Visual Assist
 Technical Support
 1632 - no selection with mouse

You must be registered to post a reply.
Click here to register.

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format: BoldItalicizeUnderlineStrikethrough Align leftCenterAlign right Insert horizontal ruleUpload and insert imageInsert hyperlinkInsert email addressInsert codeInsert quoted textInsert listInsert Emoji

Forum code is on.
Html is off.

Check to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Michal Puczynski Posted - Apr 14 2008 : 11:26:37 AM
Occasionally with 1632 editor enters state where selecting text with mouse is not possible. Keyboard selection with Shoft+ <- / -> still works and double click on a word works too.
Other open editor windows have selection working. The problem seems persistent for affected window until it gets opened again. Walking through tabs does not help, it must be closed completely.

Observed on VC++ 2003 Sp1.
13   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
sean Posted - Jun 12 2009 : 9:05:45 PM
case=16204 is fixed in build 1727 (we think)
feline Posted - Apr 22 2008 : 2:48:25 PM
Thank you for the log files, I have asked our developers about this, to see if they have any ideas.
Michal Puczynski Posted - Apr 22 2008 : 10:21:05 AM
posted, case=16204
feline Posted - Apr 22 2008 : 08:29:47 AM
Can you please submit the log files via the form:

http://www.wholetomato.com/support/contact.asp

including this thread ID or URL in the description, so we can match it up. Hopefully the log files will offer some clues. I don't think I have ever experienced what you are describing.
Michal Puczynski Posted - Apr 22 2008 : 06:22:29 AM
I just got it. When selection is not generally possible via mouse, some is still possible. Via keyboard, by double-click on word, or by clicking on gutter, however when trying to extend the selection, nothing happens. When I closed the source file and reopened it, I could select. I do have a va.log from that.
feline Posted - Apr 21 2008 : 1:17:37 PM
I agree, that does seem to rule out a resource leak.

When you turn on VA logging does the problem immediately go away?

Next time this happens, can you please try the following test:
* close most open files, so you only have 3 or 4 open files
* make sure none of the other open files are modified
* try and type in the problem file. Are any of the other open files listed as being modified?

I am wondering if somehow the characters are being sent to the wrong file. Does the caret move when you try and type, or does it stay still?

What about other key presses, e.g. Alt-o, CTRL-F, CTRL-I
NOPcode Posted - Apr 21 2008 : 09:33:33 AM
Typing: anything at all in the source file in the ide; I can switch to another existing open file and it was fine. If I closed the file and reopened it it still had the problem.
As for a resource leak, I seriously doubt it: this has happened on two different machines (yes I take work home). One runs just VS2008, the other one runs both VS2005 and VS2003. Memory consumption on all three IDE's are stable - from 55meg to 91meg and don't jump around much.
As for restarting the IDE, yes, this is the only way to get the problem to go away.
feline Posted - Apr 21 2008 : 08:52:24 AM
When you say with typing, do you mean you cannot select text with the keyboard, or that you cannot type anything at all with the keyboard?

How much memory is the IDE using? Does this seem normal?
Are you seeing problems in any other program?

I am wondering (this is a wild theory) if there is some form of memory or resource leak on your machine. If this happens it can show up first in a complex program, like the IDE.

When the problem shows up does restarting the IDE make any difference?
NOPcode Posted - Apr 20 2008 : 10:00:11 PM
Now also getting the same problem, but with typing. It happened with a cpp file but not the header file for it, but then started for that header file (but not the other files that I had opened). Again, this is after being in the ide for a while. I've just now turned logging on, so of course it won't happen again!
Michal Puczynski Posted - Apr 16 2008 : 02:27:08 AM
Hello Feline! I haven't seen that before. I have no plugins except VA. Problem occurred after heavy editing, copy-pasting etc. Possibly search trough files and/or reference search was also used. I haven't reproduced that again since my report, if I do I add more details.
feline Posted - Apr 15 2008 : 11:59:23 AM
Have you seen this problem before, or does it seem to be new in VA 1632?

Next time this happens can you please enable VA logging, reproduce the problem and then exit the IDE. This stops the log files from getting to large. Please see this FAQ for details of turning on VA's logging, and sending us the log files

http://docs.wholetomato.com?W305

Hopefully the log files will offer some clues as to what is going on here.
NOPcode Posted - Apr 15 2008 : 08:11:39 AM
Also getting this on random occasion, and the only other thing that I have is the QT4 integration. Moving the cursor via keyboard sometimes clears it, but when it doesn't, I have to exit and restart the IDE.
feline Posted - Apr 14 2008 : 11:40:35 AM
Do you have any other IDE plugins installed?
Have you ever noticed this problem in previous versions of VA?

Does selecting entire lines by left clicking in the gutter / selection margin down the left hand side of the editor work?

Have you noticed any form of pattern that might explain why this is happening?

© 2023 Whole Tomato Software, LLC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000