Visual Assist
 Technical Support
 CanG??t type the open bracket!

You must be registered to post a reply.
Click here to register.

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format: BoldItalicizeUnderlineStrikethrough Align leftCenterAlign right Insert horizontal ruleUpload and insert imageInsert hyperlinkInsert email addressInsert codeInsert quoted textInsert listInsert Emoji

Forum code is on.
Html is off.

Check to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Gav Posted - Jun 08 2007 : 06:11:39 AM
At least once a day (sometimes more, four times in the past three hours) VAX stops me typing the open bracket G?(G? of a function call. For instance, typing G?m_MyClass.FunctionG? then pressing the G?(G? key does nothing. No bracket appears, pressing the key again does nothing, moving the cursor and then coming back doesnG??t work either.

The brackets can then be found elsewhere in the edited file. All in the same place, one for each time I pressed the bracket key. I have also had this happen, but rarely, with a G?>G? character after typing a pointer name like G?pMyClass-G?, the G?>G? keypress fails in the same way.

I am using VS 2003 mostly, pretty sure IG??ve seen this in 2005 also. I am writing C++ code. The projects and files I edit are quite large, upto 1.15 MB .CPP files but IG??ve seen this is smaller projects too.

In past versions of VA I have put up with this and used the G?disable/enableG? button in the toolbar to get past the problem and then turn it back on G?? but this button has been removed! Any chance of bringing it back? Please!

*thread moved by feline*
13   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Gav Posted - Jun 14 2007 : 6:47:10 PM
ok, will do.
feline Posted - Jun 14 2007 : 3:08:43 PM
Next time this happens can you enable VA's logging, then reproduce the problem, then close the IDE to stop the log files getting to big:

http://docs.wholetomato.com?W305

Hopefully this will offer some clues. I have the suspicion that what ever the problem is, it takes time to trigger.
Gav Posted - Jun 14 2007 : 11:03:09 AM
No idea of the trigger at the moment. As I said in the previous post, it was 7 hours into the day before it occured last time. I'll keep an eye out for what I was doing next time it happens.

I do a lot of work in my main file, not sure if it is actually that file or the fact that it occurs because most time is spent in that file - might happen in others too.
feline Posted - Jun 14 2007 : 10:52:11 AM
I did not know that. Learn something new every day

Using a large file, 22,000 lines long, I have 9 different windows all opened into the same file, all scrolled to different points in the same file. Typing both '(' and ')' is working perfectly for me. This suggests that multiple views of the same file, on their own, are not causing the problem.

Do you have any idea of the trigger for this problem? Have you been doing a lot of work in the problem file? Or is it just having the IDE open for a couple of days?
Gav Posted - Jun 14 2007 : 04:22:28 AM
Yes. If you have a file open and want another view click "Window->New Window".
feline Posted - Jun 13 2007 : 12:39:15 PM
Your comment "Close all windows - 4 of them were this file" caught my attention. Do you mean you have separate tabs, in the same IDE, showing the same file?

I was not aware you could do this. If so, how are you doing this? This could be the source of the problem.
Gav Posted - Jun 13 2007 : 11:43:58 AM
Hello again. Installed again yesterday morning (1557) and have been busy since (8 hours yesterday and 7 hours today). The problem just cropped up again and I kept a log of everything I did. Here it is:

1. At line 23877
2. CouldnG??t type G?FILoadFromFile(G?, Nothing happens when I type G?(G?.
3. Gone down two lines, tried to type G?ASSERT(G?. CouldnG??t type G?(G? here either/
4. Found G?(((G?G??s at line 15436.
5. Used undo with CTRL+Z to find out what was at line 15436 and it was a G?FILoadFromMemory( &bPtr[iPos], iFileSize, pDIB );G??!?! Coincidence?
6. Anyway, now back with my code as it was before my first problem, moved back to 23877 area, still cant type a G?(G?, not even by itself.
7. Again, brackets appearing at line 15436 but this time at the end like this: G?FILoadFromMemory( &bPtr[iPos], iFileSize, pDIB );((G?
8. I undo the G?((G? errors with CTRL+Z.
9. Close all windows (should note I had 15 windows open, 4 of them were this file).
10. Re-open the file and goto line 23877.
11. I can now type open brackets.

Regarding the project size: The project consists of around 350 (cpp and headers) files, totalling just over 5 megabytes for these files.

As far as I can tell, 1557 hasn't made any difference to me from previous versions, have had this problem a long time.
feline Posted - Jun 08 2007 : 1:12:39 PM
When you are able to reinstall VA some concept of the project size would be interesting. I have used VA quite happily on a solution of around 4,000 files (cpp and headers) which took quite a bit of hard drive space.

If this was a file specific problem then it suggests something about the file is causing VA's parser problems.

I can think of a couple of known bugs that might be a factor here, but they are all fixed in 1557. Did moving to 1557 help much? At all? Make things worse?
Gav Posted - Jun 08 2007 : 08:35:19 AM
I think it is file specific (or project specific). Been messing around, have noticed the auto-complete box isn't working at the moment. So uninstalled VA, found VS IDE auto complete works fine. Can't re-install VA as my serial key is at home with my laptop (should have thought about that before uninstalling!).

The auto-complete would open a list, as soon as I typed say 'm' expecting the list to show 'm' names it would just dissapear. Then if I did a backspace and the '.' again it would display a single item and nothing else. Wouldn't re-list all the items unless I re-loaded VS or cleared VA (with its clear cache option in its options).

Also, I got it back to the point where I had the full auto-complete list, scrolled down it with the mouse (instead of typing a name) and selected a variable. The variable didn't fill in in my code, instead it appeared in a different place in my file - like with the brackets.

I don't know if the CPU is maxed out, it is a big file and some big classes, I will give it a try once reinstalled and post the results.

No other plugins.

Just updated to VA version 1557, was using 1554 and previous versions, back to versions when the "disable" button was in the toolbar (how I used to get round this). I think it is proably due to the size of this project (over 3Mbyte of CPP+H files).

I'll do some investigating and get back here with more info soon.
feline Posted - Jun 08 2007 : 07:32:45 AM
So much for that theory.

Is this problem file specific? It does not sound file specific from your description. Are you seeing any form of pattern to this?

If you run a CPU monitor is this problem associated with the CPU being maxed out?

Do you have any other plugin's installed?
Which version of VA are you using?
Gav Posted - Jun 08 2007 : 06:56:29 AM
Nope, that IDE option is turned off.

The brackets appear in the current edit file, not in a different file.

Also, I have the VAX option "Advanced->Correction->Insert () and closing })]'" turned off.

feline Posted - Jun 08 2007 : 06:24:12 AM
Do you have the IDE setting:

"Show Miscellaneous files in Solution Explorer" in Tools|Options|Environment|Documents.

turned on? There is a known problem where brackets are sometimes sent to the wrong file if this setting is turned on. If you are seeing this problem then when you type the '(' it is actually being entered, but into some other file, so you need to look for other files listed as modified, which no longer compile correctly.

This is actually an IDE bug, it is reporting the wrong file as the active file, and we are trying to find a reliable fix in VAX.

Unfortunately we do not yet have one, but turning off this option fixes the problem.

case=4903
Gav Posted - Jun 08 2007 : 06:14:37 AM
Sorry, meant to post this to the general formum. Admin, please move.

© 2023 Whole Tomato Software, LLC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000