Visual Assist
 Technical Support
 Visual Assist comes up with Compile error in DLL

You must be registered to post a reply.
Click here to register.

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format: BoldItalicizeUnderlineStrikethrough Align leftCenterAlign right Insert horizontal ruleUpload and insert imageInsert hyperlinkInsert email addressInsert codeInsert quoted textInsert listInsert Emoji

Forum code is on.
Html is off.

Check to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
dtuckfield Posted - Aug 31 2007 : 01:11:28 AM
When you open a project up for the first time that has class projects as references to another project, and you have yet to compile the project as you are just opening, Visual Assist comes up with a compile error in module visual assist because the dll of the project does not exist yet because it has not yet been compiled, is there anyway to stop this, because if you open a large project up with say 20 dll projects, then for each seperate application that references these dll's you have to click cancel to the debug message from .NET framework..
6   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
feline Posted - Sep 03 2007 : 12:01:28 PM
Sounds like a regression. I don't have any import statements in my current project, I will try adding some, and see if I can reproduce this.
dtuckfield Posted - Sep 03 2007 : 07:59:47 AM
I should also say we only noticed this in build 1557...previously this did not cause a problem.
dtuckfield Posted - Sep 03 2007 : 07:47:44 AM
They are references and used in Import statements.
Just wondering, if the compiled DLL in your example has already been imported into VA, if you cleared your cache, and then opened the project with the cleared bin folders if you run into the same problem.
feline Posted - Sep 03 2007 : 07:12:25 AM
So far I cannot reproduce this problem. I have tried with both VS2003 and VS2005.

I have a solution using C++, C# and VB.NET projects, where the C# and VB are both building dll's, and are set as project dependencies for the main C++ project.

With the IDE closed I deleted the bin directories, and thus the dll's, for all of these projects, and then loaded the IDE. I get no error messages, and see no problems. This is what I expected, since normally VA parses the source code inside the projects rather than the dll that the source code is compiled into.

I suspect that you have done something in your project that I have not done here. Do you know if the source code directly references or imports the dll's in some manor?

Are these dll's being listed in the references node in solution explorer?
dtuckfield Posted - Sep 02 2007 : 8:49:17 PM
MS Visual Studio 2003 and C# and VB.NET

Basically if you get a project from sourcesafe for the first time, and opens up in the IDE Visual assist is expecting dlls for the class's to exists already in the bin directory of the projects, but this wont happen until you build it, so for a large project with many class files/dlls you have to keep cancelling this which is annoying.
Visual Assist should relise that if the DLL does not exist not to try and load it.
feline Posted - Aug 31 2007 : 07:56:11 AM
Which IDE and programming language are you using?

How are you setting these references? Are you just telling the IDE that one project is dependent on another project, or are you somehow importing or including the dll files in the source code?

© 2023 Whole Tomato Software, LLC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000