Visual Assist
 Technical Support
 Long delay for tooltip to show?

You must be registered to post a reply.
Click here to register.

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format: BoldItalicizeUnderlineStrikethrough Align leftCenterAlign right Insert horizontal ruleUpload and insert imageInsert hyperlinkInsert email addressInsert codeInsert quoted textInsert listInsert Emoji

Forum code is on.
Html is off.

Check to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
GreenMoose Posted - May 04 2007 : 11:08:55 AM
Running VAssist 10.3.1555.0 VStudio 2005 on Vista/64.

Is this a known problem? I searched but couldn't find any info.

If I have a function Foo(int a, int b); and place cursor next to "Foo(", and then type "int c," the IDE will hang when I hit the "," for about 5 secs and then the tooltip is shown with the function parameters.
This seem to happen only the "first time". After the tooltip has shown I can't reproduce it for the same function again. The cpu isn't choking so I don't know that is happening...

Thanks.
(I have tried rebuilding the symbol database with no luck and the actual functions are in a larger project and not named "foo")
30   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
feline Posted - Jun 19 2007 : 12:03:03 PM
Once VA's symbol database has become corrupt various problems will start to show up, all of which are due to the corruption.

Just to make sure I understand correctly, when you say 158 are you counting this:

C:\\library\\foo.h
C:\\src\\application\\foo.h

C:\\library\\bar.h
C:\\src\\application\\bar.h
C:\\src\\test_harness\\bar.h

as 2 or 5 files?

Are all, or most, of these duplicates being listed in OFIW?

If VA is aware of all of these duplicates it may simply be more duplicate / shared files than we are used to seeing, so stressing something. This is very vague, but at least it is an idea we can look into.
GreenMoose Posted - Jun 19 2007 : 11:33:40 AM
No worries. I guess this isn't an easy one to reproduce since not even I can do it after have rebuilt the symbol database, and when I get the crash I can't isolate it other than when opening a specific file in a specific project....

Anyhow in 1 project for example ("Proj1" above) we have 158 shared files, a mix of single headers and cpp/h pairs. (The shared files are scattered around in projects though).
feline Posted - Jun 19 2007 : 11:27:08 AM
Apologies for the delay in getting back to you about this. I have been looking at the email and setting up some tests, but I am not making much progress.

VSS shared files seem relatively common, people mention them here quite often, but problems like this do not seem to be common at all. Also including the same file in various files, in various manors seems quite common.

Do you know approximately how many individual VSS shared files there are in the solution? And how many files this becomes?

I am wondering if having 200 VSS shared files is causing the problem, while most people only have 1 or 2 VSS shared files.
GreenMoose Posted - Jun 16 2007 : 2:25:05 PM
quote:
Originally posted by feline

Can you post the full paths to these files? I will try setting up a test case here and see if I can reproduce the problem.

How large and complex is "File3.h"? I am wondering if it is possible VA is confused by this file on its own. Are you able to open this file directly, perhaps via OFIW, without any problems? If so do you have any problems if you manually reparse this file?

1) Sent you a mail

2) The file3.h is not complex at all, just a struct and a global function.
When I had the similar crash before I tried to open the file causing the crash in other projects and by its own, but that went fine.
(The previous file caused the crash was a similar case to this, it was both shared between projects as well as existing in a "common" directory so files included it from both with "" and <> depending on if the current project had the file shared or not...)

When I did a rebuild symbol database and restart the IDE the problem goes away just as it did the previous time.
feline Posted - Jun 16 2007 : 2:06:29 PM
Can you post the full paths to these files? I will try setting up a test case here and see if I can reproduce the problem.

How large and complex is "File3.h"? I am wondering if it is possible VA is confused by this file on its own. Are you able to open this file directly, perhaps via OFIW, without any problems? If so do you have any problems if you manually reparse this file?
GreenMoose Posted - Jun 16 2007 : 07:40:09 AM
Update2: Crashes are still there as well unfortunately. I'm currently experience another crash while VA parses fileA which is included from FileB which is included in a relative "..\\..\\proj\\blah.h" from a file in the project (not the same file as the previous crashes).
Same behavior, chokes memory up to 1.5GB and then IDE stops working...

