Visual Assist
 Technical Support
 VB9 / VS2008 Intellisense Conflicts

You must be registered to post a reply.
Click here to register.

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format: BoldItalicizeUnderlineStrikethrough Align leftCenterAlign right Insert horizontal ruleUpload and insert imageInsert hyperlinkInsert email addressInsert codeInsert quoted textInsert listInsert Emoji

Forum code is on.
Html is off.

Check to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
leigh.kendall Posted - Oct 09 2008 : 9:19:57 PM
I'm using VAX 10.4.1645.0 with Visual Studio 2008 and VB. It appears that VAX conflicts with improvements to the VB9 intellisense. For example, the acronyms and shorten list features don't work in VB unless you hit a subsequent Ctrl+J to force the full drop down. This worked OK in VS2005/VB. When selecting a generic for return type like "List(Of T)" from a drop down, VAX selects the whole item and overrides VB's implementation.

Have these issues been identified as bugs yet by Whole Tomato? Is there a solution to this problem?

Thanks...
23   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
support Posted - Jan 27 2009 : 9:08:01 PM
case=22140, case=22138, and case=15202 are fixed in build 1715
feline Posted - Jan 05 2009 : 1:44:09 PM
Placing the IDE Snippets into the listboxes VA shows would help with some of these problems, so I have put a feature request for this:

case=22498

I am not sure how easy this will be, but it might be doable.

The listbox filtering, this is a known problem, case=15202, and is being looked at.
leigh.kendall Posted - Jan 02 2009 : 5:07:11 PM
Correction to Listbox filtering:
Shorthand and Acronyms seems to work OK; filtering still doesn't. For example in Winforms - typing Button doesn't show AcceptButton until you override with Ctrl+J.
leigh.kendall Posted - Jan 02 2009 : 4:28:46 PM
"Snippets that are not a keyword":
Yes, that works for me. As long as I escape to clear the VAX list, then hit tab the VB snippet is inserted correctly. Too bad you have to hit Escape though.

List box filtering
Actually - random at best - lately VAX filtering seems to be working just fine...

Integer issue:
Yes, that works for me too. Item not selected/highlighted, but has dashed border around selection. Turning off the Enter option did the trick. Thanks.

I'll post if I find anything new. Thanks again...
feline Posted - Dec 24 2008 : 2:29:40 PM
Triggering the list of IDE snippets in VB, I did not know you could do that. I am seeing the same problem in VS2008:

case=22138

I had always wondered how you were supposed to discover the IDE snippets while editing. Live and learn

Snippets that are not a keyword, can you please try typing colIter, press Escape to dismiss any listbox you may be seeing, and then press Tab. For me this IDE snippet is being inserted correctly. I am wondering if you are doing something slightly different to me. VA's listboxes can get in the way of IDE snippets, this may be causing the problem you are seeing. The known problem with IDE Snippets has been fixed in VA 1711.

Listbox filtering, this is currently being looked at. The IDE is not making this easy for us:

case=15202

Declaring and assigning a value to an Integer, can you try turning off:

VA Options -> Advanced -> Listboxes -> Selections committed with: Enter

does this stop this problem? It does for me. If you look does the item in the listbox actually have focus? For me it does not have focus, but it is still entered when I press Enter *sigh*

case=22140

Intellisense feeling slow, I have not noticed this myself, but my VB test code is quite small. I think this may be a known problem though, I am going to ask about this.

If you do any work in languages other than VB you may find adding .vb; to:

VA Options -> Projects -> Extensions -> Extensions to ignore

and restarting the IDE helps. This should disable VA in your VB code, but leave it active in other files.
leigh.kendall Posted - Dec 24 2008 : 12:32:54 PM
Here are my findings of the latest VAX 1711 build in VS2008 with VB.NET:

G?? Keyword + ? + tab-key not pulling up VB template search

G?? If snippet not also a keyword (like If), then template doesn't get inserted on tab-key

G?? VB intellisense filtering still overriding VAX acronymns and shorthand; still need to hit Ctrl+J to see full list with VAX filtering applied (actually - this is random)

G?? Declare variable as Integer; when assigning number, first item in intellisense is selected instead. When number typed in, intellisense should go away. This doesn't happen with strings since the first " double quote will disable intellisense.

G?? Overall intellisense is not as instant feeling with VAX enabled.

Note: none of the above issues are exhibited in the C# IDE. I used some VB & C# code samples and typed them with and without VAX enabled to come up with the above list. Unfortunately, I'm finding VAX unusable with VB in VS2008.
support Posted - Dec 16 2008 : 7:25:22 PM
case=21348 is a duplicate of case=21347

case=21347 is fixed in build 1711
feline Posted - Dec 04 2008 : 4:33:14 PM
I am able to reproduce a problem with shorthand and acronyms in VB in VS2008, I have just re-opened:

case=15202

This is improved in VA 1709, in my tests, but not fully fixed.
support Posted - Dec 04 2008 : 11:32:32 AM
The problem will be fixed in build 1710.
leigh.kendall Posted - Dec 04 2008 : 11:01:14 AM
My maintenance didn't extend to the latest version - I was using the 3 day trial which expired yesterday so I can't try this. However, I did notice that shorthand and acronyms were still not working in VB/VS2008. I suspect VAX is conflicting with the new filtering behavior in the VB intellisense.

