Visual Assist
 Technical Support
 VS crash

You must be registered to post a reply.
Click here to register.

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format: BoldItalicizeUnderlineStrikethrough Align leftCenterAlign right Insert horizontal ruleUpload and insert imageInsert hyperlinkInsert email addressInsert codeInsert quoted textInsert listInsert Emoji

Forum code is on.
Html is off.

Check to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Ivan A. Fotan Posted - Aug 20 2007 : 09:37:11 AM
As I told a long time ago, VS with SP1 installed very often crash on some solutions when VAX is installed. Crash is when I try to close solution or exit the IDE. And, what is interest, IDE just doesn't close solution but after disabling VAX, GPF window appears with the following information:

Problem signature:
Problem Event Name: APPCRASH
Application Name: devenv.exe
Application Version: 8.0.50727.867
Application Timestamp: 45d2c842
Fault Module Name: va_x.dll
Fault Module Version: 10.3.1559.0
Fault Module Timestamp: 468e8562
Exception Code: c0000005
Exception Offset: 0002c450
OS Version: 6.0.6000.2.0.0.256.1
Locale ID: 1058

Additional information about the problem:
LCID: 1033
10   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
feline Posted - Aug 22 2007 : 2:47:03 PM
That's quite a lot of threads. I have asked our developers about this. To be honest I have no idea what is going wrong here:

case=8319
Ivan A. Fotan Posted - Aug 22 2007 : 11:35:59 AM
Screenshot is located here:
http://www.dreamsoft-sg.com/temp/vax_err.png

If you are interesting in more info, I can leave this session unclosed for nearest time.
feline Posted - Aug 22 2007 : 07:34:21 AM
How many threads / call stacks are there?
If there are not to many then all of them might be the best answer. Any call stack that contains references to VA's dll's is certainly going to be of interest.
Ivan A. Fotan Posted - Aug 21 2007 : 12:38:08 PM
Which thread (and its call stack) is most interest for you ?
feline Posted - Aug 21 2007 : 09:27:38 AM
I have the log files, thank you for those. They are not listing any errors or exceptions being caught by VA, which is unexpected.

Can you try getting a call stack next time this happens please?

Once the IDE crashes or hangs launch a second instance of VS2005, but do not load any solution in this second instance.

Open the Tools menu and select "Attach to Process..."
In the dialog that appears select "devenv.exe" in the Available Processes list and press the "Attach" button.
Once the second IDE has finished attaching open the Debug menu and select "Break All"
If the Call Stack window is not visible then show it by opening the Debug menu and selecting "Windows -> Call Stack"

You should now be able to click into the Call Stack window, select all of the text via CTRL-A then copy / paste it into your reply.
Ivan A. Fotan Posted - Aug 21 2007 : 05:14:22 AM
I sent you .log files, hope that helps to solve the trouble or at least detect if it is VAX related.
P.S. I can reproduce this trouble in almost 100% cases
feline Posted - Aug 20 2007 : 1:58:36 PM
Are you running the IDE as administrator? This should not matter, but I am wondering if it does since you are using Vista.

Is there any obvious pattern to the solutions that crash?
Do they all use some unusual 3rd party library?

Can you try deleting the .ncb files from the solutions that crash? The IDE will recreate these, and this *might* make a difference. Corrupt NCB files can cause problems.

VA log files of the crash happening would be very interesting, along with a call stack of the crash. Any chance of getting these?

Ideally if you can reproduce the crash on demand can you turn on VA logging just before closing the IDE, so the log files are quite small. Please see here for details of VA log files:

http://docs.wholetomato.com?W305
Ivan A. Fotan Posted - Aug 20 2007 : 12:49:35 PM
And for information -- the same solution (for sure converted) has no troubles under VS 2008 Beta 2.
Ivan A. Fotan Posted - Aug 20 2007 : 12:48:29 PM
On the about box there is:
8.0.50727.867 (vsvista.050727-8600)

I think the version differs because I have installed Vista update.

No, IDE crashes only on some solutions (there was more such solutions but this was known SP1 trouble with .asm files into the solution; now, when MASM rule was removed from these files and extention was changed these solutions causes no problem). And sometimes it is enough to load solution (even doesn't run or debug it) and after this I cannot close it.

Yes, maybe it is solution specific, but it is strange as va_x.dll is in the log.

Maybe the trouble is into VS, but VAX's exception handler catchs this?
feline Posted - Aug 20 2007 : 12:10:33 PM
That is bad. We have lots of users with VS2005 SP1 installed without any problems, so this service pack on its own should not be causing any problems.

On my test system with VS2005 SP1 installed VS2005 help menu -> about is reporting version 8.0.50727.762 (SP .050727-7600)

Do you have the same version number on your machine? I am wondering if you have any hot fixes, or unusual patches installed.

Does this crash every time you close the IDE, or only some of the time?
I am wondering if there is any form of pattern or trigger.

Does simply loading the IDE and then closing it, without loading any solutions also crash?
It is possible the problem is solution specific.

© 2023 Whole Tomato Software, LLC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000