** Edit **
Actually the structure of filefiles/projects was like below. I open project Proj3 and opens File1.cpp and then VA goes nuts (tried to reboot not using the "user account control" thingy, no difference)
VA Hangs with the message "Parsing c:\\<...>Dir\\Proj1\\File3.h"

\\Dir\\Proj1\\\Dir\\Proj2\\Proj3

///// Content of Proj3\\File1.cpp //// (opening this file makes it choke)
#include ..\\..\\Proj1\\File1.h
#include ..\\File2.h //I.e. from Proj2

//// Content of Proj1\\File1.h ////
#include "File3.h"

//// Content Proj2\\File2.h ////
#include "File3.h"

File3.h is shared to both Proj2 and Proj1...
feline Posted - Jun 04 2007 : 1:22:43 PM
The reason for the tooltip screen shot was to see if it is an IDE or VAX tooltip. I am not sure if this knowledge would help, but it is somewhere to start.

Have you tried turning off:

VA Options -> Advanced -> Fonts and Colors -> Apply Colouring to -> Tooltips

to see if this makes any difference? Are you running as an administrator user on Vista? A wild theory, if you are running as a limited user and someone is trying to parse some file that you do not have full access rights to, to produce the tooltip, the IDE might hang while waiting for the file access to time out.

I am not a great fan of this theory, but it is an idea.

This blank line, I don't recognise that problem at all. Have you looked for updated graphics drivers?
GreenMoose Posted - Jun 04 2007 : 11:01:36 AM
> Can you get some screen shots of the problem tooltips? It is possible some of them are from the IDE.

Hrm the problem is that the entire ide locks a few sec occasionaly before showing any tooltip, so there's nothing to see really. When the tooltip finally appears it is as expected. (This maybe have something to do with Vista? I've noticed that everything refreshes like a billion times just before the tooltips is shown when this happens, and the tooltip might close directly after that).

> The line disappearing... is this actually a line of text in the editor? Nothing at all to do with tooltips?

Yepp a complete separate thing. Some times (very rare, the past weeks it has happened like max 4 times or so) when I edit code I notice that a line just vanishes. I can't select the entire line to see if it is characters there (it appears to be empty) and I can't delete or write anything in that line. After a while it just pops up again (although I can continue to write/browse etc. in the IDE while this ghost-line is gone).
feline Posted - Jun 04 2007 : 10:53:10 AM
Can you get some screen shots of the problem tooltips? It is possible some of them are from the IDE.

The line disappearing... is this actually a line of text in the editor? Nothing at all to do with tooltips?

There is a very rare effect I have seen myself where the current line is replaced by a series of empty squares, the character you get when the font you are using does not hold the current character. I have seen this perhaps 10 times in a year. Alt-tab away and back again normally fixes this, it seems to be a display only problem. I have also seen it happen without VA installed. If you are seeing something similar then it may just be the IDE messing about.
GreenMoose Posted - Jun 04 2007 : 09:29:09 AM
Just an update: Haven't experienced any crashes but the tooltip delay is still there unfortunately.
(I've also noticed that on very rare occasions a line is just disappearing from the code when I write, if I wait something like 10-15 seconds it pops back, but that was in previous version as well...)
support Posted - May 31 2007 : 01:06:35 AM
case=6078 is fixed in 1557
feline Posted - May 29 2007 : 11:44:15 AM
This suggests that VA's symbol database has become corrupt in some sense. We saw the same behaviour with the alt-g problem, the user had to rebuild the symbol database to fix it. It does sound like the next build will fix this for you.
GreenMoose Posted - May 29 2007 : 08:20:37 AM
Just a side node; Once the crash occurs, it's enough to just open that project when the particular file is amongst the "open files" tab to make the IDE gobbling RAM and die. But rebuilding the VA symbol database seems to make this crashing go away which is good :).
feline Posted - May 29 2007 : 07:55:53 AM
The test case for this problem involves opening two copies, in different directories, of the same solution. This is not the only way to trigger the problem, but it was a reproducible trigger.