I've removed VAX for now since I'm only coding in VB9 right now, but I did try the latest rev with C# the other day and all seems OK there. Sorry I can't be more help.
feline Posted - Dec 04 2008 : 10:39:46 AM
There is something odd going on with IDE snippets in VB in VS2008. I am using the snippet colIter - If I type this, wait a couple of seconds and then press Tab it is expanded correctly. If I press tab very quickly after typing it, then it is not expanded.

Can you try the same thing on your machine please, and see if you get the same results? If IDE snippets are not being expanded at all, even after a delay, then there may be a second problem here.

case=21348
leigh.kendall Posted - Dec 03 2008 : 2:45:38 PM
Not sure if this is a new issue with the latest build, but in VB, you can no longer Tab to select a built-in VS snippet. If you disable VAX, then Tab will correctly insert the snippet.
support Posted - Dec 01 2008 : 07:45:24 AM
case=20259 is also fixed in build 1707, as is case=20261 (unexpected dismissal of suggestion list after typing As keyword)
support Posted - Dec 01 2008 : 07:42:56 AM
case=15202 is fixed in build 1707
leigh.kendall Posted - Nov 18 2008 : 5:32:07 PM
Awesome news! Thanks...
feline Posted - Nov 18 2008 : 5:17:05 PM
We are hoping to post a beta build, containing this fix, along with various other changes, in the next couple of weeks (if everything goes to plan) in the beta section of the forum:

http://www.wholetomato.com/forum/forum.asp?FORUM_ID=11

For tracking the status of a case, this FAQ entry might help a bit:

http://docs.wholetomato.com?W318
leigh.kendall Posted - Nov 05 2008 : 4:30:44 PM
I meant to ask - how does one check on the status of a case# like case-15202? (this issue)

Thanks...
leigh.kendall Posted - Oct 13 2008 : 09:12:14 AM
Thanks for confirming this in the pipeline to be corrected. Hope to see it soon!

Leigh
feline Posted - Oct 13 2008 : 08:20:17 AM
I understand now, and I am seeing the same problem:

case=15202

It turns out some work has been done on this internally, but I am not sure when the results will show up.
leigh.kendall Posted - Oct 11 2008 : 09:45:17 AM
Yes to filtering. Unfortunately/fortunately (;-)) I got addicted to VAX with VS2003 and the VAX filtering worked great with both VB/C# until VS2008 with VB. In VB2008, the intellisense now does it's own filtering by the beginning letters you type. Unlike VAX which will match the letters you type to any portion of a selection (acromyms/shorthand?).

So besides the generics issues with List(Of T) being selected instead of just List(Of like in VB w/out VAX, the VAX filter is being overridden by VB's new filtering. UNLESS after VB overrides it, you do a Ctrl+J which then displays the entire intellisense list and VAX will then work correctly.

I did confirm with VB support/forum that the *ONLY* way to turn off the new VB intellisense filtering in VS2008 is to "reopen" the entire intellisense list by Ctrl+J. But that is such a pain for VAX to work correctly. I wonder if VAX could have an VB specific configurable option to somehow do a silent Ctrl+J under the covers??

How that all makes sense... :-) I really really miss my VAX!!
feline Posted - Oct 10 2008 : 7:13:31 PM
This makes sense, thank you. I am seeing the problem with "T" being inserted. I am actually seeing this in both VS2005 and VS2008, although there seems to be a slight random element here, mostly it fails and occasionally it works correctly:

case=20259

The listbox and filtering, I have found one specific problem. When I type the line:

Dim listNumbers As L

the listbox closes. This is triggered by "L", lower case "l" does not close the listbox. This is actually caused by a stray / unwanted item in the VA listbox called "L" which is being accepted:

case=20261

Are you seeing other problems with listbox filtering?
leigh.kendall Posted - Oct 10 2008 : 09:26:24 AM
>> manually changing T to "Integer" afterwards. <<

Exactly the problem. Turn of VAX and you'll see that the default VB intellisense would leave it as "List(Of " ready to fill in the datatype.

Also, you can no longer do VAX acronyms in VB, unless you override the VB context filtering using Ctrl+J, then VAX will work as it did in VS2005.

It appears the the VB intellisense enhancements and VAX are fighting...

Make sense??
feline Posted - Oct 10 2008 : 05:14:02 AM
I do not understand. Are you seeing a problem creating a variable of a generic type, or is the problem when you access members for this variable, or something else?

using VS2008 and VA 1649 I have just added the following code to a VB file:

Private Sub testListboxOnGenericType()
		Dim listNumbers As List(Of Integer)
		listNumbers.ad|
	End Sub

I am not seeing any problems. I had a listbox of two items when I typed "List" when declaring the variable, and accepted the item "List(Of T)", manually changing T to "Integer" afterwards.

When I typed ".ad" I had a listbox that filtered correctly.

© 2023 Whole Tomato Software, LLC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000