Visual Assist
 Technical Support
 Rename not always enabled.

You must be registered to post a reply.
Click here to register.

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format: BoldItalicizeUnderlineStrikethrough Align leftCenterAlign right Insert horizontal ruleUpload and insert imageInsert hyperlinkInsert email addressInsert codeInsert quoted textInsert listInsert Emoji

Forum code is on.
Html is off.

Check to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
pgleske Posted - Nov 13 2007 : 11:59:09 AM
When I hover over a symbol then click on the "refactoring dropdown" I am now often seeing "refactoring not available on symbol". If I bring up the refactoring menu (shift-right-click/refactor/rename) the rename dialog is brought up.

-pkg

VA_X.dll file version 10.3.1561.0 built 2007.09.13
Licensed to:
VA X: [email protected] (15-user license) Support ends 2008.10.19
VAOpsWin.dll version 1.3.2.7
VATE.dll version 1.0.6.1
MSDev.exe version 6.0.9782.2
Devshl.dll version 6.0.9782.0
Devedit.pkg version 6.0.9782.0
Font: Courier -13(Pixels)
Comctl32.dll version 5.82.2900.2982
Windows XP 5.1 Build 2600 Service Pack 2
Single processor

Platform: Win32 (x86)
Stable Includes:
C:\\MSVS\\VC98\\INCLUDE;
C:\\MSVS\\VC98\\MFC\\INCLUDE;
C:\\MSVS\\VC98\\ATL\\INCLUDE;
C:\\PROGRAM FILES\\COMMON FILES\\SYSTEM\\ADO;

Library Includes:
C:\\MSVS\\VC98\\MFC\\SRC;
C:\\MSVS\\VC98\\MFC\\INCLUDE;
C:\\MSVS\\VC98\\ATL\\INCLUDE;
C:\\MSVS\\VC98\\CRT\\SRC;

Other Includes:

5   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
feline Posted - Nov 14 2007 : 07:51:10 AM
You could always just install the trial version of VA on their machines

I have found that explaining why you want to use VA can be surprisingly hard, but once people actually use it they work out why they want it quite quickly. Plus there is no reason why you should suffer on their machines
pgleske Posted - Nov 13 2007 : 2:49:35 PM
It seems that v10.4.1616 fixed things. Now when the project is loaded I get the refactoring menu drop down, as well as the Shift-Right-Click.

I tried the file standalone in VC6 (after upgrading) and that works as well.

Thanks for "fixing" things for me.

FWIW we tried one of the "free" downloads that MS offered for VS2005 that is supposed to do all this great refactoring stuff. It didn't work. This works great. I keep telling everyone. Surprisingly some don't bother to load VA. When I work with them (on their machine) it sure is frustrating.
feline Posted - Nov 13 2007 : 1:43:41 PM
That certainly seems to rule out a simple timing issue. Can you try upgrading to 1616 and see if this helps please:

http://forum.wholetomato.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=6925

If it does not help can you try reloading VC6, and loading the single file that this code comes from, and seeing if you still see the problem. I am wondering if the file on its own is enough, or if the entire workspace is required to reproduce the problem.

Having right clicked on a symbol, and been offered refactoring via the shift + right click menu, if you close this menu and simply hover the mouse over the symbol is refactoring now offered?
pgleske Posted - Nov 13 2007 : 1:23:04 PM
No. This occurs on several different names at "any" time. I even clicked on reparse for the file. I have waited for the status bar to be clear, compiled, checked after loading VC initially, etc. It seems to be consistent.

I have yet to isolate this to a specific type of symbol.

Here is a code snippet from a .CPP file:

HRESULT CAtlasDevice::PCPCShortInsertInMap( const wchar_t* BigJobName, const wchar_t* PathmapName, short SequenceNumber, const wchar_t* InsertName )
{
OMNILOG_METHOD(PCPCShortInsertInMap);

COMOBJ_CHECK_PTR( PathmapName );
COMOBJ_CHECK_PTR( InsertName );

HRESULT HR = S_OK;

If I hover over InsertName I get the refactoring not avail message. However, I did get it to work just once as I was testing things for this email, but now it fails. The refactoring menu does offer the rename however.

What can I do to help isolate this?

-pkg
feline Posted - Nov 13 2007 : 1:08:30 PM
This might be a timing issue. If you ask for the refactoring commands before VA has finished parsing the file and working out what options should be offered you will see this. You just need to give VA a couple of seconds to catch up.

Does this sound like what you are seeing? Or is the problem more general?

© 2023 Whole Tomato Software, LLC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000