Visual Assist
 Technical Support
 C#: Creating instance of template: IList<...>

You must be registered to post a reply.
Click here to register.

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format: BoldItalicizeUnderlineStrikethrough Align leftCenterAlign right Insert horizontal ruleUpload and insert imageInsert hyperlinkInsert email addressInsert codeInsert quoted textInsert listInsert Emoji

Forum code is on.
Html is off.

Check to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Nels_P_Olsen Posted - Aug 19 2008 : 6:02:24 PM
With build 1647 (and some recent beta releases before that), Visual Studio frequently locks up with status line messages like

"VA X: Creating instance of template: IList<someItemType"

and

"VA X: Creating instance of template: IDictionary<someKeyType, someValueType>"

My CPU is maxed out while this happens. It either hangs for a quite a while (15 seconds to over a minute) and frequently crashes after that period of time.

In general, VA X has also has problems with generic methods in C# -- the VA outline and the contents of "definition field" combobox (VA X Options -> Advanced -> Display -> View Context and Definition fields)are missing methods that are declared after a method with generic arguments.
7   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
feline Posted - Oct 18 2008 : 1:39:39 PM
Does the log line actually state "VERRRY bad exception" ? I have not seen that one before!

Would it be possible to get a copy of the full logs? They may offer some insight into the problem. If so can you please submit the files via the form:

http://www.wholetomato.com/support/contact.asp

including this thread ID or URL in the description, so we can match it up.
Nels_P_Olsen Posted - Oct 17 2008 : 1:07:45 PM
I can reproduce the problem by moving the cursor through specific files in my solution, but it requires doing so with the (quite large) solution open. It doesn't happen if I just open those files outside of a solution. It happens every time files with generic types/methods are first opened and browsed through for the Visual Studio session.

I get these in the log around when it hangs and sometimes crashes:

Exception: PooledThreadBase::ThreadProc exception caught VAX:ParseThrdFn-MPGetScopeCls:93 10/17/2008 12:04:15 0xd48

There are also some of these:

Exception: PooledThreadBase::ThreadProc VERRRY bad exception caught in unknown thread - check log for last thread that started:76 10/17/2008 11:49:18 0x17d4
feline Posted - Oct 15 2008 : 11:13:37 AM
Email notification, if you edit the first post in this thread (edit icon) you should see a check box called "Check here to subscribe to this topic" below the main edit field. Just tick this and save the changes.

Any help to pin down the problem will be appreciated. Are you getting this hang all the time, or does it seem random? I am wondering about VA log files, and maybe a mini dump of the IDE its self when the IDE hangs. This is a lot easier to do if the hang is reproducible on demand.
Nels_P_Olsen Posted - Oct 14 2008 : 3:25:27 PM
Sorry to get back to you so late, I forget about this forum since I don't get emails about replies (is this supported?)

I have build 1649 and still have the problem with hanging. I haven't seen any crashing recently though. I will try to pull out a few files where this happens and put them in their own solution to see if it will still occur.
support Posted - Sep 13 2008 : 01:06:23 AM
case=18695 addresses the crash renaming a C# generic class in Visual Studio 2008.

case=18695 is fixed in build 1649
accord Posted - Aug 20 2008 : 3:38:32 PM
We have some code changes that may solve this problem also. These fixes will show up in the next / next few builds.
feline Posted - Aug 20 2008 : 1:02:28 PM
C# Generic items not being shown in the alt-m list is a known problem:

case=11633

This is down as a fairly urgent bug, but I do not yet have an estimate for when this will be fixed.

I have never seen or heard of this crashing the IDE, but I personally do very little work with C# generics. Do you remember an older build of VA that did not crash when working with C# generic types? Or have you always seen this problem?

How easily can you reproduce this, and which IDE are you using?

Using VS2005 and VA 1647 I have added the following code to a cs file:

class test_general
    {
        IList<String> m_listNames;
        IDictionary<String, String> m_ForenameSurname;
    }

I am not seeing any problems with this, or in the file. I have shown VA View and when I hover the mouse over the variables and the types IList and IDictionary VA shows me information quite happily.

Is it possible that the type inside the IList is the problem?

© 2023 Whole Tomato Software, LLC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000