Visual Assist
 Technical Support
 Performance issue w/ boost typetraits

You must be registered to post a reply.
Click here to register.

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format: BoldItalicizeUnderlineStrikethrough Align leftCenterAlign right Insert horizontal ruleUpload and insert imageInsert hyperlinkInsert email addressInsert codeInsert quoted textInsert listInsert Emoji

Forum code is on.
Html is off.

Check to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
cbranch Posted - Feb 12 2008 : 1:17:29 PM
I'm using 1626 w/ VS2003.

I'm using boost 1.34.1
The problem that I see is with the type traits library which provides type information about template arguments.

Example:
boost::is_pointer<T>::value
or
boost::remove_reference<T>::type

Unfortunately with visual assist enabled, it freezes for about 5 seconds on my workstation when it hits the second double colon (each and every time too). It does however appear to come up with the valid values.

Boost is certainly doing some funky stuff w/ macros and template code, so it easily could be a worse case scenario for Visual Assist. I'd love this issue fixed, and improving the performance here might increase performance across the board if the fix is generic.
5   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
feline Posted - Feb 18 2008 : 08:09:16 AM
Since you are using 2003 you might be better off trying a zero length read only NCB file instead, as described here:

http://docs.wholetomato.com?W133
znakeeye Posted - Feb 18 2008 : 03:05:06 AM
Sure sounds like an IntelliSense problem to me. Try renaming feacp.dll in the VS directory and see if the error persists. Note that all IntelliSense features will be disabled.

I know this helped for me and I'm using boost in all my projects :).
feline Posted - Feb 15 2008 : 8:51:36 PM
I have just tested this in VS2003, and I am not seeing any problems there either. I have tried both Boost 1.33.1 and 1.34.1, with VA 1626.

Do you have:

VA Options -> Advanced -> Listboxes -> Get content from default Intellisense

turned on or off? It is off in my tests.

Can you please go to:

VA Options -> System Info -> Copy Info

and paste the details (from the clipboard) into this thread. This will give us the basic information about your setup. It is possible how you are telling VA about boost is a factor.
cbranch Posted - Feb 15 2008 : 12:03:45 PM
Well I can tell you it's not causing a CPU spike, but it does take a long time. Could be a VS2003 issue. I tried your exact code and both value and type take between 3-5s to pop up, during that time the entire IDE is locked.

feline Posted - Feb 12 2008 : 5:16:31 PM
What exactly are you typing?

I have never used this boost library, so I have simply added:

#include <boost/type_traits/is_pointer.hpp>

static void testIsPointerAndOther()
{
	boost::is_pointer<T>::value;
	boost::remove_reference<T>::type;
}

to a cpp file, using VS2005 and VA 1626. I have tried this with boost 1.33.1 and 1.34.1

"remove_reference" is not suggested with 1.33.1, but I am not seeing any CPU spikes or slow downs with either version of boost. I have tried this on two different machines.

When I type the second double colon a listbox appears without delay.

© 2023 Whole Tomato Software, LLC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000