Visual Assist
 Technical Support
 Breakpoints causes 25 second hang!

You must be registered to post a reply.
Click here to register.

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format: BoldItalicizeUnderlineStrikethrough Align leftCenterAlign right Insert horizontal ruleUpload and insert imageInsert hyperlinkInsert email addressInsert codeInsert quoted textInsert listInsert Emoji

Forum code is on.
Html is off.

Check to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
znakeeye Posted - Apr 30 2008 : 10:22:00 AM
I just verified that this has nothing to do with VAX, but since the users of this forum have great knowledge of VS problems, I'll give it a shot.

Windows XP SP2, VS 2003 + VS 2005 SP1 + VS 2008 (installed in that order). The problem is present in all VS versions.

If I get an ASSERT when debugging, the IDE hangs for exactly 25 seconds, with 0% CPU usage! The same happens when I enter a function which takes CStrings (or any other complex type) as arguments:
CString str;
foo(str); // F11 causes the IDE to hang! (char* operator inside MFC DLL...?)

It seems I get these lockups when I debug into "other's code", such as MFC. Clicking in the "Call Stack" also yields these tiresome lockups. Crazy!

Any ideas? I'm getting desperate here! We have found this weird behavior on two machines, and there is no pattern of running processes and/or Windows services (no Antivirus). The only thing in common is that VS 2008 Pro was installed and uninstalled, and then VS 2008 Developer was installed. Of course this did not cause any problems on a third machine...

Any help is greatly appreciated!
4   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
znakeeye Posted - May 01 2008 : 2:54:17 PM
Thanks for the reply!

Interesting idea mwb1100! I'll scrutinize my debug info as soon as I get back to work.
mwb1100 Posted - Apr 30 2008 : 2:29:22 PM
You may also want to run something like filemon to see if something is trying to access a file over a no longer existing network share or something (a consistent 25 second pause sounds suspiciously like a network timeout). A filename stored in debug info might be the culprit.
sean Posted - Apr 30 2008 : 11:02:33 AM
Also check to see if you have expressions in your watch windows that the debugger is trying to re-evaluate when you step.
feline Posted - Apr 30 2008 : 10:48:10 AM
Have you tried a pair of zero length read only NCB files?

http://docs.wholetomato.com?W133

Its a random thought, since I have no idea what might be causing the problem, but long delays while editing are normally related to the IDE's intellisense parser, so maybe there is a connection.

© 2023 Whole Tomato Software, LLC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000