Visual Assist
 Technical Support
 few second pause when saving files

You must be registered to post a reply.
Click here to register.

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format: BoldItalicizeUnderlineStrikethrough Align leftCenterAlign right Insert horizontal ruleUpload and insert imageInsert hyperlinkInsert email addressInsert codeInsert quoted textInsert listInsert Emoji

Forum code is on.
Html is off.

Check to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
qdin Posted - Nov 06 2007 : 4:06:41 PM
Hi,

I regularly get a pause of 2-3 seconds, sometimes longer, when saving most files.

Any idea what's causing this, and how to stop it? This hasn't been that noticeable until recently. And I Ctrl-S religiously, so it's getting a bit frustrating.

Any help is much appreciated.
Thanks,

Eric
15   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
support Posted - Apr 10 2008 : 01:29:55 AM
case=9821 is fixed in build 1632
feline Posted - Feb 07 2008 : 5:39:04 PM
If you are loading the IDE with a batch file the best answer is probably to have the batch file update this registry key, and set it to the full path you want to use. I have never tested it with an environment variable, so I really don't know if that will work or not.

Moving VA's entire symbol database all the time is going to cause VA to do a lot of extra scanning, and "forget" things as well, since when it moves to a new location any information from the old location is no longer available. I would not have thought you would need to move it at all regularly.
qdin Posted - Feb 07 2008 : 1:11:21 PM
Glad to hear you guys have been working on it.

I cleared everything just before posting yesterday. Also, I installed 1626 only yesterday, so I haven't seen large amounts of files yet. I'll keep you posted.

Just tried out the registry fix, and it works - thanks for that.

Question - can this detect environment variables? So that my registry entry can be something like
UserDataDir = %devroot%\\VAUserData. Sometimes I use a batch script to open VS (since I have multiple dev drives) and the batch script sets a local environment var to the current dev drive/dir before opening the IDE.

Thanks.
feline Posted - Feb 07 2008 : 07:57:39 AM
gdin how many files do you have in VA's history directory? Some changes have been made internally to try and limit the build up of files. Hopefully they will show up in the next build of VA.

accord if you are concerned about file locations then move VA's symbol database, and related files, to a more secure location, as described here:

http://docs.wholetomato.com?W332

You are also going to need to think about temporary files from source control, source control diff programs, the compiler, etc.
accord Posted - Feb 06 2008 : 5:48:03 PM
quote:
I use ecryptable drives for my dev directories, and this issue causes code to be saved outside of them.

I think also it is a serious security issue, and should be fixed soon. I didn't even knew about it...
qdin Posted - Feb 06 2008 : 4:08:55 PM
Hi,

Just wondering if any progress has been made on this. I've noticed the problem is still happening in build 1626.

At this point, it's becoming a security issue. Auto recovery is off, but it's still saving files to the vs8\\history directory every time i save. I use ecryptable drives for my dev directories, and this issue causes code to be saved outside of them. Is there at least a way to redirect where auto recovery saves?

thanks.
qdin Posted - Nov 10 2007 : 9:01:42 PM
quote:
Originally posted by sean

Does your solution use headers that are not part of the solution and that are also not in the system include path?

If by system include path you mean the Windows system environment variable PATH, then possibly.

I might have a few files that are only included via msvc C++ include paths, but not included as part of the solution.
sean Posted - Nov 09 2007 : 2:52:13 PM
I've opened up a case for the history directory not getting purged in a timely manner:
case=9821

in the meantime, you can press the "Clear" button on the Performance page of the VA Options dialog to clear that particular directory (best to close any open solutions and files before pressing that button). Pressing "Rebuild" will clear the history directory in addition to the symbol databases but requires a restart.
sean Posted - Nov 08 2007 : 4:09:14 PM
No need to reinstall at this point - just press the Rebuild button on the Performance page of the VA options dialog. Then restart the IDE.

Does your solution use headers that are not part of the solution and that are also not in the system include path?
qdin Posted - Nov 08 2007 : 3:04:34 PM
To answer your questions:
1. NOt sure exactly, but one file alone had 250 instances, so I would say in the thousands.
Even scrolling windows explorer was sluggish. Since I cleared the history this morning,
I've built up 89 history files for 8 different files.
2. I do run more than one instance of the IDE at the same time.

And by the way, Auto Recovery is off.
Tried turning it on, and same thing happens.
Turned it off again, and same thing happens.

I was looking through the startup.log file, and I noticed I've been getting errors like the following,
for the past several days:
Local Settings\\Application Data\\VisualAssist\\vs8\\Cache\\Db0Idx.db is corrupt, fid=0xd70640.:51 11/2/2007 17:05:14
Local Settings\\Application Data\\VisualAssist\\vs8\\Cache\\Db3Idx.db is corrupt, fid=0xf5fc47.:51 11/2/2007 17:05:37
Local Settings\\Application Data\\VisualAssist\\vs8\\Cache\\Db3Ds.db is corrupt, fid=0xf8357, rel=0xb6, act=0x33e13 tid=2244

I'm going to try reinstalling VAX - any files I should save before I do so?

sean Posted - Nov 08 2007 : 2:18:09 PM
Unchecking "Enable Auto Recovery" on the Performance page of the VA options dialog should prevent the backups altogether.

Edit: in 1614, not sure if that is there in 1561
feline Posted - Nov 08 2007 : 2:05:18 PM
Approximately how many files did you have in the history directory? Do you remember?

Do you often run more than one instance of the same IDE at the same time?

Clearly the files were building up in this directory, but I am not sure why.

From memory if you delete the history directory, and replace it with a zero length read only file called "history" VA will silently fail to create these backup files, so you won't have the problem again. I half recall someone reporting this to the forum as a work around for a related problem, but off hand I cannot find the thread.

Currently my history directory has 720 files.

I have just deleted all of the files, then I ran the IDE and edited a file. VA wrote a backup of the file to the history directory. Further editing, it simply updated this backup.
Close the IDE, and the file in the history directory was deleted, which is what is supposed to happen.

Clearly something is causing the files to build up, but what?

I need to run some tests on this and try and find out where the files are coming from.
qdin Posted - Nov 08 2007 : 10:55:07 AM
I'm using VA_X.dll file version 10.3.1561.0 built 2007.09.13,
with VS2005, 8.0.50727.762.

I tried disabling intellisense, and the problem persists.

The history writing seems to be the most burdensome. In fact,
the delay seems to be proportional to the number of corresponding history files.
For one of my files there are about 250 copies in the history directory.

...*idea*...

I just cleared the history and the delay goes away.
Is there a way to limit the number of history files, or will it always grow without bound until cleared?

thanks,
Eric

feline Posted - Nov 07 2007 : 07:26:01 AM
Which IDE and version of VA are you using?
From the reference to VS8 I am guessing you are using VS2005

Can you try disabling the IDE's intellisense please, as described here, and see if this makes any difference:

http://docs.wholetomato.com?W133

The IDE's intellisense scanner is known to cause similar pauses when ever it decides to parse a lot of files.
qdin Posted - Nov 06 2007 : 7:20:47 PM
Did some research and found it writing a lot to, for example
AppData/VisualAssist/vs8/history/2371882705_042_<filename>.cpp,
as well as to a file called mod.dt (in various directories off of vs8).
Hope that helps narrow things down.

Cheers,
Eric

© 2023 Whole Tomato Software, LLC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000