Visual Assist
 Technical Support
 Build 1707 issue!

You must be registered to post a reply.
Click here to register.

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format: BoldItalicizeUnderlineStrikethrough Align leftCenterAlign right Insert horizontal ruleUpload and insert imageInsert hyperlinkInsert email addressInsert codeInsert quoted textInsert listInsert Emoji

Forum code is on.
Html is off.

Check to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
ChrisWest Posted - Nov 22 2008 : 05:37:54 AM
Hi There
Just installed build 1707 on a vista 64bit system with Visual Studio 2008, go to start up Visual Studio and I get a Package Load Failure error box oddly for package:

Microsoft.Data.Entity.Design.Package.MicrosoftDataEntotyDesignPackage

Any ideas how thats come about?
4   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
feline Posted - Nov 24 2008 : 11:05:47 AM
SvenC I am not sure what happened here. There are *very* occasional problems where syntax colouring does not work after installing VA, requiring a reset of the IDE fonts and colours. This is something I have never been able to reproduce on demand.

It is possible you ran into something like this. I am glad you seem to have fixed the problems.

Chris which OS are you using?
I have just installed VA 1707 over the top of VA 1649 on a Vista 64bit machine with VC6, VS2005 and VS2008 installed. All three IDE's are loading without any problems.

Did you have a previous version of VA installed? If so do you know which version?
Did you get any errors when you ran the installer?
Did you run the installer logged in as an administrator?

Does uninstalling VA and reinstalling VA 1707 make any difference?
SvenC Posted - Nov 22 2008 : 5:46:42 PM
Now I had a problem with my VC6 IDE: I opened a dsw file with VC6 for the first time. I saw that strings are not colored in magenta. So I opened the Options dialog to change the font and color settings of VS6. String was set to Automatic. The dialog did not show any fonts or font sizes and it could only by closed with Cancel. I close VS6 and it crashed. Telling me the crashing happened in DEVBLD.PKG.

Restarting VS6 did not help: the font and color settings still showed an empty font and font size combobox. Include directories were empty, also. Seems my user settings have got messed up.

I renamed hkcu\\software\\microsoft\\devstudio\\6.0 and started VS6 again. The 6.0 key was recreated with defaults. Default includes are back and customizing fonts and colors does work again. I could see that the devstudio\\6.0\\Format was totally missing in the backed up 6.0 key.

VAX was not loaded as the Addins key was also empty. I copied the backed up VisualAssist.DSAddin.1 key into 6.0\\addins and after restarting VS6 VAX was working again. Closing and starting VS6 now works without crashes. Up to now everything seems OK. Not sure what started the problem but it happened only on opening the first dsw after upgrading from 1649 to 1707.
ChrisWest Posted - Nov 22 2008 : 11:23:14 AM
Hi Sven
I will do a repair later as as you say its a microsoft package, but the fact remains my visual studio went from working fine, closed down, installed new visual assist and when vstudio was restarted there was a problem, the only thing done from a shutdown of VS to the problem appearing was installing VA.
SvenC Posted - Nov 22 2008 : 06:29:54 AM
Hi Chris,

just installed 1707 on vista x64 SP1 with VS2008 SP1 and have no problems.
You could try a repair install of VS2008 as the failing component sounds like a standard VS component.

--
SvenC

© 2023 Whole Tomato Software, LLC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000