Visual Assist
 Technical Support
 1649: Huge cache?

You must be registered to post a reply.
Click here to register.

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format: BoldItalicizeUnderlineStrikethrough Align leftCenterAlign right Insert horizontal ruleUpload and insert imageInsert hyperlinkInsert email addressInsert codeInsert quoted textInsert listInsert Emoji

Forum code is on.
Html is off.

Check to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Frunobulax Posted - Nov 06 2008 : 08:47:37 AM
Hi,

I recently discovered that the VAX folder in my "local settings" folder reached a size of 7 gigabytes. Hitting "clear cache" didn't change anything. I finally ended up deleting the folder, which didn't seem to be a problem.

I don't mind a bit of cache space, but 7 gig? And I would firmly expect that "clear cache" deletes all this stuff.

Regards, tv
8   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
support Posted - Dec 01 2008 : 07:48:26 AM
case=20799 is fixed in build 1707
Frunobulax Posted - Nov 08 2008 : 09:20:20 AM
quote:
Originally posted by sean

When you press the Clear cache button, the changes are immediate. When you press the Rebuild button, the action is delayed until the next start of the IDE.

Sure. I always close and reopen all IDE instances after rebuilding.

quote:

But I see that there is a problem when you run multiple instances - the symbol database is not actively shared, it's a passive sharing. Rebuild only applies to one instance of the db. I'm not sure that we want one instance to purge all other instances. Need to think about it.

One improvement we could make is to have the purge part of rebuild occur on shutdown rather than at startup. case=20799

The problem is: I chose clean and rebuild, closed all IDEs and opened the IDE again, and the cache was still at 7G.

After deleting the cache folder and working normally for 2 days, the cache is 400M. So clearly the cache wasn't removed correctly even after closing all IDEs.

Regards, tv

sean Posted - Nov 07 2008 : 11:45:48 AM
When you press the Clear cache button, the changes are immediate. When you press the Rebuild button, the action is delayed until the next start of the IDE.

If you only ever run one instance at a time, Rebuild + Restart will clear the symbol database and rebuild it - so you will never see the space used by VA go all the way to 0 unless you manually delete the directories.

But I see that there is a problem when you run multiple instances - the symbol database is not actively shared, it's a passive sharing. Rebuild only applies to one instance of the db. I'm not sure that we want one instance to purge all other instances. Need to think about it.

One improvement we could make is to have the purge part of rebuild occur on shutdown rather than at startup. case=20799
Frunobulax Posted - Nov 07 2008 : 11:40:20 AM
FYI, I deleted the local settings folder yesterday morning. Now it's at 400 MB.

Regards, tv

Frunobulax Posted - Nov 07 2008 : 02:24:19 AM
quote:
Originally posted by sean

There are many directories underneath the VAX directory. If this continues to occur, please note the distribution of space in the sub-directories (CPP, cache, Sys, Proj*). It is alarming that it only takes 1-2 days for VA to use up 7GB of space! Do you often run with multiple instances of the IDE running simultaneously?

Yes, we do, and we have some template-heavy c++ code in large projects that occasionally confuses VAX. But VAX doesn't use 7G within 1-2 days - I meant that I run "clean cache" every 1-2 days. The problem is that the folder is still 7G after the "clean cache+rebuild" treatment.

Regards, tv
sean Posted - Nov 06 2008 : 8:23:43 PM
There are many directories underneath the VAX directory. If this continues to occur, please note the distribution of space in the sub-directories (CPP, cache, Sys, Proj*). It is alarming that it only takes 1-2 days for VA to use up 7GB of space! Do you often run with multiple instances of the IDE running simultaneously?
Frunobulax Posted - Nov 06 2008 : 6:36:59 PM
quote:
Originally posted by rhummer

You also have to hit the "Rebuild" button. The "Clear Cache" only frees up history, cache, and temp files. At 7 gigs I would suspect something whet spiraling out of control with the symbol database.

I always clear the cache when I do a rebuild, which is fairly frequently (every 1-2 days). And I agree, something is wrong here.

tv
rhummer Posted - Nov 06 2008 : 10:14:10 AM
You also have to hit the "Rebuild" button. The "Clear Cache" only frees up history, cache, and temp files. At 7 gigs I would suspect something whet spiraling out of control with the symbol database.

© 2023 Whole Tomato Software, LLC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000