Visual Assist
 Technical Support
 VA Find References suggestions

You must be registered to post a reply.
Click here to register.

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format: BoldItalicizeUnderlineStrikethrough Align leftCenterAlign right Insert horizontal ruleUpload and insert imageInsert hyperlinkInsert email addressInsert codeInsert quoted textInsert listInsert Emoji

Forum code is on.
Html is off.

Check to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Dans Posted - Nov 28 2007 : 05:39:09 AM
Hi,

There are few things in VA Find references that need to be improved:

• Dialog: "Please place the caret on a symbol before running Find". I placed carret on symbol, but i really don't know when VA can't find references. I propose to remove this message box. If VA can not recognize identifier - activate VA Find Results window and draw on results window message that selected identifier is invalid or propose to slect valid identifier.

• VA Find References Results window tootip: please hide tooltip on mouse click and reset show delay.

• I have VA Find Results window docked in Auto Hide mode (saving workspace). After invoking "Find references", result window automatically appear and covers about half of edit window. When i double click on found reference VA selects this reference in editor, but i can't see located reference because VA Results covers needful place in editor.
    I propose to calucate which part of edit window is not visible and change top/left line when locating found reference.
    This also can be done for all VA windows that locates something in editor.

Thanks,
Dans
7   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
support Posted - Apr 10 2008 : 01:22:54 AM
case=10226 is fixed in build 1632

This setting is controlled via the registry:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\\Software\\Whole Tomato\\Visual Assist X\\VANet8
[REG_BINARY] MessageBoxFailureNotifications = 1 (default - show message box)
Set to 0 to send messages to status bar instead

Replace "VANet8" with your IDE as appropriate.
sean Posted - Nov 29 2007 : 11:11:48 AM
Alt-X,T,F will also place focus in the results window.
But there are bindings for next and previous result - you don't need to activate the results window to navigate through the items. The bindings are different depending on IDE and keyboard scheme: http://www.wholetomato.com/products/features/findReferences.asp#navigation
feline Posted - Nov 29 2007 : 08:40:10 AM
I have put in a feature request to make the Find References error message less obtrusive:

case=10226

The tooltips in Find References Results, I am inclined to agree with your point, but I don't want to get into the situation of people asking for an option to control how long the tooltip takes to appear on mouse hover. Do you mainly navigate through the Find References Results window with the mouse or the keyboard?

Are you aware that if you bind a keyboard shortcut to the command VAssistX.FindReferencesResults VA remembers which item you last selected, so you can simply press Down or Up to move to the next or previous item?
Dans Posted - Nov 28 2007 : 3:35:33 PM
quote:
Originally posted by feline

You make a fair argument for both points. First the error message, I can see why you are getting it quite often. Since the error message appears with keyboard focus a single key press will dismiss it.

If Find References runs normally then keyboard focus is placed into Find References Results, so you still need to return focus to the editor to continue editing.

My concern is that putting the error message into the Find References Results does not actually help, since we are still interrupting your work flow, since we are still "taking" keyboard focus. Does this make sense?

I am wondering about your perspective on this.

I think best solution is show in bottom/right of the editor tooltip with error message (like Outlook swows that message arrived). Tooltip should dissapear on any key press, mouse click, switching task or after specified time. You can also provide fade hide - after showing tooltip decreases opacity until hint timeout (like in Outlook). If mouse hover over tooltip - transparency removed and hide timer reset.
This technique can be used for almost all errors and information messages that do not need interactive input.

quote:

The tooltip hover delay, where are you looking when you say this is standard? What you say makes sense, but I wonder about users who are moving the mouse over the result list in order to see the tooltips. They are likely to object to this delay, since it slows them down.

I tried hovering the mouse over Solution Explorer, when it is sized so that the file names do not fit, and I am seeing a similar behaviour. There is a delay for the first tooltip, but subsequent tooltips are fast.

You are right some controls has the same behaviour but it's some different tooltip types. I can't explain why it is better to hide tooltip on click, but for me it's intuitive for this giant hint
feline Posted - Nov 28 2007 : 1:53:39 PM
You make a fair argument for both points. First the error message, I can see why you are getting it quite often. Since the error message appears with keyboard focus a single key press will dismiss it.

If Find References runs normally then keyboard focus is placed into Find References Results, so you still need to return focus to the editor to continue editing.

My concern is that putting the error message into the Find References Results does not actually help, since we are still interrupting your work flow, since we are still "taking" keyboard focus. Does this make sense?

I am wondering about your perspective on this.

The tooltip hover delay, where are you looking when you say this is standard? What you say makes sense, but I wonder about users who are moving the mouse over the result list in order to see the tooltips. They are likely to object to this delay, since it slows them down.

I tried hovering the mouse over Solution Explorer, when it is sized so that the file names do not fit, and I am seeing a similar behaviour. There is a delay for the first tooltip, but subsequent tooltips are fast.
Dans Posted - Nov 28 2007 : 11:46:11 AM
quote:
Originally posted by feline

Find References should be available on any symbol that is not a comment or keyword. So it is available of variables, functions, classes, structures, enum's and #defines.

I know this but error dialog appear when VA currently not parsed file or tehere is uncompilable code. It's very often situation. Please replace dialog with message beep or error text in Find References Result window. It's annoying to close message box every time.

quote:

Are you aware you can hide the tooltip in the Find References Results window?

http://docs.wholetomato.com?W370

I like this tooltip, but after mouse click you should hide tooltip and reset show timer (it's standard behaviour). Tooltip is very big and there is no many ways how to hide it :)

quote:

Scrolling the code to make the line jumped to visible is a very sensible idea, I have put in a feature request for this:

case=10200

Great! :)
feline Posted - Nov 28 2007 : 09:54:45 AM
Find References should be available on any symbol that is not a comment or keyword. So it is available of variables, functions, classes, structures, enum's and #defines.

Are you aware you can hide the tooltip in the Find References Results window?

http://docs.wholetomato.com?W370

Scrolling the code to make the line jumped to visible is a very sensible idea, I have put in a feature request for this:

case=10200

© 2023 Whole Tomato Software, LLC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000