Visual Assist
 Technical Support
 Surround selection problem

You must be registered to post a reply.
Click here to register.

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format: BoldItalicizeUnderlineStrikethrough Align leftCenterAlign right Insert horizontal ruleUpload and insert imageInsert hyperlinkInsert email addressInsert codeInsert quoted textInsert listInsert Emoji

Forum code is on.
Html is off.

Check to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
daveparr Posted - Apr 04 2007 : 04:45:07 AM
I'm having a problem with surround selection. It *might* be related to case 4152, although my symptoms are different enough I'm starting a new topic.

With several files open, I select some lines of (uncommented) code, using the mouse in the selection area (where the line numbers are displayed). Then I hit "/" to comment those lines.

In the file I'm editing, nothing seems to happen. But, in one of the other open files, some code gets replaced by a copy of the code I was trying to put into comments (with comments applied).

It's possible that the file affected (the one I wasn't editing) had a code block selected at the position that this happened. I can't be sure, as it happens often enough to be annoying, but not enough that I have a good handle on what triggers it.

It's been happening for at least the last few releases. I'm using VS2005 (8.0.50727.762 SP.050727.7600) and VA (10.3.1549)

Thanks,

Dave
14   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
support Posted - Oct 29 2007 : 02:30:28 AM
case=5835 is fixed in Build 1614
feline Posted - Jul 31 2007 : 11:00:08 AM
The best answer I have to that is in this thread:

http://forum.wholetomato.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=5966

See the reply on Feb 28 2007 by Sean, and the IDE macro it contains.
daveparr Posted - Jul 31 2007 : 09:24:41 AM
Thanks for the quick reply, even if it isn't good news.

FWIW, I don't have that option selected. And I'm intrigued why it would fix case=4903 - the problem and solution seem unrelated!
feline Posted - Jul 31 2007 : 09:07:21 AM
I have asked someone to have a look at this. Unfortunately there is a note on the bug that says this is related to case=4903

case=4903 only happens when you have the "Show Miscellaneous files in Solution Explorer" setting in Tools|Options|Environment|Documents turned on. This particular problem is actually an IDE bug, where the IDE tells VA that the wrong window is active. We are still trying to find a reliable solution for this.

Depending on how related these two problems are this could be hard to fix, since it may not be fully under our control.
daveparr Posted - Jul 31 2007 : 06:05:54 AM
Any chance of an update on when this might be fixed?

I'm not sure if it's 1559 related, but recently (last couple of weeks) I'm seeing this more and more!

Thanks
feline Posted - Apr 07 2007 : 1:05:07 PM
This is down as a high priority bug, hopefully it will be fixed soon.
dango Posted - Apr 06 2007 : 6:52:14 PM
Please fix asap!!!

This caused a bad bug in a release candidate here.

(Caught in testing but next time it might not be)
daveparr Posted - Apr 04 2007 : 2:12:39 PM
Glad it's not just me! Guess I'll either start typing slower or start using Ctrl-Tab while you fix it.

Thanks
sean Posted - Apr 04 2007 : 1:46:57 PM
Following your steps I see this too. There are two important steps: must use the mouse to switch between the windows and must I think hit '/' before the VA context and definition window draws.

It looks like if you use ctrl+tab, then the switch is picked up more quickly by VA. And using the mouse to switch between editors introduces a lag in which VA doesn't seem to notice the change.

case=5835
daveparr Posted - Apr 04 2007 : 11:08:22 AM
FWIW, I created a completely new project using a VS wizard (Win32 project).

Without making any changes I just swapped between the two cpp files (test.cpp and stdafx.cpp), sometimes selecting blocks of code, sometimes just leaving the cursor at the start of a line.

It showed the problem within 5 tries, then again about 6 tries later. I can't seem to identify any consistency though; no sequence works all the time.
daveparr Posted - Apr 04 2007 : 11:01:50 AM
I repeated my steps. It failed the first time, then was ok for maybe 10-20 times, then failed again. In normal use, it's probably less than every 30 '/' operations, but running through those steps repeatedly it is more often.

My VA & IDE settings have been uploaded via your support form.
feline Posted - Apr 04 2007 : 10:46:57 AM
How often are you seeing this problem, using these steps? I have just tried this, using VS2005 and VA 1549 with C++ about 30 times. I have 2 .cpp files open in the IDE, and only these two tabs showing.

I have tried selecting dragging down, and dragging up, in the line number column.

I have not seen any problems at all. Would you see it fail at least once in this many attempts? If so can you please export your VA and IDE settings:

VA Options -> Performance -> General -> Export Settings
IDE tools menu -> Import and Export Settings -> Export selected environment settings

zip up the files, and submit them via the form:

http://www.wholetomato.com/support/contact.asp

including this thread ID or URL in the description, so we can match it up. This way I can import the settings here, so I will be testing with the same settings.
daveparr Posted - Apr 04 2007 : 09:19:48 AM
"Show Misc..." is off, so that isn't the problem :-(

I've done some more playing, and can trigger the problem somewhat more reliably, though still not 100%. What I do is:

1. Have two .cpp files open in the editor.
2. On one file, highlight a line using the mouse in the line numbers area.
3. Select the other file (I use the mouse on the editor tabs)
4. Highlight one or more lines in the second file, again using the mouse over the line numbers area.
5. Hit '/'. If you see nothing change in this window, look at the other file.

I also alternated step 2 with just setting a cursor position, rather then having a block selection.
feline Posted - Apr 04 2007 : 09:08:13 AM
Clearly this is rather bad. I have tried a couple of initial tests, and so far I cannot reproduce this problem. However if it is only happening occasionally I may not have tried enough times.

I see why you are thinking of case 4152.

Do you have Until "Show Miscellaneous files in Solution Explorer" setting in Tools|Options|Environment|Documents turned on? If so can you turn this off and see if it makes any difference please?

There is a known problem where characters can be sent to the wrong file when this setting is turned on, so I am wondering if you are seeing this problem.

© 2023 Whole Tomato Software, LLC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000