If you have common library files that get opened in two different IDE's then you might be seeing the same problem. I am not sure if this would ever produce a crash, but I am hoping that the fix will help you.
GreenMoose Posted - May 29 2007 : 07:52:52 AM
Ok thanks. (Yepp I run most often with somehwat like 3 IDEs opened at a time).
feline Posted - May 29 2007 : 07:45:41 AM
Do you ever run two IDE's at the same time?

There is a known problem, fixed in the next build (which is due in the next few days) where running two IDE's at the same time can lead to problems with alt-g. I am wondering if this might somehow be connected.
GreenMoose Posted - May 29 2007 : 03:26:14 AM
Just a little update: Now the IDE crashes on a totaly different file :(. It goes bezerk on RAM and then crashes when in middle of a debug session. The behavior is still as before; I'm debugging a project which uses a lib and when I step into the lib source the VAx starts to parse some headers shared betwen both project, but the path it parses it is in the library (i.e. not the project I'm debugging, but stepping into via debugging it) and then it crashes.
feline Posted - May 14 2007 : 7:43:04 PM
So far no luck reproducing this. I have tried on a single file, and on a duplicate file. If you are not bothered by this particular effect then I am tempted to ignore it for now.
GreenMoose Posted - May 14 2007 : 09:13:17 AM
>The odd tooltip, a simple test project would be nice but obviously this takes time and has to wait.
>For the moment are you doing anything special to produce this effect?
>You said you were adding a parameter, so did you simply delete the ");" from the end of the line,
>and type a comma to add the parameter?

I had 1 parameter per row and deleted the ending ); and typed "," after the last parameter. (Then the tooltip suggested that the functions declared below were parameters to the function).
Although I have "Include bits of code from surrounding lines" enabled so IMHO it is no worries if this behaves like that. The tooltip works fine after I've closed the function so I'm happy... :]. But I see if I can isolate it sometime in the near future (probably can't if you guys can't :P).
Thanks.
feline Posted - May 14 2007 : 09:06:06 AM
The hang, I am currently hoping that it will be fixed by case=6078, since I am not sure where else to start looking.

The odd tooltip, a simple test project would be nice but obviously this takes time and has to wait. For the moment are you doing anything special to produce this effect? You said you were adding a parameter, so did you simply delete the ");" from the end of the line, and type a comma to add the parameter?

Or are you doing something else, something more complex?

I suspect the fact you have shared files, so "duplicates" is a factor here.
GreenMoose Posted - May 14 2007 : 08:41:21 AM
> Has disabling the IDE's intellisense had any effect on the IDE hanging / stopping for several seconds? I suspect you need to re-enable it, so these features start working again, but it would be good to know if it is a factor or not.

Well I never got it to hang with it disabled, but I haven't got it to hang yet with it enabled either :]. Maybe it's related to how often I switch IDEs or such, now I'm working with 3 opened without any problems. (Or maybe it was related to the crash or so.. dunno)

> Are you able to reproduce this strange tooltip in a simple test?

If in simple you mean an isolated test-project I have to get back to you about this when I have more time on my hands.
feline Posted - May 14 2007 : 08:37:01 AM
The crash, I am reminded of an alt-g bug:

case=6078

This problem shows up when running two IDE's at the same time with very similar solution open in both, having the "same" file open in both IDE's seems to be a factor. It is possible you are running into a related, more serious, version of this. This is just a theory, but we are hoping to have this bug fixed in the next build.

Disabling the IDE's intellisense, unfortunately this does tend to break certain things inside the IDE. Different people report different effects, and many people never notice any side effects.

Has disabling the IDE's intellisense had any effect on the IDE hanging / stopping for several seconds? I suspect you need to re-enable it, so these features start working again, but it would be good to know if it is a factor or not.

