Visual Assist
 Technical Support
 suggestion list not being displayed

You must be registered to post a reply.
Click here to register.

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format: BoldItalicizeUnderlineStrikethrough Align leftCenterAlign right Insert horizontal ruleUpload and insert imageInsert hyperlinkInsert email addressInsert codeInsert quoted textInsert listInsert Emoji

Forum code is on.
Html is off.

Check to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
markdc Posted - May 09 2008 : 6:10:51 PM
All of a sudden I stopped getting suggestions as I type. I already tried uninstalling and reinstalling and reparsing all, but I get the same issue. Sys info:

VA_X.dll file version 10.4.1624.0 built 2007.12.07
DevEnv.exe version 7.10.3077.0
msenv.dll version 7.10.3077.0
Font: Courier New 16(Pixels)
Comctl32.dll version 5.82.2900.2982
Windows XP 5.1 Build 2600 Service Pack 2
2 processors

This is with C++.
13   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
feline Posted - Dec 01 2010 : 09:46:51 AM
Hopefully this will help. We have various users who work in quite large projects, and they are not reporting this problem. So I am not sure what is going wrong here.
markdc Posted - Nov 30 2010 : 10:00:49 PM
It still seems to work inconsistantly with large projects. Works fine for small projects. I've upgraded to Win7 so we'll so how that goes.
feline Posted - Jun 07 2008 : 10:59:45 AM
Can you try adding a new file to your main solution, but do not add any #include statements?
If suggestions work correctly in this new file then this suggests that the problem is being caused by one of your standard #include statements.

If you see the same problem in this file then we need to look else where.
markdc Posted - Jun 06 2008 : 6:07:04 PM
VA Outline seems to work fine.

As far as the macros, it's possible--it's a large project. But it's happening in almost every file and they don't all have macros. I may try installing an earlier version to see if that helps.
feline Posted - Jun 02 2008 : 3:08:43 PM
This suggests that VA's parser is having problems with your code.

In a problem file, if you use Alt-m to show the list of methods in the file, or show VA Outline, are these showing the correct results? If they break part way down the file this should give a clue as to the cause of the problems.

Does your code use a lot of macro's? If you are working with macro's that call macro's this might be causing the problem, and the registry keys given in this FAQ entry might help:

http://docs.wholetomato.com?W363
markdc Posted - Jun 02 2008 : 2:11:42 PM
No sure. I have noticed that if I create a new class it works fine. It just seems to be an issue with existing code. Another thing I noticed is that the syntax highlighting will flash on and off briefly, and then it stops working.
feline Posted - May 21 2008 : 09:15:47 AM
Do you remember the last version of VA where suggestions worked correctly?

Are you seeing other problems as well? I recall a couple of bug reports about suggestions not working in some C++ projects, because our parser was having problems with the code. Due to the parser problems valid code was being underlined as mistyped symbols. Note this underlining does not happen until you edit a file, this is a performance optimisation to speed up simply opening and scrolling through files that you are not editing.
markdc Posted - May 20 2008 : 3:22:56 PM
> Do you have any other IDE plugins installed?

Clearcase, clearquest,PurifyPlus but I've had them as long as I've used vassist.

>Do you have any idea what might have triggered this problem?

It's seems to only happen with large projects. If I make a small project then it works.
feline Posted - May 20 2008 : 2:08:12 PM
luiba which IDE and version of VA are you using?

This FAQ entry might be of interest to you:

http://docs.wholetomato.com?W313
luiba Posted - May 20 2008 : 05:15:31 AM
HI All.
I have the same problem in c# code.
i need disable vassistx, the suggest compare and then enable one more time.

L.
feline Posted - May 13 2008 : 08:16:02 AM
Do you have any other IDE plugins installed?
Do you have any idea what might have triggered this problem?

Can you try creating a new, default C++ console project please. I have just done this, and inside the _tmain function I just added the line:

int nFred;

As I typed this suggestions appeared for me.
markdc Posted - May 12 2008 : 1:51:44 PM
Yes. All the checkboxes on that page are enabled.
feline Posted - May 10 2008 : 08:59:39 AM
Can you check and see if you have:

VA Options -> Advanced -> Suggestions -> Include suggestions in listboxes

turned On or Off please? This needs to be turned on for suggestions to show up.

© 2023 Whole Tomato Software, LLC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000