Visual Assist
 Technical Support
 'Local symbols in bold' misbolds

You must be registered to post a reply.
Click here to register.

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format: BoldItalicizeUnderlineStrikethrough Align leftCenterAlign right Insert horizontal ruleUpload and insert imageInsert hyperlinkInsert email addressInsert codeInsert quoted textInsert listInsert Emoji

Forum code is on.
Html is off.

Check to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
jmihalicza Posted - Nov 22 2007 : 04:10:22 AM
It seems the bolding only does a simple pattern matching rather than a deeper semantic analysis to find the identifiers to bold.
Installing the newer version (thanks for the version check feature, that is cool) I tried to enable Max coloring options and faced the problem immediately.
It is a frequent case that the name of local symbols match the name of members in different structures.
I simplified the situation and made a test case:
void* x;
complex().x;
At least in cases where the type of the member is different the bold is definitely unwanted. I also would like members with the same name in other structures unbolded even if the type is the same, because of the primary purpose of the feature in my understanding.
I (would like to) use this feature to have a quick overview, to clearly see where the incoming parameters (and the local variables) are used. I would also like the possibility of visually differentiate these two kinds.

An other approach could say that same name suggests the same concept, and therefore should be highlighted to show the possible logical connection. I don't like this approach, because it is simply not useful, and can fail more times than to be worth using, relying on it.

Just checked the new features and found VA Outline. What an amazing stuff. How much I suffered of analyzing nested #if structures figuring out what happens. Great idea and it seems after 2-3 minutes that it will be my favorite view not only for preprocessing items but for general code structure. Again a very valuable addition.
1   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
feline Posted - Nov 22 2007 : 1:15:38 PM
The basic problem is that the colouring code has to run very fast, to keep up when you scroll. Also we are doing the colouring behind the IDE's back, which complicates matters a bit.

Still this is a problem if you have duplicate names like this:

case=10071

© 2023 Whole Tomato Software, LLC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000