Visual Assist
 Technical Support
 Minor Bug?: Symbols Within BEGIN_MESSAGE_MAP block

You must be registered to post a reply.
Click here to register.

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format: BoldItalicizeUnderlineStrikethrough Align leftCenterAlign right Insert horizontal ruleUpload and insert imageInsert hyperlinkInsert email addressInsert codeInsert quoted textInsert listInsert Emoji

Forum code is on.
Html is off.

Check to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
wlater Posted - Nov 07 2008 : 11:47:40 AM
I have what I think is a minor bug (VA Version 10.4.1649.0, Visual Studio 2008 SP1) with unrecognized symbols with MFC within the BEGIN_MESSAGE_MAP and END_MESSAGE_MAP macros. The short snippet below shows the issue. I get the OnOK symbol below underlined with the red squiggly for an unrecognized symbol. Using the full CTestDialog::OnOK name allows VisualAssist to recognize it. Looks like Visual Assist is not fully dealing with the expansion of the BEGIN_MESSAGE_MAP macro and so doesn't recognize the unadorned OnOK symbol. The compiler is perfectly happy with the unadorned OnOK as expected.

class CTestDialog : public CDialog
{
protected:

afx_msg void OnOK();

DECLARE_MESSAGE_MAP()
};

BEGIN_MESSAGE_MAP(CTestDialog, CDialog)
   ON_BN_CLICKED(IDOK, OnOK) 
   ON_BN_CLICKED(IDOK, CTestDialog::OnOK) 
END_MESSAGE_MAP()
3   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
accord Posted - Nov 10 2008 : 3:50:17 PM
I don't think that opening stdafx.h causes full rebuilding of symbol databases, but opening files causes rebuilding parts of it. Maybe good idea to include rebuilding instruction to the end of the FAQ entry.

I'm glad it worked
wlater Posted - Nov 10 2008 : 3:29:26 PM
OK, I think it's working now. I tried the registry changes but that did not seem to work. I then tried the other link discussing VAX's stdafx.h file. While trying to get my copy of stdafx.h to work correctly to fix the problem, the underlining behavior was suddenly correct. I then went back to the default stdafx.h in the VAX directory and underlining was still correct.

All I can think of is that the stdafx.h steps involved rebuilding the symbol database and that's also needed for the registry approach. Is that correct? Should the registry setting instructions include rebuilding the symbol database? Kinda makes sense to me now that I've been through this.

Anyway, it works correctly now. So thanks for the help.
accord Posted - Nov 09 2008 : 09:37:54 AM
Can you please try to turn off limited macro parsing to see if this helps?

http://docs.wholetomato.com?W363

© 2023 Whole Tomato Software, LLC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000