Visual Assist
 Technical Support
 1614: Inserting and deleting apostrophes

You must be registered to post a reply.
Click here to register.

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format: BoldItalicizeUnderlineStrikethrough Align leftCenterAlign right Insert horizontal ruleUpload and insert imageInsert hyperlinkInsert email addressInsert codeInsert quoted textInsert listInsert Emoji

Forum code is on.
Html is off.

Check to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Frunobulax Posted - Nov 01 2007 : 07:31:50 AM
Hi,

a suggestion and a confusing behaviour (or a possible bug) - 1614, VS2005 with C++:

Sometimes I hit an apostrophe ' instead of a semicolon. (I broke a finger recently, and you wouldn't believe how thick a finger can get if you don't use it for a few months ;-)
In this case, VAX does add another closing apostrophe. OK.

Now, if I immediately hit backspace (noting that I mistyped), the closing apostrophe is not deleted. (Which should be done IMHO - this is the suggestion part.)

Even worse (and this is the bug part :-), if I insert the apostrophe accidentally and then hit the keyboard sequence "cursor right, backspace , backspace" then for some reason the opening apostrophe is still there. I have to hit backspace 3 times to delete both apostrophes.

Yes, I figured out that hitting backspace twice will delete both apostrophes. Which is still confusing, because backspace usually only deletes stuff left of the caret.

Regards, Thomas

3   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
feline Posted - Nov 01 2007 : 1:46:24 PM
*ah* I did not understand, my mistake.

I have put in a feature request for backspace to remove both characters at once, this makes sense when I think about it:

case=9642

Pressing backspace 3 times, I am seeing the same problem:

case=9643
Frunobulax Posted - Nov 01 2007 : 1:22:38 PM
quote:
Originally posted by feline

If I now add a single quote (apostrophe) VA inserts two of them, as expected.

Correct.

quote:

If I press backspace once, and one of them is deleted.

Also correct. As I suggested, both of them should be deleted if the backspace follows the typing of the apostrophe immediately.

quote:

If I press backspace a second time, both of them are deleted.

Yes, isn't that what I described initially?
It gets weird if you add a "cursor right" before the two backspaces.
This happens also if I wait a few seconds.

Regards, Thomas
feline Posted - Nov 01 2007 : 11:48:37 AM
Something odd is going on here. using VS2005 and VA 1614 I added the following code to a cpp file:

static void testSingleQuotes()
{
	std::string strName;
	strName.length()|
}

If I now add a single quote (apostrophe) VA inserts two of them, as expected.
If I press backspace once, and one of them is deleted.
If I press backspace a second time, both of them are deleted.

Can you try the same tests, with the same code please? I am wondering if this is somehow situation specific, or if it is some form of timing issue.

If you press single quote, two are inserted, wait a few seconds, then press backspace what happens?

© 2023 Whole Tomato Software, LLC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000