Visual Assist
 Technical Support
 1640: bold non-inheritet not working with base

You must be registered to post a reply.
Click here to register.

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format: BoldItalicizeUnderlineStrikethrough Align leftCenterAlign right Insert horizontal ruleUpload and insert imageInsert hyperlinkInsert email addressInsert codeInsert quoted textInsert listInsert Emoji

Forum code is on.
Html is off.

Check to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Uniwares Posted - Jul 10 2008 : 11:42:07 AM
VS2005, C#

Title says it all. When "bold non-inheritet members" is enabled, it does not work for "base.", all members in base are shown normal like inheritet members (and thus also not listed correctly with non-inheritet first).
5   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
feline Posted - Jul 11 2008 : 1:16:19 PM
We are hoping to post a new build in the next few days which should improve VA's database handling when running multiple IDE's at the same time. This might help, depending on what is causing this problem.
Uniwares Posted - Jul 11 2008 : 11:51:14 AM
Damn it, your sample works. And after restarting the IDE it works with my other classes again too. Might be some problem with re-parsing or better not parsing? Will watch out for it.
feline Posted - Jul 11 2008 : 11:32:05 AM
This makes sense. using VS2005 and VA 1640 I have added the following code to a cs file:

public class Form1 : Form
{
    public Form1()
    {
    }

private int getBananaHeight() { return 3; }
    private int getBananaWidth() { return 2; }

private void testThisAndBaseListboxes()
    {
        |
    }
};

typing "this." shows me this, once I have scrolled to the top of the listbox:

and typing "base." shows me this, once I have scrolled half way down the list to find when the bold items stop working:

This is what I would expect to see. Am I testing the wrong thing? Can you try the same test in your solution please, I am wondering if the problem only effects specific classes.
Uniwares Posted - Jul 10 2008 : 4:55:15 PM
base is used to reference the base class of the current class (C# can have only ONE base class)
So if myClass is derived from anotherClass, base refers to anotherClass. As you would use anotherClass::member to access a member of a class you derived from, C# uses base.member .

The bug described does not show the members of anotherClass correctly then.
feline Posted - Jul 10 2008 : 4:16:35 PM
I don't understand. According to my C# book (just arrived, time I found out something about C#) "base" is used to call the parent constructor from the constructor of a derived class.

It has a second description in the appendix, used in place of "this", and if I am reading this correctly, it only accesses members from the base class. Is this what you are seeing the problem with?

© 2023 Whole Tomato Software, LLC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000