Visual Assist
 Technical Support
 RETCODE instead of return

You must be registered to post a reply.
Click here to register.

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format: BoldItalicizeUnderlineStrikethrough Align leftCenterAlign right Insert horizontal ruleUpload and insert imageInsert hyperlinkInsert email addressInsert codeInsert quoted textInsert listInsert Emoji

Forum code is on.
Html is off.

Check to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
hensz Posted - Dec 11 2007 : 11:00:49 AM
Hi!

I'm using the latest version of VA (10.4) and a new "feature" of the VA suggestions is annoying me . When I type 'return' the word RETCODE is always suggested, until I type the 'u' of return. This is very annoying, since I've never used RETCODE in my code. Is there a way to disable this suggestion?

Best regards,
Torsten
11   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
support Posted - Apr 10 2008 : 12:46:14 AM
Getting "RETCODE" when you want "return" is case=11277

case=11277 is fixed in build 1632
accord Posted - Dec 19 2007 : 4:24:37 PM
quote:
Originally posted by hensz
In my version this snippet already existed. But nevertheless RETCODE is prefered when I enter 're'.

The snippet I mentioned will have top priority only if you type exactly "r".
If you type "re", your "r" snippet will not help. In this case you will need a "re" snippet also.
feline Posted - Dec 19 2007 : 09:09:33 AM
VA Snippets are designed to be case sensitive and have top priority. For me this is how they work.

Which IDE and version of VA are you using?

Can you please export your VA and IDE settings and send them to me:

VA Options -> Performance -> Export Settings
IDE tools menu -> Import and Export Settings -> Export selected environment settings (VS2005)

along with your VA snippets files please. If you are using winXP these will be stored in the directory:

C:\\Documents and Settings\\ <USERNAME> \\Application Data\\VisualAssist\\Autotext\
I can then use your settings and snippet files, and see what happens on my system.
hensz Posted - Dec 19 2007 : 07:49:38 AM
quote:
If I know correctly VA Snippets have the highest priority.

Sadly this is not true...

quote:
So if you put
shortcut: r
description: return
...into "VA Snippet Editor"
return will always have the highest priority.

In my version this snippet already existed. But nevertheless RETCODE is prefered when I enter 're'. And I haven't added the snippet for 'return' manually, so it's part of the VA default settings.
accord Posted - Dec 19 2007 : 07:40:26 AM
If I know correctly VA Snippets has the highest priority. So if you put
shortcut: r
description: return
...into "VA Snippet Editor" (located at VAssistX/Visual Assist X Options.../Advanced/Suggestions/Edit VA Snippets)
return will always the highest priority suggestion. If I know correctly VA Snippets have not got this entry by default.
I have this entry, and I am happy with it.
hensz Posted - Dec 19 2007 : 02:50:47 AM
Ok, I understand that many options are hard to maintain.

The case sensitive code snippets for 'false' and 'FALSE' are quite useless, since VA doesn't use them case sensitive. When I press 'f' "FALSE" is suggested by default. So I always must select the other "false" from the list - at least in some cases. And since VA doesn't always behave identically I always must hesitate and check what I coded to be sure...
feline Posted - Dec 18 2007 : 12:20:31 PM
We try to avoid adding to many options to VA, they can be very difficult to maintain, due to all the sneaking around behind the IDE we have to do.

For the cases "return" "false" and "FALSE" I would suggest adding VA Snippets. In fact we ship case sensitive snippets for both "false" and "FALSE" by default.
hensz Posted - Dec 18 2007 : 08:59:20 AM
quote:
What is the default / selected suggestion for you? "return" or "RETCODE"?

When I type 're' I want "return". I never want "RETCODE", even if I accidentally write 'RET', but this is only because I never write "RETCODE" at all.

Perhaps you can make case-sensitivity for suggestions optionally? I would use this option (this would help me to distinguish "false" from "FALSE", too), you would not use it, everyone is happy .
feline Posted - Dec 17 2007 : 07:47:50 AM
Matching case comes up periodically. A lot of people, me included, prefer to type in lower case and rely on VA suggesting upper case items. One approach is to view lower case letters as case insensitive but Upper case letters as case sensitive:

case=119

Of course this is the opposite of what you are asking for here.

Comparing VA 1561 and VA 1624 I am seeing more suggestions when typing "ret" in 1624, but "return" is still the default suggestion for me.

What is the default / selected suggestion for you? "return" or "RETCODE"?
hensz Posted - Dec 17 2007 : 05:58:21 AM
The second suggestion works fine as a workaround. btw. there is already a Snippet for 'return' with the shortcut 'r'. But I don't understand why the uppercase 'RETCODE' is preferred to the lowercase 'return' when I start writing lowercase. I don't care if 'RETCODE' is displayed in the list of suggestions, but the item selected by default should be the most obvious one, the best matching one, and that is 'return'.

If there is no more generic solution I insist on a "bugfix" in VA , because this issue didn't appear in older versions of VA. A generic solution would be an option like "Prefer suggestions with matching case".

Best regards,
Torsten
feline Posted - Dec 12 2007 : 07:25:38 AM
Turning off:

VA Options -> Advanced -> Suggestions -> Include suggestions in listboxes

will stop suggestions appearing, but this will stop all suggestions.

A better approach might be to add a Snippet for "return", perhaps with the shortcut "re" or "ret".

http://www.wholetomato.com/products/features/vasnippets.asp

© 2023 Whole Tomato Software, LLC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000