Visual Assist
 Technical Support
 Class View broken

You must be registered to post a reply.
Click here to register.

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format: BoldItalicizeUnderlineStrikethrough Align leftCenterAlign right Insert horizontal ruleUpload and insert imageInsert hyperlinkInsert email addressInsert codeInsert quoted textInsert listInsert Emoji

Forum code is on.
Html is off.

Check to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Mordachai Posted - Jul 02 2007 : 3:12:46 PM
When I use the class view tab in VS 2005 (SP1), my class view is rebuilt over & over again. The second it finishing "building" it decides it is somehow out of date and immediately begins the process again.

This goes on forever.

This means that I cannot use the class view - as VS is so sluggish as to be useless - and I cannot navigate to anything or even use this view of the code as a reference. Its just too slow, and the second it finishes, it starts over anyway.

Ideas?

I've got VA_X.dll 10.3.1557.
VisualStudio 2005 all of the latest official service packs.
10   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
feline Posted - Jun 11 2008 : 08:54:55 AM
Are you talking about the class view shown via:

IDE View menu -> Class View

? This is quite separate to VA View or VA Outline.

The contents of the IDE's Class View are related to the default intellisense in the IDE, and VA should not have any effect on this. If you close the IDE, then delete the NCB file in the root directory of your solution, and then reload the IDE does this make any difference?

The IDE will rebuild this file after you have deleted it, but this might take a while, depending on the size of your solution.
Mordachai Posted - Jun 10 2008 : 2:27:44 PM
Haven't been to these forums in a long while, but wanted to update this status on this issue.

The problem remains.

VS 2005 has been patched since my last post, and Vista SP 1 is released and installed.

I continue to have the VS class view rebuild itself continuously (but type-ahead suggestion & code underlining / highlighting etc. all work just fine.

We have a complex project, with maybe a 1000 files, convoluted #include patterns, etc (C++ using MFC).

I don't see this problem with smaller projects (even ones that include many of the same libraries). - I'm assuming that VA Outline View is what became of VA Class view.

Also, I have disabled all of the foolish Vista "security" - and I log in and run as a local-admin account (so everything I do is as administrator - just as one would expect under XP).
feline Posted - Jul 03 2007 : 12:32:30 PM
I have a Vista Buisness 32bit test system here, with VS2005 SP1 and VA 1557 installed, and I am not seeing any problems with the class view.

This seems to prove there is no global problem with VA, VS2005 and Vista, but not much else.

I am wondering about permissions / access rights. VS2005 wants you to run it as an administrator under Vista, I recall getting an error message telling that certain things would not work correctly if this was not done.

There is also a Vista specific VS2005 patch that gets installed after VS2005 SP1, but off the top of my head I don't remember anything else, but I do seem to recall installing it on this test machine.

Do you know if you have installed this patch?
Mordachai Posted - Jul 03 2007 : 09:44:46 AM
I have had VA installed since the get-go. Its my go-to program - much loved!

I have rebuilt my ncbs before, but I'll give that a shot again. I'm running Vista 32 / Ultimate, and none of my coworkers are, so perhaps there's a VS 2005 bug under Vista (that was my original assumption, but who knows)?

Thanks
feline Posted - Jul 03 2007 : 06:35:17 AM
Did you install VA at the beginning, or was this also installed after a while? I am just looking for clues really.

You could try closing the IDE and then deleting the NCB file from the root directory of your solution. The IDE will re-build this file if it is missing, and deleting it, this forcing the rebuild, should fix any corruption that may have occurred. VS2003 is known to corrupt the NCB files all on its own, but this does not seem to happen with VS2005, at least not normally.

You have eliminated CPU and memory as problems.

Since this seems to be unique to you and your system it might be something machine specific. Some program only you are using? Some specific driver version only you have?
Mordachai Posted - Jul 02 2007 : 5:06:26 PM
Since its one of these horrible "sometimes" issues - I can understand your reservations.
I feel like an idiot since this seemed to be consistent, but having tried just stopping & starting VAX has made an improvement (and may well be enough to live with).

At any rate, my CPU is no where near saturated - I've got a Dual Core 2 - E6600 - so lots & lots of processing power (lol - ask me in a year or two and I'll disagree vehemently with myself!)

I've got lots of ram, a fast harddrive, etc. And I have a CPU & memory monitor on all of the time to guage where things are bogging down, etc. And although sometimes of course I exceed the capacity of both, its not for very long.

I'll keep an eye on the behaviour, and let you know if I can find something more "repeatable". Both of my coworkers do not experience this issue, so it doesn't seem to be endemic to VAX per se.

As to other plug-ins, this issue has been with me pretty much since day one on my Vista 32 Ultimate machine. I have only added one other VS plug-in - BoundsChecker. But again, the problem greatly predates the BC plugin.

Thanks
feline Posted - Jul 02 2007 : 4:40:42 PM
Do you have any other plugin's installed?

If you run a CPU monitor is your system running at 100% out a lot?
This is a wild guess, but the IDE's intellisense scanner is known to use a lot of CPU time, which is why a lot of people disable it. Disabling it also disables the class view, understandably enough.

If the IDE is stressing your machine it is possible that VA's own intellisense scanner, which is much less invasive, is "pushing it over the edge", and the IDE simply cannot get enough CPU time to properly update the class view.

I don't recall anyone else ever reporting a problem like yours, so I am not really sure where to start looking for the solution to be honest.
Mordachai Posted - Jul 02 2007 : 4:14:40 PM
Ah - I spoke too soon!

The behaviour seems to come and go. It started doing the weird "refresh" loop as I originally described for several iterations, but now is back to being stable.

Any other ideas? ATM its not a real issue - I don't mind the occassional spurious reload of the class browser. But it used to do it constantly, making the class browser utterly useless.
Mordachai Posted - Jul 02 2007 : 4:09:35 PM
lol - I was about to say that disabling VA fixed the issue - until I reenabled VA and the issue was still fixed.

So I don't know if simply toggling VA off then on fixed it, or if there was something glitched temporarily before that has since been resolved? Weird.

At any rate, the problem is gone for the moment. I'll post again if it reappears - as it does appear to be 'fixed'.

Also, FYI - I hvae syntax coloring enabled for soruce windows only.

I just restarted VS 2005 - and the problem reamins "fixed". Hopefully this is the last you'll hear from me about it.

thanks
feline Posted - Jul 02 2007 : 3:25:17 PM
Theoretically VA should not be having any effects on the IDE's class view beyond colouring it. If you turn off:

VA Options -> Advanced -> Fonts and Colors -> Enhance Syntax Coloring

does this make any difference?

Does disabling VA via the IDE menu:

VAssistX -> Enable/Disable Visual Assist X

make any difference?

© 2023 Whole Tomato Software, LLC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000