Visual Assist
 Technical Support
 Refactoring in mondo solutions

You must be registered to post a reply.
Click here to register.

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format: BoldItalicizeUnderlineStrikethrough Align leftCenterAlign right Insert horizontal ruleUpload and insert imageInsert hyperlinkInsert email addressInsert codeInsert quoted textInsert listInsert Emoji

Forum code is on.
Html is off.

Check to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
sosedada Posted - Aug 09 2007 : 11:50:03 AM
I have 141 projects in my solution that I use most often. This presents a performance issue for refactorings that want to search the whole codebase like Rename Method. I'd really like to be able to have a stop search when I know I've hit every instance.
4   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
sosedada Posted - Aug 10 2007 : 1:18:16 PM
Thanks.

I'd love to develop a smaller solution, but unless we move towards totally isolated dll's instead of static linking, it will still be the near the same number of h/cpp files.
feline Posted - Aug 10 2007 : 1:12:59 PM
The problem with the dependent projects is that I personally often trigger rename where I am using something, since this is when I realise the current name is bad. At this point you need to scan the dependencies the other way, and as you say, this assumes people are even using dependencies.

From what people have said over the years I would say you are using a LOT more projects than most users, so getting clever with scanning in project order may not be all that helpful.

I have put in a feature request for the ability to stop the find and just rename what is listed, since this could help anyone with very large projects, so long as you use it carefully:

case=8151
sosedada Posted - Aug 10 2007 : 12:29:03 PM
Current project only would work well for the situations I've had trouble with lately. Of course, I want it both ways. Many of my classes get used across many projects, so having refactorings that can extend beyond the current project is nice.

Ideally for me, I guess, would be to have a stop scan button and have the scan algorithm do the current project first, followed by scanning projects listed as dependent on the current project in the solution, followed by the rest of the projects in case the user isn't using dependencies.
feline Posted - Aug 10 2007 : 12:16:29 PM
That's a fairly large solution.

We are considering changing Find References so that it only checks the current project:

case=2490

and applying the same change to rename is a logical extension. Would this help you? Or are you needing to rename items that are used in several projects inside the solution, and need to stop the scan after VA has found all references?

© 2023 Whole Tomato Software, LLC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000