Visual Assist
 Technical Support
 autocomplete overwriting identifier name

You must be registered to post a reply.
Click here to register.

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format: BoldItalicizeUnderlineStrikethrough Align leftCenterAlign right Insert horizontal ruleUpload and insert imageInsert hyperlinkInsert email addressInsert codeInsert quoted textInsert listInsert Emoji

Forum code is on.
Html is off.

Check to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
eve Posted - May 29 2007 : 02:47:40 AM
I noticed the following somewhat inconsistent VAX behaviour:

suppose you have this code:
short someIdentifier;

if I then select the word 'short' and start changing it in 'SomeType' like this:
SomeTsomeIdentifier;

Then if VAX recognizes 'SomeType' and I press tab to complete the word, then sometimes it overwrites everything else (thus removing 'someIdentifier') and the result is this:
SomeType;

This does not always happen, so I wonder if there is any logic in this?

thanks,
eli
13   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
support Posted - Oct 29 2007 : 01:39:25 AM
case=1182 is implemented in Build 1614
case=3542 is implemented in Build 1614
feline Posted - May 31 2007 : 07:16:54 AM
People "pushing" for their feature is something we pay attention to, and it is one factor in working out what gets done next.

As for voting, I have this mental image of a list of 200 feature requests in a list, and asking people to vote on that "mess"
eve Posted - May 31 2007 : 01:41:29 AM
I know, it's not an easy choice. I guess most of us realize that, but without people trying to push 'their' feature you would not know what feature we want the most. Maybe you could organize a feature voting.

As for the find window, you have a point there. But it is so easy to get addicted to 'find references' ;-)
feline Posted - May 30 2007 : 2:40:11 PM
For reference, multiple Find References Results windows is:

case=1182

The idea of copying the text from Find References Results has also come up:

case=3542

The great question, even with easy changes, is which ones to do first? Juggling bug fixes with new features tends to be tricky.

Are you able to use the IDE's Find or Find in Files for any of these? I know it is not the same, but for a fairly unique variable / symbol name it should be something, and this then gives you two or three lists, if you are using two IDE Find output windows + VA.
eve Posted - May 30 2007 : 07:43:06 AM
As a temporary solution it might be nice if we could copy the contents of the references window somehow, so it can be pasted to a text editor.
I imagine that is not very hard to do?
feline Posted - May 30 2007 : 06:27:03 AM
Some form of multiple Find References Results is being planned, but I am not quite sure how it will work.

accord the problem with a simple implementation of what you describe is what happens when I need to keep the first set of results, but then run another 28 finds, but have set VA to only keep 10 tabs? I know the answer is to "pin" or "lock" certain results, but this quickly turns into a much more complex interface to work with.
accord Posted - May 29 2007 : 4:51:12 PM
A history for find references would be much better (like in Understand for C++), because with history I can always go back.
With multiple find references I have to open manually a new windows, so I have to know that I will want to switch back to an earlier list in the future, so I have to forecast :)

If VAX will always open a new tab when I use find references AND I can set the maximum tabs, then it's okay
eve Posted - May 29 2007 : 12:09:37 PM
Ah, but now it gets interesting!

I cannot do that because I do not want to loose the previous information in the find references windows. Having more than 1 find references window has been requested already numerous times, and I'm eagerly waiting for the day it arrives! :-)
feline Posted - May 29 2007 : 11:55:03 AM
A rename followed by Find References is probably what you want. Significantly changing a variable type is not much fun, I know this myself.
eve Posted - May 29 2007 : 11:49:09 AM
I wish that was possible, but unfortunately there is a little more to be done with that identifier after it has been renamed :-(

but thanks for the suggestion anyway.
feline Posted - May 29 2007 : 11:41:36 AM
Depending on the scope of this, and the IDE, I would just use CTRL-W to select the type and overtype it, and then use VA's rename feature on the variable, thus making sure all instances were renamed.
eve Posted - May 29 2007 : 08:14:42 AM
Thanks, this helps a lot!

I'm doing a refactoring in which I change the type of an identifier together with making the first character of the identifier lowercase. To do this I erased the original type AND the first character of the identifier before I start typing the new name. But then of course VAX no longer recognizes the trailing characters of the identifier since its first character is missing.

feline Posted - May 29 2007 : 07:04:47 AM
There is a logic to this, and it was discussed a while ago in this thread:

http://forum.wholetomato.com/forum/topic.asp?ARCHIVE=true&TOPIC_ID=2759&SearchTerms=bear

The relevant bit is the post:

VA X does not replace trailing characters if they form a symbol valid in any context. VA X assumes you are typing in front of existing code. (VA X checks any context because this is quick -- checking current context slows the insert too much.)

See "Suggestions Within Symbols" near the bottom of:
http://www.wholetomato.com/products/features/suggestion.html?more=yes

and "Completing Text to Left of Caret" in:
http://www.wholetomato.com/products/features/members.html?more=yes

The "fun" bit with this is that the list of valid / known symbols changes as you edit, and VA parses the code, which helps to explain why you only see this some of the time.

Hopefully this makes sense. I have a feeling for what I expect to happen, but it is hard to put into words.

© 2023 Whole Tomato Software, LLC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000