Visual Assist
 Technical Support
 Alt+G and virtual classes

You must be registered to post a reply.
Click here to register.

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format: BoldItalicizeUnderlineStrikethrough Align leftCenterAlign right Insert horizontal ruleUpload and insert imageInsert hyperlinkInsert email addressInsert codeInsert quoted textInsert listInsert Emoji

Forum code is on.
Html is off.

Check to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
dreijer Posted - Jan 03 2008 : 06:43:18 AM
Just a quick question regarding the (mostly) awesome Alt+G feature:
Say I have a C++ base class and a derived class that overrides one of the base class's methods. I then instantiate an object of the derived class and store it in a pointer to the base class, e.g.:

Bar someBar;
Foo* pFoo = &someBar; // Bar is derived from Foo

Now, say I call the overridden method. If I use the Alt+G feature of VAX on the method call it takes me straight to the base class. Most often, this is NOT what I want since base classes are either abstract or only contain little of the actual implementation. If I use the built-in VS2008 IntelliSense on the overridden method, I get a list of classes that override the method and I can therefore select which one I want. Why don't VAX?

Thanks for a great product. I'm addicted!
8   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
AstaDan Posted - Sep 10 2009 : 09:46:20 AM
I'll give that a try, thanks.
feline Posted - Sep 10 2009 : 09:44:31 AM
For now you might find the Hovering Class Browser, the bottom part of VA View helpful:

http://www.wholetomato.com/products/features/hcb.asp

since this will show you a class and its base classes, allowing you to look for and jump to the desired form of the virtual function.
AstaDan Posted - Sep 10 2009 : 09:33:29 AM
I too could really use this functionality. I keep having to resort to attempting to use Microsoft's intellisense to go to the definitions of virtual functions.
dreijer Posted - Jan 06 2008 : 1:09:31 PM
Yeah, that's exactly what I was looking for. Cheers!
feline Posted - Jan 04 2008 : 12:20:49 PM
We are considering something like this, perhaps done via a form of Find References. For a larger class hierarchy there may be several implementations of a given virtual function, in different derived classes:

case=6647
willdean Posted - Jan 04 2008 : 05:30:31 AM

Can I add a vote for something in this area, too, though I'm not exactly sure what. As the OP says, the base-class is rarely the place I want to go, and a list of derived-class candidates would be more useful.
dreijer Posted - Jan 03 2008 : 3:53:54 PM
quote:
Originally posted by feline

Are you calling the method on a variable of the base class type? Or are you calling it on a variable of the derived class type?

Yes, I am calling the method on a variable of the base class type. I am fully aware that you cannot deduce the actual type of the pointer at compile-time; what I was merely hinting was that instead of just assuming that I'm interested in the base class (which I rarely am), I should instead be presented with a list of possible classes that implement the base class's methods. I guess I could just use the built-in Go To Definition feature of Visual Studio for now, it's just that I've gotten so used to using Alt+G that I keep forgetting that VAX just blindly jumps to the base class.
feline Posted - Jan 03 2008 : 2:08:18 PM
Are you calling the method on a variable of the base class type? Or are you calling it on a variable of the derived class type?

In general, without actually compiling and running the program, there is no way to work out what type a pointer to the base class type is actually holding. To a fair degree this is actually the point of virtual methods

© 2023 Whole Tomato Software, LLC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000