Visual Assist
 Technical Support
 External header files and dropdowns

You must be registered to post a reply.
Click here to register.

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format: BoldItalicizeUnderlineStrikethrough Align leftCenterAlign right Insert horizontal ruleUpload and insert imageInsert hyperlinkInsert email addressInsert codeInsert quoted textInsert listInsert Emoji

Forum code is on.
Html is off.

Check to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
beylevem Posted - Dec 11 2007 : 09:50:52 AM
Is there any way to suppress items from external header files (particularly windows) from appearing in dropdown lists? I only use my own project classes/data, but I have to include windows headers to get COM support.
14   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
beylevem Posted - Feb 18 2009 : 09:35:22 AM
Thank-you for the explanation. I'll wait (im)patiently for case 10535
feline Posted - Feb 18 2009 : 09:29:59 AM
This is by design. There are times when producing the CTRL-SPACE list can be very slow, so we do not try to do this every time you type a character. The classic slow case is typing :: to access global scope.

Even without VA enabled you cannot get a CTRL-SPACE list every time you type a character.

This is one reason for turning on VA suggestion listboxes, so that you get more help while typing. I know they are not always accurate, but I find them vastly more useful than nothing. Also with Acronyms and Shorthand turned on I can often get the suggestion list to suggest the right thing by typing a couple of extra characters.

beylevem Posted - Feb 17 2009 : 11:55:50 AM
C++. I don't have "Get content from default intellisense" enabled (I don't have intellisense enabled). It would appear that VA is supplying the content when I hit ctrl+space, but that I have no way of causing this to happen when I start typing instead of getting suggestions.
feline Posted - Feb 17 2009 : 10:56:27 AM
Which language are you working in? There is the IDE option:

IDE tools menu -> Options -> Text Editor -> C# -> IntelliSense -> Show completion list after a character is typed

off hand I don't think you can do this automatically in C++ or VB.
beylevem Posted - Feb 17 2009 : 10:43:54 AM
Yes, I am looking at a suggestion listbox. Your observation "Sometimes they are brilliant, and sometimes they are a bit random feeling" is exactly right.

If I hit ctrl+space, the method that I need tops the list. I tried turning off suggestions, but then I get nothing offered until I hit ctrl+space. Is there any way to get the context-sensitive list to appear automatically? I notice that it does appear automatically after typing a . or ->
feline Posted - Feb 17 2009 : 10:23:20 AM
Are you looking at a suggestion listbox? It should have an "A" icon under the bottom left hand corner if you are.

In a suggestion listbox you are seeing VA's guess's. This is not supposed to be limited to class members, it is simply supposed to include bits of code you might be trying to type, based on what you have typed recently.

Sometimes they are brilliant, and sometimes they are a bit random feeling
beylevem Posted - Feb 16 2009 : 12:49:22 PM
To re-open this topic.

I was typing in a member function of a class

bool Node::PrepareToSolve() {
Se

And I get suggestions

SimObject
sRunMixer

None of the suggestions start with Se. I then type one more character

bool Node::PrepareToSolve() {
Set

and I get suggestions

SetAbortProc
SetAclInformation
SetupNozzleK

A total of seven items, with SetAbortProc being highlighted. The item I actually want is SetupNozzleK, since it is the only item out of the seven which refers to another member function of the class. Two questions:

1) Why does SetupNozzleK not even show in the list until I type the third character?

2) Why, at a minimum, is it not the highlighted item, since it is the "closest" match?
feline Posted - Dec 13 2007 : 08:28:54 AM
Now I understand what is going on here this sounds very sensible I have put in a feature request for this:

case=10535
accord Posted - Dec 12 2007 : 5:30:53 PM
quote:

Personally I have found suggestions to be quite accurate / helpful.

Yes, I agree. Very helpful. But with beylevem's 4 level priority system it would be even more helpful and accurate
beylevem Posted - Dec 12 2007 : 3:55:27 PM
I have Listboxes - shrink where possible, but no allow acronyms (partly to try to reduce the clutter), suggestions enabled, include code from surrounding lines enabled, autotext enabled.

My problem is that my inline function LowLimit is defined in a separate header file, so I get the same behavior as you, except that LoadAccelerators, not LowLimit, is the default suggestion. To get to LowLimit, I must either (1) type a w, (2) scroll to the bottom of the list, or (3) use the mouse.

Options 2 or 3 don't save time, and option 1 works only if one or two more characters are enough to eliminate the fluff.

Also, when I have a lot of class methods with the same prefix, e.g.

DerCompFilter()
DerCompFilter_V()
DerCompFilterSV()

and I type De

I get suggestions like DeleteAggregatedVar, with DerCompFilt being the suggested item, and it is not until I type the 'r' that the list revises to give me all of the family of methods.
feline Posted - Dec 12 2007 : 3:16:05 PM
Do either of you have:

VA Options -> Advanced -> Suggestions -> Include bits of code from surrounding lines

turned on? Or is it turned off?

I have just added the following, very basic, test code to a file.

static void LowLimitTestSuggestion()	{ }

static void testTypingLoSuggestion()
{
	|
}

When I type "Lo" at this point I am seeing:

While the suggestion list does contaol LoadAccelerators it is not the default suggestion. Is this test similar to the sorts of things you are seeing?

Personally I have found suggestions to be quite accurate / helpful. Some of the things that come up are of no interest, but I ignore those and focus on what I want.
accord Posted - Dec 12 2007 : 11:40:50 AM
I have also thinked about some kind of priority stuff for suggestions. Local and Class member variables and functions is allways more important then other suggestions.

For example, when I am in a class's function, even a shorthand or acronym suggestion from the current class is way more important for me, than some included define stuff.

It is very annoying, when (for example) a variable defined outside my project has more priority then my class member's acronym.
beylevem Posted - Dec 12 2007 : 08:35:57 AM
I have an inline function LowLimit. When I type Lo, I get as suggestions

LoadAccelerators
LoadBitmap

or, I have a local variable target. I type ta and get

tagCY
tagDEC
tagDISPPARAMS

What I would really like is for the suggestions to have a hierarchy:
* local variables
* class variables
* variables in files which are explicitly loaded in the project
* variables in files that are defined in "external" header files
feline Posted - Dec 12 2007 : 07:20:06 AM
What sort of lists are you talking about?
Listboxes when you type #include lines?
Listboxes when you type :: to access the global namespace?

Member listboxes should only list the members of the current type, while suggestions are normally related to the current code you are working on, as VA tries to guess what words you are typing.

© 2023 Whole Tomato Software, LLC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000