Visual Assist
 Technical Support
 Rename doesn't change comments

You must be registered to post a reply.
Click here to register.

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format: BoldItalicizeUnderlineStrikethrough Align leftCenterAlign right Insert horizontal ruleUpload and insert imageInsert hyperlinkInsert email addressInsert codeInsert quoted textInsert listInsert Emoji

Forum code is on.
Html is off.

Check to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
graham.reeds Posted - Jun 12 2007 : 08:39:08 AM
Using the rename doesn't change the comments.

Most modern refactoring IDE's have an option to change the comments as well.

This also should be an option in VAX.

Thanks, G.
3   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
feline Posted - Jun 12 2007 : 09:08:08 AM
Parameter names, if you are avoiding "Hungarian" format (a discussion I do not intend to get into ) then "common" names can turn up quite often. Bool parameters like "print" or "create" immediately come to mind.

A related situation is three functions in a row, all taking a parameter with the same name. This is fine, so long as you know which comments go with which functions, but there are cases where this is not clear.
graham.reeds Posted - Jun 12 2007 : 09:03:12 AM
That is true. I'll have a look tonight what Netbeans does in this situation, though I suspect that it will splurge all over the comments with the rename.

How often do you use a common word for a variable and not a compound made of several?

On the side of changing comments, the renaming of comments will allow 3rd party references to change too (as in @CMyClass in Doxygen)
feline Posted - Jun 12 2007 : 08:56:03 AM
Currently this is by design. We are considering having rename search the comments, but what happens when the parameter name you are renaming is a common word? VA cannot assume that all instances of this word, in all comments in all files should be renamed.

case=3565

© 2023 Whole Tomato Software, LLC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000