Visual Assist
 Technical Support
 1640 frequence freezes

You must be registered to post a reply.
Click here to register.

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format: BoldItalicizeUnderlineStrikethrough Align leftCenterAlign right Insert horizontal ruleUpload and insert imageInsert hyperlinkInsert email addressInsert codeInsert quoted textInsert listInsert Emoji

Forum code is on.
Html is off.

Check to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
cbranch Posted - Jun 02 2008 : 4:47:28 PM
Greetings,

Version 1640
VS2003SP1
Other Plugins: Incredibuild, VisualLint, King's Tools
Moded Stdafx.h:

#defines slots
#define signals public
#define Q_SLOTS
#define Q_SIGNALS public
#define BOOST_FILESYSTEM_NAMESPACE filesystem

I just upgraded to 1640 from 1638

I'm noticing that I'm getting frequent multi-second freezes when the list box comes up. It isn't every time, but it happens on many unrelated symbols, and completely separate files. I happens both when I'm typing new code, and also when I'm editing existing code. I have tried rebuilding the symbol database without any change. I have seen occasional freezes in past versions when I hit Ctrl+Space but very rarely with the automatic ones. Unfortunately this is very annoying and if it continues at this frequency, I'll probably revert to an older version (this did not happen in 1638).

I though I should bring this issue up, especially if other people see this same problem.

Regards,
-Colin Branch
6   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
feline Posted - Jun 04 2008 : 11:30:13 AM
I am always installing newer, or older, versions of VA for testing purposes, and I never bother to uninstall first, and I have never seen a problem like this.

At a wild guess there may have been a problem with your VA symbol database. If so the uninstall and reinstall may have triggered a symbol database rebuild. If this is what caused the problem then pressing the button:

VA Options -> Performance -> Rebuild symbol databases

may have helped. These problems are very rare, and we are trying to make them even more rare.
accord Posted - Jun 03 2008 : 4:23:22 PM
Installing the new version over the old one should always work.
Uninstalling and then installing can help in extremely rare cases, but personally I think it's worth to try.
cbranch Posted - Jun 03 2008 : 3:54:19 PM
Visual Lint is not active (and have never caused any issues so far that I can tell so I don't think it is the culprit). Incredibuild is actually slightly more likely to impact as I have been having increasing IDE locking problems while it is in the middle of builds (however when not building it does not inspect the code).

No the default intellisense was turned off. No I did not hit control space, I also don't think it was after a space however I do type rather fast so it could be. I would say the frequency was about once every line of code, but sometimes 100% repeatable w/ a new line of code. It type symbol (it would freeze halfway through, next delete last character and retype it, it would not freeze, delete entire symbol and start to retype it and it would freeze again).

Now this is strange. I started playing around with all of the settings turning them 'on' and 'off' without much change in behavior until basically I had VAX not doing anything at all (but still active). At this point it was very fast (but of course no highlighting or suggestion listboxes). Then I started turning features back on, and did not see any performance decrease. I'm not back up to my same settings (with most things turned on) and I have not seen the same constant freezes. This seems to indicate that there are problems when upgrading to new versions. I've been using VAX for several years now, and I wonder if 'cruft' from past versions is affecting newer ones. Typically I shut down VS then install a new version, then modify the StdAfx.h then start up VS and I'm good to go. I typically do not uninstall VAX. It is starting to look like maybe that is necessary (and if so should be enforced by the installer). So the good news for now is that I don't need to revert. But it is certainly strange.

-Colin
feline Posted - Jun 03 2008 : 08:36:17 AM
Do you have:

VA Options -> Advanced -> Listboxes -> Get content from default Intellisense

turned on or off?

When typing a string literal, are you pressing CTRL-SPACE when you see this pause?
accord Posted - Jun 03 2008 : 06:32:19 AM
Unfortunately I cannot reproduce the problem.

I have downloaded the trial version of VisualLint, but there is no trial for PC-lint (PC-lint is required for VisualLint). So my test scenario it not the same as yours.

- How often is this happen? once from 100 suggestions, once from 10 suggestions, or even more frequent?
- When this happens, is VisualLint parsing in the background?
- Can you watch Windows Task Manager while this is happening? I am curious about the CPU usage and about which program using it heavily if any...
- Can you try to disable your virus checker, and see if this helps or not? Normally this is not a factor, but it can cause problem in rare cases.
cbranch Posted - Jun 02 2008 : 5:02:19 PM
Just as a follow up, it is sometimes repeatable. I've also see in when in the middle of typing a string literal which I find pretty strange since I usually don't get any sort of context information. I believe all of my other settings are the defaults.

We append to the beginning the same two letters to all of our type, so we have hundreds of classes/types which use that. Tt currently freezes for about 5 seconds when I type those two letters at the beginning of a new line (each and every time).

-Colin

© 2023 Whole Tomato Software, LLC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000