Visual Assist
 Technical Support
 Intermittent functionality with no intellisense

You must be registered to post a reply.
Click here to register.

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format: BoldItalicizeUnderlineStrikethrough Align leftCenterAlign right Insert horizontal ruleUpload and insert imageInsert hyperlinkInsert email addressInsert codeInsert quoted textInsert listInsert Emoji

Forum code is on.
Html is off.

Check to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Jacobi Posted - Jul 18 2007 : 01:36:30 AM
So lately VS2005 has become unbearably slow for me (i.e. type a character, wait... type a couple more characters... wait...). So, in desperation, I made a zero-length ncb file and renamed my DLL according to this:

http://docs.wholetomato.com?W133

My project is pretty large, and now it's faster, but it seems to come at an unreasonable cost. Visual Assist has stopped working! Well, it works sometimes, but mostly it's not. I'll type a variable name and . or -> wont bring up any list boxes and alt-space does nothing. Everything has the correct syntax coloring, however. All the symbols I'm referencing are in my vcproj, and findable via the find symbols dialog too.

This seems to be happening about 80% of the time, and it seems like there are specific triggers that make it stop working. Here's an example I'm pulling my hair out over tonight:

GameObject* pPlayerGameObj;

GameObject is a class that's defined in a header included in my project (implementation as well). GameObject has a member variable called m_loc, which is of type RootTransform, also defined in my project, in a separate header.

So I clean my symbols, clear my cache, reload my IDE, and go to this file where I have this line of code (I should note, its a sizeable file- almost 3500 lines with 53 #includes). I start typing pp, and it brings up the suggestion for pPlayerGameObj (yay). I accept it, and then type ->, and it brings up the members list, just how I like it (double-yay). I type m, going for m_loc, it's fine, but as soon as I hit shift, it adds the _ like it's supposed to, but the listbox goes away, and VAX completely stops working in the editor. Going back to bring up the members of pPlayerGameObj fails, and even trying to type in pp to start over it fails to bring up the suggestions.

... then pPlayerGameObj turns black, as if VAX suddenly forgot what it was, and I see it's re-parsing that file. If I go away for a little while and come back to the editor, then I'm back at square one and I can get suggestions again, but every time as soon as I hit shift in this sequence it's guaranteed to stop functioning.

Now while it was painfully slow before, I've never had this kind of problem with VAX not working. This is odd, however, since I didn't have the box checked that said VAX should get info from Intellisense. I feel like I am at my wits end. I have logging turned on if that will help. For now I will try and reproduce this somehow into a test case that I can provide you guys.
2   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
feline Posted - Jul 18 2007 : 07:20:39 AM
First up, have you deleted the Stable and Library includes from your about information? Or do you really not have any?

If you do not have any this might be causing problems with "built in" types, since VA will not know anything about them, since it will not be aware of, or scanning the header files that declare them. By built in types I mean anything that is not listed in your solution, so CString, std::string, etc.

If you show VA View, place focus into the editor and hover the mouse over "GameObject" does VA show you the class structure correctly in the bottom half of VA View?

If you turn on:

VA Options -> Advanced -> listboxes -> allow acronyms
VA Options -> Advanced -> listboxes -> allow shorthand
VA Options -> Advanced -> listboxes -> shrink when possible

and return to the problem code:

GameObject* pPlayerGameObj;
pPlayerGameObj->|

and type "mlo" instead of "m_" what happens? I am expecting to see the listbox remain on the screen, shrink and filter correctly, and for "m_loc" to remain visible.

It is almost as if the act of typing the underscore is causing problems.

Can you run a CPU meter, and trigger:

VAssistX -> Tools -> Reparse Current File

3500 is a fair sized file, but not that massive. If it was 35,000 lines then I would be a bit more bothered about the file size

How long does this reparse seem to take? It should be close to instant.

If the reparse seems slow are you able to copy the source tree locally and repeat the test? I am trying to find out if the network is a factor or not. It might be slowing down parsing, due to delays in getting hold of the files, but this does not explain the other problems you are seeing.
Jacobi Posted - Jul 18 2007 : 01:43:05 AM
Also, all the source files are accessed over the (gigabit) network.

Some other info:

VA_X.dll file version 10.3.1559.0 built 2007.07.06
VAOpsWin.dll version 1.3.2.4
VATE.dll version 1.0.5.8
DevEnv.exe version 8.0.50727.762
msenv.dll version 8.0.50727.762
Font: Courier New 13(Pixels)
Comctl32.dll version 6.0.2900.2982
Windows XP 5.1 Build 2600 Service Pack 2
2 processors

Platform: Custom
Stable Includes: