Visual Assist
 Technical Support
 OFIW window pops up on different display

You must be registered to post a reply.
Click here to register.

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format: BoldItalicizeUnderlineStrikethrough Align leftCenterAlign right Insert horizontal ruleUpload and insert imageInsert hyperlinkInsert email addressInsert codeInsert quoted textInsert listInsert Emoji

Forum code is on.
Html is off.

Check to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
jmihalicza Posted - Sep 04 2007 : 06:18:28 AM
OFIW window appears on the primary display even if the IDE where I invoke the command is on the secondary.
3   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
feline Posted - Sep 05 2007 : 07:54:43 AM
First the easy one, if you position OFIW on the secondary monitor, and then disable this monitor next time you show the OFIW window it will appear on the main monitor, so you can see it. This was fixed a few builds ago.

You have a fairly complex situation. When I work with two monitors I tend to place floating windows from the IDE onto the second monitor, e.g. Solution Explorer and the Output window. So I am using the IDE across two monitors, but it is not stretched across both.

What happens when I have the IDE placed on the secondary monitor, but move the OFIW window onto the primary monitor, and expect it to appear there next time I open it?

Forcing the window to appear "centred" over the IDE is the opposite of remembering the size and position of the dialog.

Unfortunately some of the things you seem to be after are the exact opposite to what many of our users want to happen.
jmihalicza Posted - Sep 04 2007 : 8:07:46 PM
Thanks, that solved the problem for this particular case.

I know that this whole window positioning thing is not a big issue, I just started thinking about how I would like its behavior and found that in fact it is not that easy to describe an ideal solution.
Let me describe some scenarios.

I am either using my laptop standalone, or together with an external display thus having two screens.
Some projects use VS2005, some use VS2003.
It is quite usual that I have up to 4 instances of VS open with different projects.
Each VS instance is definitely on one of the displays (though I know some people who like it being stretched over the two displays). In most cases they are all maximized.
Sometimes I reorganize my VS windows among the displays.
Sometimes I unplug/plug the external display.
My needs:
- the OFIW/FSIW window should always open on top of its owner VS window. I just tried exchanging the locations of my two VS instances and because of the saved locations both of them opened the windows on top of the wrong instance.
- yes, it should preserve its size
- I like them to be centered, this is the default I think. Position saving is ok also, if doesn't cause problems (see later)
- the two displays have different resolutions, one of them is much wider, I don't want to have problems from a saved location/size which looks bad on the other display (when I unplug the external display the VS instances are resized to the laptop display)
- I don't want problems from saving a big x position (because the window is on the second display) and opening it on a single display at an invisible position (I didn't tested this, maybe it is neither a problem now)
- I want to have the same behavior regardless of the VS kinds (2005/2003) I use, the order of exiting from them (save time?) etc. I would like to treat VAX to be a single system used by the different VS instances and versions.

Maybe one day I can produce a concrete specification, maybe I just say that the current behavior is the best among all variations if we enumerate all the needs.
feline Posted - Sep 04 2007 : 07:23:21 AM
If you move the OFIW window to the secondary window and then close it does it remember this new position? The window should remember its size and position. As a result it is not supposed to "follow" the IDE from monitor to monitor, since you probably want it to always appear in the same place.

© 2023 Whole Tomato Software, LLC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000