Visual Assist
 Technical Support
 Issues!

You must be registered to post a reply.
Click here to register.

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format: BoldItalicizeUnderlineStrikethrough Align leftCenterAlign right Insert horizontal ruleUpload and insert imageInsert hyperlinkInsert email addressInsert codeInsert quoted textInsert listInsert Emoji

Forum code is on.
Html is off.

Check to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
awbacker Posted - Jan 02 2008 : 4:25:41 PM
I just installed VAX, and I have run into a few issues. Here they are, in no particular order.

1) Can not disable plugin through add-in manager. Always re-enables itself!

2) Frequent crashes of VS on closing now, that did not happen before.

3) Mangled font handling with background colors. It appears as if the whole screen is being re-drawn, and sometimes it really messes up.

For instance, I have a dark background, it paints all the symbols it is redrawing (identifiers, classes, etc) with a white-ish background. This happens when I have "enhance syntax colors" both on AND off. The font color is not changed, but you are still changing the *background* color. Arg! Other times it has appeard to overwrite everything with a white background, but I can't get it to do it again. It is hard to isolate, since I can't disable it.

At this point it just started doing colors correctly, but I can't tell why. I re-imported (4th or 5th time) the color scheme. After restarting, however, it decided to get the "default" color for the background again, which is actually green for me. What up! When I reverted all the VS.Net settings, it decided to start drawing again in the old scheme. :'(

Forum issues:
4) Is there *any* reason why I can not use the "banned" characters in my password? ANY?! I do hope you are encrypting it, and any encryption would make any limitations irrelevant. Not that there is even a reason why they can't be stored in the database. C'mon, yer programmers, right?

This looks like a promising product, but I haven't really had a chance to test it yet as I have been trying to fix it.
6   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
support Posted - Apr 10 2008 : 12:50:29 AM
case=4475 is fixed in build 1632
case=11160 is fixed in build 1632
feline Posted - Jan 07 2008 : 09:58:38 AM
I guessed VB myself, but it is good to be sure. I have been wrong about the programming language people are using before.

Assuming this is VB, the unexpected semi-colons are:

case=4475

and the start of the C style comment is:

case=11160

This only happens if the variable is given an initial / default value.

Mike VB refactoring is a known weak area. We are working on VB support, but it is competing for resorces with all of the other outstanding bugs.
Mike ONeill Posted - Jan 07 2008 : 12:17:46 AM
Hi

Looks like VB, I raised this issue MONTHS back that refactoring in VB was a bit doubtful , and I was given and Issue No , which typically I have now deleted.

I have since moved to C# for 90% of my work so its no longer a problem . But the hashed up code you show is typical of the bug I reported

Cheers

Mike
feline Posted - Jan 03 2008 : 2:05:45 PM
Point 1, see this FAQ entry. This is actually a design decision by Microsoft, and totally out of our hands:

http://docs.wholetomato.com?W306

Point 2, this should not happen. Do you have any other plugin's installed?
Which IDE and version of VA are you using?

Point 3, have you changed your background colour?
If so is this a global change (effecting all programs) or have you only done this to the background of the text editor in the IDE?
I have done both, and it is fairly easy to get this working, if you know how.

Point 4, we did not write the forum software, we are simply using it. It is a fairly basic forum, but it works reliably, which is the important thing. Most of our users would prefer we improved VA rather than playing with the forum

Point 5, which programming language are you working in?
accord Posted - Jan 03 2008 : 04:35:43 AM
>Honestly, the refactorings could go.
I am understand that you are angry, but VAX is a great help in refactoring if someone is using C++. I have tried the new R! Pro 3.05 released at Dec 27 and it can mess up the most simple refactorings in C++. VAX is the only reliable refactoring tool for C++.
awbacker Posted - Jan 02 2008 : 6:36:16 PM
Figured out a little. You appear to overwrite the "Identifier" color with "white" if it is set on automatic. If I set it to a custom color then you respect that color (all VX handled areas are drawn with it), but the rest of the editor is still drawn white.

The refactorings are also a bit off. I get code like this when I encapsulate a field. "Property" is appended to the property, which is way odd, and the code doesn't combpile becaose of some wierd C# comments and semi-colons.

Private Shared _lastFromDate As DateTime = Nothing
	Public Property LastFromDateProperty() As DateTime /*= Nothing;
        Get
            Return _lastFromDate
        End Get
		Set (ByVal value As DateTime /*= Nothing;)
            _lastFromDate = value
        End Set
    End Property

So far the refactorings haven't really been useful, since vs2005 has a rename, and it keeps wanting to let me "add a similar function" which I don't need to do, and the change-signature is not really useful either. Both R# and R!Pro handle this.

Honestly, the refactorings could go. I need this for code navigation and coloring of locals/classes/etc. Any code navigation + intelligence features are great to have.

© 2023 Whole Tomato Software, LLC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000