Visual Assist
 Technical Support
 Slow while typing code

You must be registered to post a reply.
Click here to register.

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format: BoldItalicizeUnderlineStrikethrough Align leftCenterAlign right Insert horizontal ruleUpload and insert imageInsert hyperlinkInsert email addressInsert codeInsert quoted textInsert listInsert Emoji

Forum code is on.
Html is off.

Check to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
andre.horst Posted - Apr 10 2008 : 04:22:37 AM
The new release 1632 slowes down typing of code. While i type any code vax seems to do a lot of stuff behind and i have to wait until it has finished to continue my work. The previous release, 1624 i think, was much faster and the workflow was ok. I also had installed the beta release of 1632... Maybe vax has some problems with complex templates and large projects, but as i told the previous version works fine. The actually vax performance while typing code is therfore inacceptable.

And there a nother problem existing since i use vax (hoped the problem will be fixed some time...). If a select a text block and type "/" to comment or uncomment the text it just will be overwritten with "/". If i >undo< the text-overwrite and reselect the textblock and type the "/" it works as expected.
13   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
feline Posted - Apr 16 2008 : 10:41:48 AM
Loading and unloading VA with a workspace loaded in VC6 is not recommended. This can lead to VC6 crashing. This is due to the way VA has to hook into the IDE, without any help from the IDE.

If you want to unload VA I recommend closing the workspace first.

Hopefully simply turning off this desktop manager will fix the problems you are seeing.
andre.horst Posted - Apr 16 2008 : 02:47:58 AM
I disabled the desktop-managed (don't really think this helps to avoid the crash...). I opened the ide that automatically loads my last workspace. I turned off vax, that unloads my workspace. After all (no workspace loaded) i turned vax on again and the ide crashed. Enabling vax if no workspace was already loaded, vax doesn't crash.

Turning off the desktop-manager makes vax as fast as it should be - very strange...

I am defenetly NOT using the lates driver and i can't switch to it - i haven't got the required rights to install a driver on my computer.
feline Posted - Apr 15 2008 : 10:42:24 AM
VA 1632 added the ability to have transparent listboxes, but you need to hold down the Control key to activate this, and it is only active while a listbox is showing and you hold down the Control key.

Off hand this is the only obvious point of contact between VA and transparent windows while dragging.

Neither version of VA should crash the IDE. This suggests an interaction between VA and something, perhaps something about the NVidia card. Are you using the latest drivers?

If you disable this Desktop-Manager, or unload it, does the crash go away?

Did you see any of these problems before installing winXP SP3 beta? This might be a factor.
andre.horst Posted - Apr 15 2008 : 03:52:05 AM
After working for a while with 1632, i think it is faster than before (with window-transparent-dragging effect off), but still slower than 1626...
andre.horst Posted - Apr 15 2008 : 03:04:27 AM
I got it! I use a NVidia 7300 LE with driver 91.47 and Desktop-Manager activated with transparent window-dragging effect. After disabling this effect, vax 1632 works fine. But notice, that this effect and vax had incompatibility problems since version 1632...

Disabling vax 1632 doesnt help to solve the problem. Loading a workspace shows CPU load up to 80% is much slower than 1626. Several Windows were flickering. 1626 works as usually and opens a workspace much faster. It doesnt matter if vax is enabled or disabled.

By the way: Also 1626 crashes the IDE while re-enabling it if a workspace was loaded and than closed.
feline Posted - Apr 14 2008 : 2:59:53 PM
I now have winXP SP3 RC2 installed. When I run VC6 with VA 1632 I am not seeing any odd problems or excessive CPU usage.

Are you saying you saw 30 - 50% CPU usage with VA disabled? Is this normal on your system with your workspace? If VA is disabled then it should not be having any major effect on your CPU.

For my own reference, I ran into a blue screen of death after installing winXP SP3 RC2 and the fix is here:

http://forums.microsoft.com/technet/showpost.aspx?postid=3141415&siteid=17&sb=0&d=1&at=7&ft=11&tf=0&pageid=1
feline Posted - Apr 14 2008 : 11:26:50 AM
Are you using winXP SP3 RC2 ? This is the version I am finding on Microsoft's website. I am currently downloading this to test here.
andre.horst Posted - Apr 14 2008 : 03:51:44 AM
I have WinXP SP3.

I disabled all other plugins including vax 1632. Opened my workspace and typed some code. It was still slow and some other windows were flickering (2 monitors). Very strange behavior... Both CPUs are at peak up to 30%-50%. Than i enabled vax while the workspace was loaded and the IDE crashed . I restarted the IDE without a workspace, enabled vax, loaded the workspace and typed code. Still slow.

I reinstalled vax 1626, did all the same stuff and had no problems, also the IDE didn't crashed...
feline Posted - Apr 11 2008 : 10:44:10 AM
Can you try installing VA 1632 and running a CPU monitor please? I am wondering if the CPU is maxed out. Something must be causing this slow down, but what?

When are you seeing this fade in / fade out effect?
I have just tried typing in VC6, winXP SP2, VA 1632, and I am not seeing any fade in or out. The transparent listboxes when you hold down Control are new in VA 1632, but on my test machines I actually have to trigger them manually.

winXP settings, in:
control panel -> Display -> Appearance tab -> Effects
I have menus set to "fade effect", yet I am not seeing anything with VA listboxes while typing.

Does changing this winXP setting have any effect on VA?

Can you try disabling your other VC6 plugins and see if this makes any difference?
I would suggest load VC6, but do not load your workspace. Then go into:

VC6 tools menu -> Customize -> Add-ins and Macro Files tab

and untick the other addin's. Then load the workspace.
andre.horst Posted - Apr 11 2008 : 02:30:14 AM
I re-installed 1632 and it feels very slow again. I really dont know where the problem is, but i guess it could be the algorithms that search the symbols for the suggestion box. After i typed a few chars its going to be faster. There must be fundamental change in how you search or organize symbols or something else that is involved in the popup of the suggestion box.

The transparent effect seems to come from WinXP Settings with window-fading-in. But thees settings never changed between installing 1626 and 1632.

After testing 1632 i go back to 1626 and everything is fine
feline Posted - Apr 10 2008 : 12:37:00 PM
The error with "/", there is a known problem where this sort of thing can happen when selecting a block of text, doing something, undoing the action, and then triggering "/". However you should not have this problem if you are just selecting text and triggering this.

The transparent listboxes, do you remember when you saw this happening? For me I am not seeing the listboxes go transparent while typing. If I press and hold the Control key while a listbox is visible on the screen it goes transparent, but I am not seeing any slow down, or fading, while typing.
andre.horst Posted - Apr 10 2008 : 09:44:45 AM
VC6, C++, WindowsXP,
Plug-Ins ClearCase, Visio, WndTabs

I could not figure out the right circumstances to reproduce the error with typing "/", happens randomly sometimes, sorry... If i had figured out the correct circumstances i had already told you.

I now re-installed VAX 1626 and the performance is much better now. The performance lag in 1632 could be the fault of the new transparent window stuff. It looks like the window faded in and out while typing any chars.
feline Posted - Apr 10 2008 : 08:49:22 AM
which IDE are you using?
what programming language are you using?
which OS are you using?
Do you have any other IDE plugins installed?

How easily can you reproduce the problem with commenting out code with "/" ? I am not seeing any problems doing this.

Also I am not seeing any differences in performance for VA on my test systems.

© 2023 Whole Tomato Software, LLC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000