Visual Assist
 Technical Support
 LINQ coloring and incorrect error message from VA

You must be registered to post a reply.
Click here to register.

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format: BoldItalicizeUnderlineStrikethrough Align leftCenterAlign right Insert horizontal ruleUpload and insert imageInsert hyperlinkInsert email addressInsert codeInsert quoted textInsert listInsert Emoji

Forum code is on.
Html is off.

Check to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
brian_winfield Posted - Mar 18 2008 : 7:06:52 PM
When using a linq query the coloring is not consistent for the variables. Also I'm getting a bad error message when I use a string in the where clause

public static void Test()
{

List<string> values = new List<string>();

var query = from c in values
where c.Contains("foobar")
select c;

}

In this example the foobar string is underlined and first variable (c) is colored as a type.

C#
VS 2008
VA 1626
5   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
feline Posted - Mar 21 2008 : 6:23:41 PM
Assuming you used this form:

http://www.wholetomato.com/support/contact.asp

Did you send the email to tech support or sales?

I am not seeing any sign of the email in tech support on a quick scan of our system. Did you get an automated reply, giving you a bug number?

case=14904 covers "c" having the wrong colour.
brian_winfield Posted - Mar 21 2008 : 3:11:04 PM
quote:
Originally posted by feline

I am seeing the same effect with the colouring here. The compiling problem turned out to be a missing using statement, which was hidden by some C++ errors caused by a missing setting for finding boost *sigh* The joys of working across multiple test systems:

case=14904

I still have no idea about this error message though, since I am not seeing any error messages. What triggers it? Are you able to post a screen shot of what you are seeing?

I sent an email to support on the 18th with a screenshot. I'll resend it. The error message from VA was on the misspelling. (which worked correctly) The only other problem I see is the mis-coloring of the "c" variable
feline Posted - Mar 21 2008 : 2:23:04 PM
I am seeing the same effect with the colouring here. The compiling problem turned out to be a missing using statement, which was hidden by some C++ errors caused by a missing setting for finding boost *sigh* The joys of working across multiple test systems:

case=14904

I still have no idea about this error message though, since I am not seeing any error messages. What triggers it? Are you able to post a screen shot of what you are seeing?
brian_winfield Posted - Mar 20 2008 : 9:15:27 PM
quote:

"foobar" is underlined for me as a spelling error, since it is not in VA's dictionary of valid English words. You could turn off:

VA Options -> Advanced -> Underlines -> Underline spelling errors in comments and strings using

to stop this being underlined. This has nothing to do with LINQ, and is simply the spelling check on strings and comments at work.

You're right on this. I didn't think about the spelling.

quote:

What error message are you talking about? I have added this code to a C# file in VS2008, and it does not compile. I am not seeing any error messages until I try to compile the code. When I compile, the error is from the compiler its self, and nothing to do with VA.

I am seeing the same colouring on the first "c", but since the code does not compile I am not sure if this is because VA is confused or because the code is invalid.

I have never used LINQ, so while I recognise this as looking like a standard SQL query I do not know if it is valid C# code.

This is valid C# code. When you create a new project in VS2008 you need to make sure you target 3.5 of the framework. That will then use the new C# compiler which will allow you to write these statements.
feline Posted - Mar 19 2008 : 11:52:47 AM
"foobar" is underlined for me as a spelling error, since it is not in VA's dictionary of valid English words. You could turn off:

VA Options -> Advanced -> Underlines -> Underline spelling errors in comments and strings using

to stop this being underlined. This has nothing to do with LINQ, and is simply the spelling check on strings and comments at work.

What error message are you talking about? I have added this code to a C# file in VS2008, and it does not compile. I am not seeing any error messages until I try to compile the code. When I compile, the error is from the compiler its self, and nothing to do with VA.

I am seeing the same colouring on the first "c", but since the code does not compile I am not sure if this is because VA is confused or because the code is invalid.

I have never used LINQ, so while I recognise this as looking like a standard SQL query I do not know if it is valid C# code.

© 2023 Whole Tomato Software, LLC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000