Visual Assist
 Technical Support
 Crash on exit, VS2003

You must be registered to post a reply.
Click here to register.

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format: BoldItalicizeUnderlineStrikethrough Align leftCenterAlign right Insert horizontal ruleUpload and insert imageInsert hyperlinkInsert email addressInsert codeInsert quoted textInsert listInsert Emoji

Forum code is on.
Html is off.

Check to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
mikehabibi Posted - Aug 21 2008 : 6:16:53 PM
After installing VAX (the latest version and the version prior to that have the same problem), I've noticed that my Visual Studio crashes upno exiting most of the time. I'd say after working on a project for a bit, it'll crash about 90% of the time when exiting out. When it doesn't crash, all the windows close and it sits there for a good 5-10 seconds and then it'll finally close. With VAX uninstalled, quitting is instantaneous and crash-free.

Any ideas?

VA_X.dll file version 10.4.1647.0 built 2008.07.30
Licensed to:
VA X: [email protected] (5-user license) Support ends 2009.06.24
DevEnv.exe version 7.10.3077.0
msenv.dll version 7.10.3077.0
Font: Courier New 13(Pixels)
Comctl32.dll version 5.82.2900.2982
Windows XP 5.1 Build 2600 Service Pack 2
2 processors

Platform: Win32
Stable Includes:
C:\\Program Files\\Microsoft Visual Studio .NET 2003\\Vc7\\include;
C:\\Program Files\\Microsoft Visual Studio .NET 2003\\Vc7\\atlmfc\\include;
C:\\Program Files\\Microsoft Visual Studio .NET 2003\\Vc7\\PlatformSDK\\include\\prerelease;
C:\\Program Files\\Microsoft Visual Studio .NET 2003\\Vc7\\PlatformSDK\\include;
C:\\Program Files\\Microsoft Visual Studio .NET 2003\\SDK\\v1.1\\include;

Other Includes:

Stable Source Directories:
C:\\Program Files\\Microsoft Visual Studio .NET 2003\\Vc7\\atlmfc\\src\\mfc;
C:\\Program Files\\Microsoft Visual Studio .NET 2003\\Vc7\\atlmfc\\src\\atl;
C:\\Program Files\\Microsoft Visual Studio .NET 2003\\Vc7\\crt\\src;

5   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
feline Posted - Sep 17 2008 : 1:21:07 PM
To be honest I am not sure. Without knowing the exact cause of the crash you were seeing it is hard to tell. VA 1649 does contain quite a few bug fixes, so it may well fix this problem.
mtwombley Posted - Sep 16 2008 : 4:51:20 PM
I was also seeing this problem with 2003 and 1647. I've installed the 1649 build and I have not seen it yet. I don't program in 2003 as often now as my responsibilities have changed somewhat and now I code more in C++/CLI on 2005. Was this fixed with the new build then?
feline Posted - Sep 11 2008 : 1:26:33 PM
I have the mini dump file, thank you for this. I have replied via email.
mikehabibi Posted - Sep 11 2008 : 10:21:26 AM
I'm still having issues with this, I sent a minidump to the link above.
feline Posted - Aug 22 2008 : 10:11:11 AM
Which programming language are you working in?
Do you have any other IDE plugins installed?

Clearly this is not supposed to happen. With the IDE closed can you try deleting the directory:

C:\\Documents and Settings\\ USERNAME \\Local Settings\\Application Data\\VisualAssist\
This is where VA stores its symbol database, and this will force VA to rebuild it. It is possible a corrupt VA symbol database is a factor here. If so this should help.

Can you also delete the NCB file in the root directory of your solution please. The IDE will rebuild this file. Corrupt NCB files can crash the IDE, but that should happen with or without VA, so this is a long shot, but it is a quick and easy test.

If this does not help are you able to debug this crash with a second IDE instance, and save out a mini dump file? A mini dump might help us work out what is going wrong here. If you can get one can you please submit the file via the form:

http://www.wholetomato.com/support/contact.asp

including this thread ID or URL in the description, so we can match it up.

© 2023 Whole Tomato Software, LLC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000