Visual Assist
 Technical Support
 Automatic update stomps old license.

You must be registered to post a reply.
Click here to register.

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format: BoldItalicizeUnderlineStrikethrough Align leftCenterAlign right Insert horizontal ruleUpload and insert imageInsert hyperlinkInsert email addressInsert codeInsert quoted textInsert listInsert Emoji

Forum code is on.
Html is off.

Check to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
meissnersd Posted - Jan 06 2008 : 3:50:13 PM
First let me say that I really like Visual Assist X.
Which is why I purchased it last year.

But it just did something which is REALLY annoying. When I installed it, I just installed it with all the defaults which I guess includes automatic updates. It just updated (with out asking...automatically), and since my license was expired it put me into trial mode which results in it getting turned off after 6 days if I don't renew it.

The terms of the license is that the install is "perpetual" but that new updates require a license renewal. Fine. Makes sense. But once your license expires, the automatic update should just Stop. Automatic update should **NOT* go and stomp your current install into the trial mode and force a renewal. That is not what "perpetual" means.
Like I said, really, really annoying.

That being said I did renew because I like the tool. But please just fix it so it doesn't stomp my licensed copy.
Thanks.
Karl

4   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
meissnersd Posted - Jan 08 2008 : 09:23:18 AM
Twilight Zone behavior then....
I had not downloaded anything manually, which is why I thought it had done it on its own...

feline Posted - Jan 07 2008 : 2:05:57 PM
I have never seen VA update its self automatically. Do you remember downloading and installing a newer version?

The installer does not actually check your license key end date when it installs, this is only checked at run time.
meissnersd Posted - Jan 07 2008 : 12:48:52 PM
I just fired up VS2008 and it started demanding the license key.
Then I noticed that a new version was out. It was fine the night before and since I got no update dialog, I assumed it was the automatic.
feline Posted - Jan 07 2008 : 08:36:36 AM
I have just installed VA 1618 onto a test machine, and when I told VA to check for a new build it told me a new build was available. When I clicked the OK button for more details I was taken to a web page with the information:

You are currently using build 1618, which is not the latest build.

Visual Assist X 10.4.1624 (General release - included in your software maintenance.)

At this point I have to manually download and install this new build. Notice that the web page knows that my current license key covers this new build. Changing the date encoded in the web page URL to 23rd November 2007 I am getting the message:

Visual Assist X 10.4.1624 (General release - requires maintenance renewal purchase.)
Note: your software maintenance expired 2007.11.23. If you choose to install build 1624 without first purchasing a maintenance renewal, it will run in trial mode for 3 days.

How similar is this to what you saw? I am not seeing any form of automatic upgrade, and for me the process is making the state of my current license key quite clear.

© 2023 Whole Tomato Software, LLC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000