Visual Assist
 Technical Support
 1557 VA Outline comments issue.

You must be registered to post a reply.
Click here to register.

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format: BoldItalicizeUnderlineStrikethrough Align leftCenterAlign right Insert horizontal ruleUpload and insert imageInsert hyperlinkInsert email addressInsert codeInsert quoted textInsert listInsert Emoji

Forum code is on.
Html is off.

Check to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Esone Posted - Jun 01 2007 : 05:01:28 AM
1) For the code line "// Some comment.", the VA Outline shows "// // Some comment.". Note double // there. I think, there should be only one //.

2) When the "// Some comment." line is the last line of the source file, without the CRLF after that, than VA outline shows only "//".
18   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
support Posted - Jul 07 2007 : 12:45:15 AM
case=6889 and case=6912 are fixed in Build 1559
feline Posted - Jun 06 2007 : 09:32:44 AM
I have passed on the idea for the developers to consider:

case=6912
Esone Posted - Jun 05 2007 : 08:22:34 AM
quote:
Originally posted by feline
Removing the icon has the down side of effecting how you scan the icon column.

How about my idea given above?

1) To have the icon, looking as // or /*.

2) To trim // or /* from the beginning of the comment string, following the icon.

That seems to solve all issues:
- Icon remains in the icon column.
- No more ugly "// //" or "// /*".
feline Posted - Jun 05 2007 : 08:00:03 AM
So far I don't see a solution that answers everything here. The easiest solution is some form of very plain icon, or no icon at all, thus removing the // // effect on // comments.

Removing the icon has the down side of effecting how you scan the icon column.

We probably need to just try a couple of things, and see how they look.
Esone Posted - Jun 05 2007 : 07:49:26 AM
Dear feline, what would be a solution for the comments display style, considering all discussion in this thread?
feline Posted - Jun 05 2007 : 07:24:43 AM
quote:
Originally posted by accord

(I am repeating myself but really the comment type is more important, then the variable types? )

There is no global answer to that. For some people the answer will be Yes, for some people the answer will be No, and some people will simply not care

Trying to compress a file to an outline is always going to produce "odd changes". The trick is to try and get a clear outline that makes sense.
Esone Posted - Jun 04 2007 : 12:35:30 PM
quote:
What about coloring the // Icon? (black // icon for //, and a different colored // icon for /* */)

Both icon types should have same color: the default color of comments in the VS.

quote:
(I am repeating myself but really the comment type is more important, then the variable types? )

I guess, showing variable types would clutter the VA Outline view, make it less readable. Variables are usually details of private implementations of classes. When I look at the VA Outline, I mostly try to see there the big picture: namespaces, classes, their public interfaces. Personally I am not missing variable types in the outline.

I think, the comments entries in the VA Outline should have icons again, for the sake of readability. Sub-conciously, comments are associalted with their symbols: // and /**/, so eliminating them seems innatural. And when we have icons, it is not so complex to diffirentiate them into two types: // and /*.

So IMHO, comment types are not more important, than variables types. In this context they are merely uncomparable.
accord Posted - Jun 04 2007 : 12:06:29 PM
"...display of comment style // or /**/ would be rather helpful."

What about coloring the // Icon? (black // icon for //, and a different colored // icon for /* */)

Esone Posted - Jun 04 2007 : 11:14:19 AM
quote:

quote:

I have wondered the same thing myself. Removing the // from the comment its self leaves the question of how to handle /* */ comments, currently you can tell the two types apart in VA Outline.

It think the comment type is 100% irrelevant.

When you are see "apple" with a blue icon, you also don't know that is apple is an int or a float.

Though the comment type is not critical, but it is useful IMHO. VA Oultine _outlines_ the structure of the source file, and particulary in my style, explicit display of comment style // or /**/ would be rather helpful.
Esone Posted - Jun 04 2007 : 11:06:24 AM
What concerns comments in VA Outline view. I am sure that the way they are dispalyed now is very non-elegant:
// // The comment itself.

Let's consider the code snippet with comments:

{
   // Comment 1.

some_code

/* Comment 2. */

some_code

/*
   Comment3_line1.
   Comment3_line2.
   Comment3_line3.
   */
}

This is how VA Outline should display these comments:

// Comment 1.

/* Comment 2. */

/* Comment3_line1. Comment3_line2. Comment3_line3. */

The first two symbols of each case(// or /*) - are icons of the corresponding tree leaf. Green color there - is the default VS's color for comments.

Right after the icon, there follows the comment itself, as it works now, but the two first non-space symbols of comment string(// or /*) are trimmed, because they have "moved" into the icon.

In such scheme we would get non-redundant and elegant view. Like that, that has been applied for public-protected-private in 1557.

Also, I think that full eliminating of prepending // or /* is not a good idea. It is not natural at all.
accord Posted - Jun 04 2007 : 10:54:26 AM
quote:

I have wondered the same thing myself. Removing the // from the comment its self leaves the question of how to handle /* */ comments, currently you can tell the two types apart in VA Outline.

It think the comment type is 100% irrelevant.

When you are see "apple" with a blue icon, you also don't know that is apple is an int or a float.
Esone Posted - Jun 04 2007 : 10:42:36 AM
quote:

I had not noticed the problem with the missing final / on comments

Strange. Wherever I put the line:

/* short comment */

in the source file, the VA Outline displays me:

// /* short comment *
feline Posted - Jun 04 2007 : 07:13:18 AM

I have put in a feature request to do something about this, to see what other people make of this idea.
accord Posted - Jun 02 2007 : 5:18:41 PM
One solution to this problem can be if comment signs ("//", "/*", "*/") are totally removed from the string.

For example likewise when I add

int apple;

It shown in VA Outline as "apple" without the "int" keyword. (Comment signs for comment lines is like type keywords for variables )

Or when I write a comment like this:

// *************************
// Some initialization stuff
// *************************

it shown in VA Outline as "// *************** Some initialization stuff *************"
Note that VAX have removed the "//" 2 times from the center of the string. Removing the first occurrence also is not a big deal I think. It may sounds strange but I think it can be a good solution.

What do you think?
sean Posted - Jun 01 2007 : 9:56:42 PM
The suggestion of no icon at all for comments is growing on me. It would make the outline a little less cluttered when display of comments is enabled.
feline Posted - Jun 01 2007 : 11:26:54 AM
I had not noticed the problem with the missing final / on comments:

case=6889

The icon, having an icon on all items allows you to scan down the list and get a feeling for what VA Outline is showing you without having to read each item. So for this reason it makes sense to keep an icon on comment entries.

I do agree that seeing // // on comment lines looks odd, but I am not sure what sort of icon to suggest in its place. Do you have any ideas?
Esone Posted - Jun 01 2007 : 10:30:07 AM
When the code line is "/* short comment */", then VA Outline shows "// /* short comment *". Not that closing '/' is missing.

Besides, I am sure that //-looking icon is odd, followed by real(green) //.

Also, I do not see the point in having //-icon for "/* short comment*/".

My proposition is to replace this // icon with an empty icon and then only to draw the real comment line.
feline Posted - Jun 01 2007 : 10:03:46 AM
Point 1, the first // is the icon. I know this looks odd, but add a comment like:

/* short comment */

so that it shows up as a separate item in VA Outline and you will see what I mean.

Point 2, I am seeing the same thing here:

case=6886

© 2023 Whole Tomato Software, LLC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000