Visual Assist
 Technical Support
 Strange transparent info popups

You must be registered to post a reply.
Click here to register.

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format: BoldItalicizeUnderlineStrikethrough Align leftCenterAlign right Insert horizontal ruleUpload and insert imageInsert hyperlinkInsert email addressInsert codeInsert quoted textInsert listInsert Emoji

Forum code is on.
Html is off.

Check to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
eve Posted - Jun 21 2007 : 11:45:56 AM
Hi,

sometimes my IDE gets into a state where VAX no longer show suggestions. Instead it shows a strange transparent rectangle (see screenshot below).
I have no idea how to reproduce this, nor how to get rid of it. I tried to clear the cache, restart the IDE, ... bot that does not seem to help.
Although sometimes it seems to fix itself.

Is there anybody who has had this as well and found a way to solve it?

This screenshot was taken just after pressing '(' and the empty box should contain the full prototype of the function 'registerLineBlock'

And this one after pressing ':'. Here the empty box should contain the type of the member 'm_lineTypeList'

all hints welcome, thanks,
eli

p.s. my VAX specs:

VA_X.dll file version 10.3.1557.0 built 2007.05.29
Licensed to:
VA X: <nospam@><nospam>.com (25-user license) Support ends 2007.07.10
VAOpsWin.dll version 1.3.2.2
VATE.dll version 1.0.5.6
DevEnv.exe version 8.0.50727.762
msenv.dll version 8.0.50727.762
Font: Courier New 17(Pixels)
Comctl32.dll version 6.0.2900.2982
Windows XP 5.1 Build 2600 Service Pack 2
2 processors

Platform: Win32
Stable Includes:
C:\\DevStudio\\Vs2005\\VC\\include;
C:\\DevStudio\\Vs2005\\VC\\atlmfc\\include;
C:\\DevStudio\\Vs2005\\VC\\PlatformSDK\\include;
C:\\DevStudio\\Vs2005\\SDK\\v2.0\\include;

Library Includes:
C:\\DevStudio\\Vs2005\\VC\\atlmfc\\src\\mfc;
C:\\DevStudio\\Vs2005\\VC\\atlmfc\\src\\mfcm;
C:\\DevStudio\\Vs2005\\VC\\atlmfc\\src\\atl;
C:\\DevStudio\\Vs2005\\VC\\crt\\src;

Other Includes:

8   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
feline Posted - Oct 02 2007 : 2:34:45 PM
We are fairly sure VA is not leaking resources, which suggests that the problem (assuming this is a resource problem) is coming from somewhere else.

Unfortunately this does not help much, and so far I have yet to find a good way of finding out where the resource problem I am seeing is coming from. I have yet to find any obvious problem programs by checking running processes in Process Explorer.
eve Posted - Oct 02 2007 : 01:33:38 AM
I really cannot say, but usually I am forced to reboot after 1 or 2 weeks. But luckily this is not always because of the transparent window problem.
feline Posted - Oct 01 2007 : 4:39:59 PM
Approximately how long after a reboot before you start seeing this problem?

Across 3 or 4 different machines, and over 2 years I have seen regular problems with hibernating and restoring my winXP machine. After about a week of this I am forced to reboot the machine since things "stop working". It seems to be a resource leak, and the system cannot create new windows, which breaks all sorts of things.

IDE and VA usage never seem to make any difference, suggesting they are not a factor.

I am starting to think that leaving email clients (Microsoft Outlook - various versions, or Thunderbird - various versions) when I hibernate is causing this, or at least making it a lot worse. I have some evidence to support this, but no good idea why it should be a problem. Its almost as if the OS network routines these programs use do not like being hibernated.
eve Posted - Oct 01 2007 : 02:14:34 AM
I'm seeing exactly the same: rebooting helps, restarting the IDE doesn't. Maybe you can ask that other reporter if he also has the habit of avoiding reboots as much as possible: that results in relatively high uptimes (in the widows world at least).
feline Posted - Sep 28 2007 : 1:35:45 PM
Not much unfortunately. Someone reported the same problem via email a few days ago, but also said that when this starts happening a reboot fixes the problem. However simply restarting the IDE was no help.

This rather suggests that for that user something somewhere is leaking resources.

Once this starts happening does restarting the IDE fix the problem?
If not does rebooting the machine help?
eve Posted - Sep 28 2007 : 03:06:54 AM
Any progress on this?
I've seen it again in the new 1609 build...
eve Posted - Jul 02 2007 : 11:40:35 AM
Note: some more messages are in TOPIC_ID=6417, but this seems a more appropriate thread to post messages about this problem.

In the other thread feline suggested that it could be a GDI resource problem, but I guess that is not the case. I'm seeing the problem again and none of my processes show an abnormal amount of GDI Objects. Also the maximum system wide-amount limit (something like 10.000 I seem to remember) is well out of range.
feline Posted - Jun 22 2007 : 07:41:28 AM
We have had a couple of other reports of this problem, but so far we have never been able to reproduce it, or find out what is causing it.

When this starts happening can you try turning off:

VA Options -> Advanced -> Fonts and Colors -> Apply Colouring to -> Tooltips
VA Options -> Advanced -> General -> Enable automatic Quick Info ToolTips

and see if this makes any difference?

It is possible you are experiencing a GDI resource leak in one of the processes running on your machine. When this happens, are other applications able to display tooltips? If your machine gets in this state again, launch task manager and choose View - Select Columns - GDI Objects. Sort by GDI object count and see if one or more processes has a count much greater than other processes, and whether that count is steadily increasing.

© 2023 Whole Tomato Software, LLC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000