Are you able to reproduce this strange tooltip in a simple test? I don't think I have ever seen anything quite like that, so I am wondering what you are doing to trigger this.
GreenMoose Posted - May 14 2007 : 03:52:35 AM
Regarding renaming feacp.dll to disable default intellisense. This also makes my dialog class wizard stop working. I cannot make classes from new dialogs etc. but I get errors like "object required" or the wizard not remembering that I had created a class for it.
GreenMoose Posted - May 12 2007 : 1:51:20 PM
> VA Options -> Performance -> Keep symbols in memory for fast response after Alt+Tab

Have unchecked it for now.

>I have the screen shots, thank you for those. The several line tooltip does seem to be from VA. Is this function one of yours? If so then do you have:
>VA Options -> Advanced -> C/C++ -> display comments from source files when available
>turned on? I suspect you do.

Yes and yes.

>The more I look at this the more confused I am getting. It looks as if you are adding a new member function to a class, so no one is going to know the
>parameter list, since this is a new function. Is this correct?

Well the function already existed, I just wanted to add a parameter so I guess that's why the tooltip existed. This behavior with 2 different tool-tips disappeared after I tried to investigate the crashes though. (see below)

>Turning back to your last post, it looks as if this specific file, or something the file includes, is causing a lot of problems.
>Do you have the time to see if opening this file on its own (so no solution loaded) is enough to cause VA problems?

I tried opening the file in ProjC below but this did not trigger any crash. I had the following setup when it crashed every time:
ProjA\\ProjB\\ProjC\\File1.h
Proj1\\Proj2\\Proj3\\File1.h (same content as above, shared file via VSS).

Proj3 was an exe-app that used some other shared header-files from ProjC which is an dll.
When I opened ProjC project and opened ProjC\\File1.h, nothing happened. But when I browsed (or stepped into) so I got Proj3\\File1.h opened in ProjC the parser went nuts and IDE crashed.
This happened even if I completely cleraed Proj3\\File1.h to just contain an include-guard and class MyClass {};.
I tried to reproduce it with clean projects with no luck so I opened Proj3 project and opened Proj3\\File1.h which went fine. opened ProjC\\File1.h also which went fine.
I closed it and then opened ProjC again, now it doesn't crash any longer.
Although I did log the crash behavior and it is 19Meg, although these lines appear almost in the entire log:

(I've changed nsMYNAMESPACE and pth/filenames below, File2.h is also a shared file between both projects. The entry below continues on and on and on:
===================
FFNSS: " :std :nsMYNAMESPACE :nsMYNAMESPACE :utility :Work :System:Reflection :__identifier("<CrtImplementationDetails>") :indirect_traits :boost:detail:is_function_ref_tester_ :ATL :WTL :_com_util :rel_ops "
FFTID: "0x5c0"
FormatFile c:\\<...>\\Proj1\\Proj2\\Proj3\\File1.h1
Parsing c:\\<...>\\Proj1\\Proj2\\Proj3\\File1.h
Loading c:\\<...>\\Proj1\\Proj2\\Proj3\\File1.h
QueFile c:\\<...>\\Proj1\\Proj2\\Proj3\\File2.h
QueueParseWorkItem
===================

>I have been looking at the screen shot again. The parameters being listed, are the last parameters really the following member functions????
>It looks like they are, and that is definitely a new one on me.

Yepp but I haven't closed the function I'm altering with ");" so maybe that's why it thinks the rest of the header file actually is parameters to the function I'm editing or so? (this I can reproduce).
feline Posted - May 11 2007 : 11:46:16 AM
I have been looking at the screen shot again. The parameters being listed, are the last parameters really the following member functions???? It looks like they are, and that is definitely a new one on me.
feline Posted - May 11 2007 : 11:44:25 AM
The setting:

VA Options -> Performance -> Keep symbols in memory for fast response after Alt+Tab

may have some effect on the RAM usage, but I suspect it is more likely something else is causing this problem.

Normally when testing "VA uses 100% of the CPU" I just use the enable / disable menu option and this is enough to fix the problem, so I would expect that disabling VA to be enough, but clearly it is not enough here. To be honest that surprises me.

