Whole Tomato Software Forums
Whole Tomato Software Forums
Main Site | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Visual Assist
 Technical Support
 VA X shows advertisements when refactoring?

You must be registered to post a reply.
Click here to register.

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format: BoldItalicizeUnderlineStrikethrough Align leftCenterAlign right Insert horizontal ruleUpload and insert imageInsert hyperlinkInsert email addressInsert codeInsert quoted textInsert listInsert Emoji

Forum code is on.
Html is off.

Check to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
.oisyn Posted - May 21 2008 : 06:38:01 AM
What is this? Is my computer infected with adware or does VA X show advertisements when refactoring code? I'm using VA X 1632 in VC++ 2005, and when I rename a symbol that takes a while, I see an ad popping up in the lowerleft corner of the screen, which disappears as soon as the renaming is done.

I payed for my software and I've renewed VA every year since I purchased it in 2001, and I must say I'm not in the least bit amused by this. I'd like to know how I can turn it off.
5   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
feline Posted - May 21 2008 : 12:29:36 PM
That makes a degree of sense, especially if some of the files that need to be renamed are not currently open.
.oisyn Posted - May 21 2008 : 10:56:36 AM
The Visual Studio window seems to sometimes loose focus upon closing the 'rename symbol' dialog with the 'rename' button, but it regains focus after the refactoring has been done.
feline Posted - May 21 2008 : 10:11:13 AM
I am glad you have found the cause of the problem I am slightly mystified as to why messenger is responding to VA doing a refactoring though.

You could try running Process Explorer:

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb896653.aspx

and turn on the CPU History column (under Process Performance). This shows the CPU history for each running process, and might give you a clue if any other process is also showing a CPU spike at the same time as these adverts / messages appear.
.oisyn Posted - May 21 2008 : 09:45:35 AM
Aha, I found the culprit. It's Live Messenger. I had seen it twice, so I tried it with a refactoring task that would take a large amount of time. As soon as VA X starts working, the Messenger contact list window pops up containing the advert. But since my previous refactoring tasks didn't take so long, the advert was drawn but before the rest of the Messenger window could be drawn VA X has finished refactoring. So only the advert itself flashed shortly, as if the advert was contained within visual studio.

My appologies for the false accusations. :)
feline Posted - May 21 2008 : 09:09:21 AM
Can you post a screen shot? I have *never* see VA show any adverts like this, so I am 99.999% certain that you have a spyware problem, or possibly some other program is getting excited by VA scanning your code files. Very rarely anti-virus programs interfear with VA, so something noticing or being upset by VA scanning code is just possible.

© 2023 Whole Tomato Software, LLC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000