Visual Assist
 Technical Support
 non project files

You must be registered to post a reply.
Click here to register.

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format: BoldItalicizeUnderlineStrikethrough Align leftCenterAlign right Insert horizontal ruleUpload and insert imageInsert hyperlinkInsert email addressInsert codeInsert quoted textInsert listInsert Emoji

Forum code is on.
Html is off.

Check to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
eve Posted - Jan 03 2008 : 11:33:48 AM
Hi,

I have the problem that VAX handles files that are not part of my project. This happens in two cases:

1. when a random cpp file is opened: suddenly VAX will know all symbols in this file. This is not really a big problem, just a bit annoying.

2. For some reason our build system copies some files to a directory in the parent directory of the solution. These copies are not part of the solution, although you can see them in the solution explorer, but they will have a minus symbol as overlay icon.
Sometimes, but not always, VAX will also open these files, for example when doing a goto definition. This is quite dangerous because suddenly we are working on the copy of our files, which will be overwritten by the build system.

Is there any way to tell VAX to ignore files from outside the project completely?

thanks,
eli

---

some details:
VA_X.dll file version 10.4.1623.0 built 2007.12.04
Licensed to:
VA X: xxx (25-user license) Support ends 2008.09.14
DevEnv.exe version 8.0.50727.762
msenv.dll version 8.0.50727.762
Font: Courier New 17(Pixels)
Comctl32.dll version 6.0.2900.2982
Windows XP 5.1 Build 2600 Service Pack 2
2 processors

latform: Win32
7   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
feline Posted - Jan 07 2008 : 08:44:28 AM
If you can figure out why these files are being opened that should be helpful.
eve Posted - Jan 07 2008 : 02:00:44 AM
I try to avoid opening these files at all time, and I am not sure that VAX is the one that opens the files for the first time. If I can reproduce this, I will certainly let you know.

I do not think that I will disable the setting that you mention, because it is very handy that VAX automatically reparses after for example and 'svn update'. Thanks for the hint though.

eli
feline Posted - Jan 04 2008 : 12:15:39 PM
I have never really looked at those buttons on Solution Explorer, learn something new every day

eve the feature request to ignore files in a specific directory tree is:

case=8814

Your comment:

>> I does not really bother me that the files are in the process explorer, but the fact that VAX sometimes suggests them makes it annoying.

VA should only suggested them after you have actually opened the files. Until you open then VA should not know anything about these files. Is this what you are seeing? Or does VA seem to be parsing these "temporary" files even though you do not open them?

You might find turning off:

VA Options -> Performance -> watch for externally modified files and reparse when necessary

helps with this problem, if VA is detecting the files even though you have not opened them.
eve Posted - Jan 04 2008 : 02:00:39 AM
That is indeed what I do, if not then using the project explorer might hang the IDE.
accord Posted - Jan 04 2008 : 01:59:03 AM
Feline: if you click to the second icon of VS2005/2008's solution explorer (with "show all files" tooltip) it will show all files in the directory, even if they are not part of the project. (By right clicking on them, you can use "Include In Project" or "Exclude From Project")
eve Posted - Jan 04 2008 : 01:18:10 AM
That option is not enabled.
I does not really bother me that the files are in the process explorer, but the fact that VAX sometimes suggests them makes it annoying.

Note that these files are in a subdir of my main project directory, so maybe ignoring files in a certain directory tree might still help.

thanks for the reply,
eli
feline Posted - Jan 03 2008 : 2:27:27 PM
Not currently. VA is designed to remember files you open, so that it can help you with them.

We are considering an option to tell VA to ignore files in certain directory tree's, but since these copied files actually live inside your main directory that will not help.

I am puzzled by the copied files showing up in Solution Explorer. Do you have:

"Show Miscellaneous files in Solution Explorer" in Tools|Options|Environment|Documents.

turned on? Off hand this is the only reason I know for files that are not part of the solution to show up in solution explorer. If so turning it off might help.

© 2023 Whole Tomato Software, LLC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000