I understand now. I have seen that dialog appear, but only if I cancel the install of VA part way through.

The fact you have seen this twice, at least, with two different installers means we can probably rule out a corrupt download.

When you installed VA 1548 were you asked if you wanted to reset the IDE?

Yes and I always answer "no".
feline Posted - Mar 01 2007 : 2:11:18 PM
*ah*, no, there is confusion

I think I understand now. I have seen that dialog appear, but only if I cancel the install of VA part way through.

The fact you have seen this twice, at least, with two different installers means we can probably rule out a corrupt download.

When you installed VA 1548 were you asked if you wanted to reset the IDE?
dcaton Posted - Mar 01 2007 : 2:02:42 PM
I don't think you understand. The message I'm referring to occurred at installation time. The IDE is not running at that point.
feline Posted - Mar 01 2007 : 1:36:21 PM
Does running the IDE as Administrator make any difference?

I have installed VA quite a few times under Vista and never seen this error message, so I am a little bothered by it.

Everything else is working correctly is certainly good news.
dcaton Posted - Feb 28 2007 : 11:59:25 PM
quote:

Did you run the installer as Administrator?

Sure. I doubt anything would have installed if I didn't, since I install in the default \\program files folder. and nothing goes there without admin privledges.
quote:
Can you try downloading the installer:

http://www.wholetomato.com/downloads/VA_X_Setup1548.exe

and running it from your local machine?

That is what I always do. Everything appears to work properly so it would seem that Vista believes something went wrong when in fact, the install completed without any errors.
feline Posted - Feb 28 2007 : 1:42:29 PM
Did you run the installer as Administrator?
Can you try downloading the installer:

http://www.wholetomato.com/downloads/VA_X_Setup1548.exe

and running it from your local machine? We have had one user report problems when he installed VA directly from IE under Vista, but I was unable to reproduce this problem.

© 2023 Whole Tomato Software, LLC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000