Visual Assist
 Technical Support
 1645:Auto Recovery only shows 1st char of filename

You must be registered to post a reply.
Click here to register.

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format: BoldItalicizeUnderlineStrikethrough Align leftCenterAlign right Insert horizontal ruleUpload and insert imageInsert hyperlinkInsert email addressInsert codeInsert quoted textInsert listInsert Emoji

Forum code is on.
Html is off.

Check to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Maxim Posted - Jul 18 2008 : 10:03:50 AM
Ctrl+C on the messagebox:
quote:
---------------------------
Visual Assist X
Visual Assist has detected P was not properly saved.

Would you like to load the unsaved version?
Yes No

VC6, crashes a few times most days :(
7   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Maxim Posted - Jul 23 2008 : 10:54:25 AM
It seems to be a race condition/deadlock related to TortoiseCVS. Thanks for suggesting that tool.
feline Posted - Jul 22 2008 : 08:03:29 AM
You might get some clues by running FileMon:

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb896642.aspx

As you say, it does sound like something else happened to cause this problem. Hopefully there is someone in your organisation you can talk to about this, if something they have done is causing problems. At a wild guess it sounds like an anti-virus type program might be causing problems.

I have seen very occasional problems where anti-virus programs cause problems for VA.
Maxim Posted - Jul 22 2008 : 05:25:05 AM
It happens on several machines. To make it clear: it started happening about a month ago, but downgrading to 1635 (from April) didn't make any difference. Corporate software pushes happen all the time without documentation and cannot be turned off.

Often the symptom is that MSDEV is trying to save a file, saving to MVCxxx.tmp (xxx is random hex), file is created at 0 bytes and it deadlocks inside WaitForSingleObject where the wait object is an Event. VAX may or may not be mentioned on the call stack; if it is, it is all the way at the bottom.
feline Posted - Jul 21 2008 : 2:38:35 PM
Do any of your colleges also use VA? I am wondering if this is a machine specific problem, or if it happens on several machines.
Maxim Posted - Jul 21 2008 : 04:08:37 AM
I delete NCBs regularly and do a fresh checkout when things get really hairy, but to be honest I think it's more likely a virus checker/corporate "compliance" spyware issue. Problem is, I can't bear to work without VAX to see if it helps, but I tend to think it isn't VAX. (I used old versions for a while and the problem persisted. Symptom is MSDEV.EXE's main thread deadlocking on WaitForSingleObject(some Event).)
support Posted - Jul 20 2008 : 1:12:44 PM
case=18595 is fixed in build 1646
feline Posted - Jul 18 2008 : 10:35:38 AM
I am seeing the same effect here. Thank you for the clear description.

case=18595

Can you try deleting the NCB file and see if this helps with the IDE stability. I have seen a corrupt NCB file cause IDE crashes.

© 2023 Whole Tomato Software, LLC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000