Visual Assist
 Technical Support
 Auto-complete happening inside comments

You must be registered to post a reply.
Click here to register.

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format: BoldItalicizeUnderlineStrikethrough Align leftCenterAlign right Insert horizontal ruleUpload and insert imageInsert hyperlinkInsert email addressInsert codeInsert quoted textInsert listInsert Emoji

Forum code is on.
Html is off.

Check to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
dlpadi Posted - Dec 10 2007 : 8:27:31 PM
I'm finding that VA is now trying to auto-complete inside my comments. This is unspeakably annoying. :) It doesn't actually cause comment damage while I'm typing, because I have everything but Enter turned off for listbox selection, but if it happens to do it at the end of a line, it of course replaces whatever I was typing with its (wrong) text pulled from elsewhere.

The text that is suggested seems to be a motley mix of English words with and without punctuation and occasionally some code identifiers. (Maybe the words just happen to match up to code identifiers elsewhere?)

It happens in both /* comments */ and // comments. If I disable VA then it stops happening.

This is in VA 1624 (I tried upgrading to the RC to see if it went away, but it was in the last general release also), with Visual Studio Team Edition 2k5. I got my boss to renew the support so I could update to the latest VA to fix some other issues (which thankfully were :)) but unfortunately this seems to be a new one that's popped up. It was definitely not in the old version pre-renewal (May 24th I think?), and I want to say that it was not in the previous general release either, but I'm not 100% sure.

Thanks!
6   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
dlpadi Posted - Apr 10 2008 : 1:52:33 PM
Thanks for the notification! I'll check that out.
support Posted - Apr 10 2008 : 01:26:08 AM
case=10480 is fixed in build 1632
feline Posted - Dec 12 2007 : 3:19:54 PM
Since turning this on fixes the problem then the test case I have - another user submitted one - looks like it is reproducing your problem with comment suggestions. Thank you for the confirmation.
dlpadi Posted - Dec 12 2007 : 2:54:34 PM
Thank you, turning on repair case did make it go away. I haven't noticed any other real changes by turning that on, so apparently it's not something that bothers me anyway. :) I think I'm used to typing things in lower case and hitting enter on the intellisense that pops up.

I don't have a good short reproduction example for you, and unfortunately like some of the other posters here our codebase is massive (around 500 SLNs last I checked, full of C++, C#, and C++/CLI). If I come up with one I'll post back here though.
feline Posted - Dec 11 2007 : 3:15:37 PM
case=10480

For now can you turn On:

VA Options -> Advanced -> Correction -> repair case

For me the problem only happens when this is turned off.
feline Posted - Dec 11 2007 : 07:13:00 AM
We have a few other users reporting this, but so far I have been unable to reproduce the problem.

This problem was supposed to have been fixed a few builds ago, but obviously was not fully fixed.

How easily can you reproduce this problem?
Can you reproduce this in a new default project?
Does it seem to be file specific?

© 2023 Whole Tomato Software, LLC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000