Visual Assist
 Technical Support
 GoTo header files pathing?

You must be registered to post a reply.
Click here to register.

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format: BoldItalicizeUnderlineStrikethrough Align leftCenterAlign right Insert horizontal ruleUpload and insert imageInsert hyperlinkInsert email addressInsert codeInsert quoted textInsert listInsert Emoji

Forum code is on.
Html is off.

Check to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
davem Posted - May 29 2007 : 10:51:02 AM
I have a project that has multiple copies of some basic header files in various directories.

We are chasing down some type problems, so I am looking at symbols and figuring how where they were declared and typed.

I was suprised to see the toolbar referencing files in nearby directories, that were not mentioned in the project or solution configuration. These are a distraction, as I want the actual ones being used to compile.

Why? What is VAX (and VS) using to find files that it steps outside the project include paths?

Thanks,
Dave. VAX 1554
3   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
feline Posted - May 30 2007 : 06:32:28 AM
I have some idea of the problems you are having. I used to work on a solution holding over 80 projects *sigh* Thankfully that only had a 32bit configuration. The bad news was I ended up using UNIX makefiles on parts of the code to compile under UNIX, and keeping the two sets in step got messy.

From a vague memory of previous discussions about this sort of thing one of the older IDE's, maybe VS2003, worked quite well, since you could make changes to all modes of a project in one go, and the IDE would apply the changes quite well. I think this was discussing adding pre-processor definitions.

I don't recall ever coming across a magic answer to this problem. Maybe one day.
davem Posted - May 29 2007 : 5:00:05 PM
Thanks, after a few more attempts at Find-In-Files searchs on all .vcproj files in the solution, I finally found the culprit hidden in one (of 66) project's 32 bit debug configuration.
The active build was 64 bit release.

Verging off topic; It's really hard to find problems and fix a large number of project configuration files. They are hard to scan and make global changes.
feline Posted - May 29 2007 : 11:51:45 AM
VA should pick up and parse files:
* that are listed in the stable include directories - these are independent of the project
http://www.wholetomato.com/products/features/directories.asp

* that are part of the solution
* that are in the additional include directories
* that are included by one of your solution files
* that have been opened in the IDE

I am wondering if these files live in directories that the IDE is telling VA about. Alternatively have you opened these files in the IDE since loading it?

If you use the IDE's find in files for the name of one of these files, is it being included, even though it is not part of the solution?

Off hand these are the only reasons I can think of for VA referencing an unexpected file.

© 2023 Whole Tomato Software, LLC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000