I have the screen shots, thank you for those. The several line tooltip does seem to be from VA. Is this function one of yours? If so then do you have:

VA Options -> Advanced -> C/C++ -> display comments from source files when available

turned on? I suspect you do.

The more I look at this the more confused I am getting. It looks as if you are adding a new member function to a class, so no one is going to know the parameter list, since this is a new function. Is this correct?

If so then where does the tooltip come from? Is this an overloaded function? If so the tooltip, and the comment, might be coming from an existing overload, or the base class if this is a virtual function.

Turning back to your last post, it looks as if this specific file, or something the file includes, is causing a lot of problems.

Do you have the time to see if opening this file on its own (so no solution loaded) is enough to cause VA problems? If this is enough, would you be able to strip the file down to the point where you could send me a copy for testing purposes? Bulk deleting chunks of the file should be a quick way of doing this, or curing the problem if you delete the problem code.
GreenMoose Posted - May 11 2007 : 08:33:00 AM
Thanks I'll give it a go. Although now something even more weird has started to happen;

* I've renamed the dll-file for disabling intellisense (although the .ncb-files were created anyway but IDE doesn't show tooltip when VA is disabled so I guess it's off)
* I start debugging a project (that one which kept freezing before), I have disabled VA via the menu.
* After a few seconds in when I get to a certain point in debugging, I see "VA X: Parsing file XXX.h" in the IDE status window meanwhile the IDE quickly eats 1.5GIG RAM and crashes (or stops working). I here have to kill the entire IDE process.
I'll try disabling VA via the registry and see if the behavior is still there (Should VA X parse files even though it's disabled?).

*Edit: It doesn't crash when VA isn't loaded. When I enabled it again, as soon as it starts parsing this specific file it goes wild and gopes the RAM and dies. Have to disable VA all together for today so I get something done... (I also just noticed when I didn't load VA my devenv eats about 65MB RAM, when I have it loaded it takes 300-500 or so.)
feline Posted - May 11 2007 : 08:19:35 AM
Try turning on:

VA Options -> Advanced -> General -> Enable automatic Quick Info ToolTips

this should mean that VA always tries to show tooltips. Normally in VS2005 VA waits for the IDE to show a tooltip, and if it decides that the IDE is not going to do so then it shows its tooltip.

Hopefully this will mean you still get tooltips, even with the IDE's intellisense disabled.

This just leaves us with everything else to try and sort out.
GreenMoose Posted - May 11 2007 : 06:23:59 AM
>The alt-g problem with two IDE's that I am thinking of is mentioned in these two threads:
>http://forum.wholetomato.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=6074
>http://forum.wholetomato.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=6235
I get choises of which file I want to go when using alt-g. But if I stand in the cpp for a function definition it automatically goes to the .h (which I guess is the designed behavior).

I haven't still got the IDE's intellisense disabled (I want it when VA fails to show a tooltip which is very often nowadays), but I'll disable it via registry/dll and give it a try to see if the IDE-freezing still occurs.

What is FSIW ?

*Edit whops I didn't mean disable via registry above, that was for VA :]
feline Posted - May 10 2007 : 12:37:29 PM
The alt-g problem with two IDE's that I am thinking of is mentioned in these two threads:

http://forum.wholetomato.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=6074
http://forum.wholetomato.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=6235

So far what you are describing does not really sound the same. This situation with three IDE's and one of them freezes completely... Do you still have the IDE's intellisense disabled? You mention having tried this.

I have seen VA cause the IDE to freeze when it is confronted with complex C++ template code, but this tends to be an immediate, file specific problem, and has nothing to do with running multiple IDE's. If you were seeing this effect it should be fairly obvious, since when using certain code the CPU would jump to 100%.

I have also seen the IDE's default intellisense cause the IDE to just "freeze", this is quite common in my experience, which is why so many people disable it.

Beyond these two effects I don't know why the system should be freezing.

If you open FSIW are the functions listed? Instead of using CTRL-SHIFT-SPACE on a function to reproduce the problem I am wondering what happens if you try alt-g or FSIW and jump to the function this way.

© 2023 Whole Tomato Software, LLC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000